• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Channel Isl Cali US (1 Viewer)

Nickk

When I was taking the pics I saw some white on the wings and Skua came to mind but after I uploaded and processed them I am thinking perhaps a Sooty Shearwater? Bird flew by what seem to be Northern Fulmars? feeding on a carcass which would also something a Skua would not do

Attachments

• 4022a.jpg
    4022a.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 4024a.jpg
    4024a.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 4026a.jpg
    4026a.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 4028a.jpg
    4028a.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 22
Northern Fulmars? feeding on a carcass which would also be something a Skua would not do.
Ummmmm...
I've seen Great Skua feed on a seal carcass...

There's quite an extensive literature of the subject, for example, see (re Brown Skua Stercorarius antarcticus):
Steffen Hahn, Hans-Ulrich Peter and Silke Bauer. 2005. Skuas at penguin carcass: patch use and state-dependent leaving decisions in a top-predator. Proc. R. Soc. B 272: 1449–1454. doi:10.1098/rspb.2005.3106
MJB

Ummmmm...
I've seen Great Skua feed on a seal carcass...

There's quite an extensive literature of the subject, for example, see (re Brown Skua Stercorarius antarcticus):
Steffen Hahn, Hans-Ulrich Peter and Silke Bauer. 2005. Skuas at penguin carcass: patch use and state-dependent leaving decisions in a top-predator. Proc. R. Soc. B 272: 1449–1454. doi:10.1098/rspb.2005.3106
MJB
I meant flying by and landing 20-30 ft away vs diving right in to feed

STAL = Short-tailed Albatross
Thank you for helping me out by explaining on behalf of the other user.
My purely personal opinion is that it would be nicer, and more inclusive, if people didn't use such abbreviations unless the context makes their meaning obvious.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back