• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Charadriformes changes (1 Viewer)

Snapdragyn

Charadriiformes changes

Another interesting article. Supports some of the other recent work on this group, with some scattered fun tidbits. Although they don't make taxonomic suggestions, it does look like the Scolopacid subfamilies may need some revision:

Baker et. al. (2007)

Last edited:
The AOU has only recently made some major changes to the Scolopacids, but it seems that more may be on the horizon. However, the authors stressed the fact that more data is needed before any taxonomic changes are made. Inreresting to see that they don't seem to think the seedsnipes (see correction below) are Charadriformes at all. There are a few other interesting anomalies as well.

Tom

Last edited:
They place the seedsnipes (+ plains-wanderer) well inside the Charadriiformes (as sister of the Jacana–Painted-snipe clade) – did you mean something else?

Xenospiza said:
They place the seedsnipes (+ plains-wanderer) well inside the Charadriiformes (as sister of the Jacana–Painted-snipe clade) – did you mean something else?
Thanks; you are absolutely correct. When I looked again I saw that they were saying the Sandgrouse are not shorebirds and I think I must have somehow missread it as seedsnipes. I didn't know that anyone ever did think that sandgrouse could be shorebirds, which is probably why I misread it.

Tom

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back