• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Charadriiformes (1 Viewer)

"Shouldn't that be Xylocota instead of Homoptilura?"
Well Xylocota is oldest (1839) but the type used by Bonaparte is paludosa Gmelin 1789.
t.1 (1832-1841) - Iconografia della fauna italica - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
So undulata Bodd has priority over paludosa.
Homoptilura Gray is from 1840.
A List of the genera of birds . Page 70. Gray uses undulata Bodd and sabini Vigors.
Then in 1841 he says must use Enalius Kaup 1829. Kaup sole type is sabini Vigors 1825.
c. 1 - Skizzirte Entwickelungs-Geschichte und natürliches System der europäischen Thierwelt - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
So if only species is undulata then Xylocota should be used. What is the type of Chubbia?

I have questions about what is stricklandii/stricklandi and I have questions about dating of that name and its authorship. It may date from the 1870’s and so that taxon may have another name. I post cryptic posts on birdforum as notes to myself about my many questions. Workshopping these issues with people with much more skills is helpful to me. I have tried hard to figure out what is Scolopax paludosa Gm.? I cannot find it. I found Scolopax paludosa Retzius 1800 which I’m not sure is a binomal name but at least that work referred me to a work by Latham and one by Buffon.
Faunae suecicae a Carolo à Linné equ. inchoatae pars prima - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
I first became aware of this name in Priority! Dickinson et al in 2011.
Fair use? “ Most confusion has concerned the spelling and dating of a snipe named for Strickland. This first appeared in 1844 as Gallinago Stricklandii, a nomen nudum except for speculative links, i.e. with question marks, to Scolopax paludosa Gmel., and to “Pl. enl. 895”, which because of the expressed doubt do not count as “indications”. It appeared as “Scolopax stricklandii G.R. Gray” on plate 23⁴ of Gray (1845) from this work, and in Jun next year as Gallinago stricklandi in part 26 of The Genera of Birds (1844-49) by G.R. Gray (1846). Otherwise the name appears as Scolopax stricklandii [sic] in Sharpe’s text on p. 37 in 1875, and as Scolopax stricklandi in the list of plates on the next page. These two spellings date from 1875; thus the original spelling is that on plate 23.” I might have eye problems but I cannot find any name on the plate.
Also if there is a new understanding about Scolopax paludosa Bonaparte’s genus name Xylocota might not be able to be used for undulata Bodd. There is a recent dating article on these Erebus & Terror names .
http://hbs.bishopmuseum.org/dating/sherbornia/issues/s02-02.pdf . But I mention the Polar Record 2021 article in case someone had read it or to remind me to order it for $26 to see if it provides what I’m looking for.
Here is Boddaert 1783 S. undulata: Table des planches enluminéez d'histoire naturelle de M. D'Aubenton - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
Planche 895: t.9 - Planches enluminées d'histoire naturelle - Biodiversity Heritage Library

Last edited:
... I have tried hard to figure out what is Scolopax paludosa Gm.? I cannot find it. I found Scolopax paludosa Retzius 1800 ...
Scolopax paludosa Gmelin, 1789 (here, alt. here).

Re. your link to Linnaeus's (posthumous) Fauna suecicae, from 1800, also note that the Suecis (Swedish) name Horsgök (mentioned/listed in this book) is an old Swedish name for the Common/European Snipe Gallinago gallinago (Linnaeus, 1758).

If of any use/help?

/B

Last edited:
I might have eye problems but I cannot find any name on the plate.

The name is there, though: 1 - The zoology of the voyage of the H.M.S. Erebus & Terror - Biodiversity Heritage Library
"SCOLOPAX STRICKLANDII G.R. Gray"

Also if there is a new understanding about Scolopax paludosa Bonaparte’s genus name Xylocota might not be able to be used for undulata Bodd.

Scolopax undulata Boddaert 1783 and S. paludosa Gmelin 1789 are ultimately both based on Pl. Enl. 895 (= "Bécasse des savanes" of Buffon (Boddaert cited this edition, Gmelin this edition), and "Savanna Woodcock" of Latham (here)).
It seems very improbable to me that any new understanding could affect one of these names but not the other.

Last edited:
Thank you, Bjorn. I just could not find that citation! And thanks for the Swedish help. I think some old ornithologists thought the woodcocks and snipes were all the same from the arctic circle to Guyana. Thanks Laurent I see the name now! And I also now see that both Gmelin and Boddaert names derive from Pl. no. 895.
That plate predates Buffon’s work Histoire Naturelle Oiseaux. But what is the source of that drawing? I’m thinking it was in Buffon’s earlier work?
Fr. Hennipin and Sieur de la Borde voyaged in Quebec and Minnesota, Illinois, Florida, Louisiana, and the Antilles as well as Guyana. Or maybe with Sieur La Salle? Late 1600s? Buffon offered up taxonomic linkage in the DNA of its day (1780) of Becasse Savanna Cayenne to the European woodcock : “M. de la Borde, who made these observations in Cayenne, assures us that the flesh of the woodcock from the Savannah is at least as good as that of the woodcock from France.
Histoire naturelle des oiseaux. Tome 7 / par M. le Comte de Buffon,... | Gallica .
I want to thank all who helped me in reading Roscove 2021(Polar Record). Well written and what a mess for bibliographers. He dates stricklandii (plate 23) to April 1845. Dickinson in Priority!, dated it as 1845. In a publication by George Gray dated 1844 it states: “The SOUTHERN SNIPE. GALLINAGO Stricklandii. Sco-lopax paludosa, Gmel. ? PL. enl. 895 ? a. Terra del Fuego. Presented by Sir W. Burnett and Capt. Fitzroy, R.N. b. Male. St. Martin's Cove, Hermite Island (Antarctic Expedition). Presented by the Admiralty. c. Female. Hermite Island (Antarctic Expedition). Presented by the Admiralty.
Why did George Gray in 1844 not mention plate 23? Because it did not exist. Dickinson et al 2011 says those question marks after the indications to Gmelin and D’aubenton’s drawing make this a nomen nuda I think the name stricklandii for a snipe is unavailable. Scolopax undulata is from French Guyana not Tierra del Fuego . Strickland died in September 1843 but Gray fouled up his dedication. As Dickinson et al 2011 states Gray in 1846 says, “ 21. G. Stricklandii G. R. Gray, Voy. Ereb. & Terr. Birds Pl. 33.” This is a drawing of Procellaria antarctica. He obviously meant plate 23. The problem is that stricklandii is still invalid or unavailable.
v.3 (1844-1849) - The genera of birds - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
Bruce 2023 dates part 26 as June 1846.
The name which is available or valid for a Tierra del Fuego snipe is Scolopax meridionalis Peale. 1848.
United States Exploring Expedition During the Years 1838, 1839, 1840, 1841, 1842 . Page 229.
Of course some think this work was cancelled as Cassin rewrote it in 1858?
Exotic Ornithology by Sclater and Salvin has an interesting mention of this bird .
Exotic ornithology - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
Bruce & Bahr in the Sherbornia article about the Tooth-billed Pigeon says : Scolopax meridionalis [229] / Scolopax meridionalis [310] / Chubbia stricklandii [D61.88] Now Gallinago stricklandii (HM4, HBW, IOC, CCBW). I think that should be reversed.

Last edited:
The name is there, though: 1 - The zoology of the voyage of the H.M.S. Erebus & Terror - Biodiversity Heritage Library
"SCOLOPAX STRICKLANDII G.R. Gray"

Scolopax undulata Boddaert 1783 and S. paludosa Gmelin 1789 are ultimately both based on Pl. Enl. 895 (= "Bécasse des savanes" of Buffon (Boddaert cited this edition, Gmelin this edition), and "Savanna Woodcock" of Latham (here)).
It seems very improbable to me that any new understanding could affect one of these names but not the other.
Cerny given me some explanation :

To address your question, does Xylocota Bonaparte, 1839 take priority over Homoptilura Gray, 1840? It depends. Xylocota is typified by Scolopax paludosa Gmelin, 1789, which is not recognized as a valid species in current taxonomies. While some authorities (e.g., Richmond 1917) indeed treat it as a junior subjective synonym of Scolopax undulata Boddaert, 1783, AviBase (Lepage et al. 2014) suggests it should instead be regarded as a junior subjective synonym of Scolopax media Latham, 1787 (= Gallinago media). I haven't checked Gmelin's work; it might be that his diagnosis of the species no longer makes it possible to establish exactly which species of Gallinago his paludosa was meant to represent. If that were the case, or if Scolopax paludosa = Gallinago media, Xylocota would not be eligible as a new genus name for "G." undulata.
In any case, I think we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. The placement of undulata apart from the rest of Gallinago is currently based on a single mitochondrial gene (COI), and as such does not provide a solid basis for taxonomic changes. And even if the need for such a change was corroborated by additional data, someone should probably first make sure that Xylocota and Homoptilura are not nomina oblita according to ICZN criteria.

That plate predates Buffon’s work Histoire Naturelle Oiseaux. But what is the source of that drawing? I’m thinking it was in Buffon’s earlier work?

The Planches enluminées were produced at the instigation of Buffon, and for his future work.

He dates stricklandii (plate 23) to April 1845. Dickinson in Priority!, dated it as 1845. In a publication by George Gray dated 1844 it states: “The SOUTHERN SNIPE. GALLINAGO Stricklandii. Sco-lopax paludosa, Gmel. ? PL. enl. 895 ? a. Terra del Fuego. Presented by Sir W. Burnett and Capt. Fitzroy, R.N. b. Male. St. Martin's Cove, Hermite Island (Antarctic Expedition). Presented by the Admiralty. c. Female. Hermite Island (Antarctic Expedition). Presented by the Admiralty. Why did George Gray in 1844 not mention plate 23? Because it did not exist. Dickinson et al 2011 says those question marks after the indications to Gmelin and D’aubenton’s drawing make this a nomen nuda I think the name stricklandii for a snipe is unavailable.

As indicated by Dickinson et al 2011, the name was nude in 1844 (the species was not described; a name can certainly not be deemed to have been expressly proposed in replacement of an already available name which is merely cited as a possible earlier synonym; the bird illustrated on the published Pl. Enl. 895 was associated to it with expressed reservations and could therefore not be deemed been part of the type series; the mere listing of the specimens collected by the Antarctic Expedition does not in itself represent an indication); stricklandii has therefore no nomenclatural standing whatsoever in this publication.
But this name was published on Gray's plate in 1845, together with an illustration of the species, which was enough to make it available (see ICZN 12.2.7), with the illustrated specimen as its type. (Or, arguably, specimen(s) -- an illustration does not necessarily need to have been produced using a single specimen.)

Cerny given me some explanation :

To address your question, does Xylocota Bonaparte, 1839 take priority over Homoptilura Gray, 1840? It depends. Xylocota is typified by Scolopax paludosa Gmelin, 1789, which is not recognized as a valid species in current taxonomies. While some authorities (e.g., Richmond 1917) indeed treat it as a junior subjective synonym of Scolopax undulata Boddaert, 1783, AviBase (Lepage et al. 2014) suggests it should instead be regarded as a junior subjective synonym of Scolopax media Latham, 1787 (= Gallinago media). I haven't checked Gmelin's work; it might be that his diagnosis of the species no longer makes it possible to establish exactly which species of Gallinago his paludosa was meant to represent. If that were the case, or if Scolopax paludosa = Gallinago media, Xylocota would not be eligible as a new genus name for "G." undulata.
In any case, I think we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. The placement of undulata apart from the rest of Gallinago is currently based on a single mitochondrial gene (COI), and as such does not provide a solid basis for taxonomic changes. And even if the need for such a change was corroborated by additional data, someone should probably first make sure that Xylocota and Homoptilura are not nomina oblita according to ICZN criteria.

As I noted above (post #147), both Scolopax undulata Boddaert 1783 and S. paludosa Gmelin 1789 have the bird illustrated on Planche Enluminée 895 as their type, hence they are objective, not subjective synonyms. As a consequence, Xylocota Bonaparte 1839 and Homoptilura Gray 1840 are objective synonyms too.
As Mark noted above (post #145), Anders Jåhan Retzius also used "Scolopax paludosa" for a Swedish bird, in an 1800 re-edition of Linnaeus' Fauna Svecica, associating it to a rather vague description which may indeed have been intended for Great Snipe. Retzius attributed the name he was using to "Lath. Ind. 2. p. 714.", i.e. to Latham, in Index ornithologicus, vol. 2 : 714, where the name was explicitly attributed to Gmelin. IOW, Retzius used Gmelin's name, the type of which was South American, for a Swedish species -- which can only have been an error. Although the Richmond Index has a separate card for "Scolopax paludosa Retzius 1800", Retzius' use of the name actually has zero nomenclatural standing under the current Code, as it was demonstrably a mere misapplication of Gmelin's name by Retzius. (I.e., it does not have the status of junior homonym; it should be cited as Scolopax paludosa Gmelin sensu Retzius, rather than as S. paludosa Retzius nec Gmelin.)
It's true that, in Avibase, "Scolopax paludosa" (no authority provided) is listed as a synonym of Gallinago media -- this obviously derives from Retzius' erroneous interpretation, not from Gmelin's original name proposal, and is indeed a bit unfortunate. (On the other hand, one might probably question the wisdom of trying to use Avibase as a source of thorough scientific synonymies, as the website seems unlikely to have ever intended to fulfil this function.)

A nomen oblitum is "a name, unused since 1899, which as a result of an action taken under Article 23.9.2 does not take precedence over a younger synonym or homonym in prevailing usage" (ICZN, Glossary). Xylocota and Homoptilura lack homonyms, and have no younger synonym in prevailing usage. (Since 1 Jan 2000 -- the date on which the current Art. 23.9.2 came into force -- they have both been universally placed in the synonymy of Gallinago, which is older than them.) As a result, it is basically impossible that an action taken under Art. 23.9.2 might have concerned them, and these names can thus certainly NOT be nomina oblita.
Note that being unused since 1899 (or whichever other date) does NOT make a name a nomen oblitum. (It is the action taken under Art. 23.9.2, in a post-1999 publication, that does.)
Note also that being a nomen oblitum does NOT necessarily make a name invalid. ("In the case of subjective synonymy [between the two names concerned by the action taken under Art. 23.9.2], whenever the names are not regarded as synonyms the older name [= the nomen oblitum] may be used as valid.")

As I noted above (post #147), both Scolopax undulata Boddaert 1783 and S. paludosa Gmelin 1789 have the bird illustrated on Planche Enluminée 895 as their type, hence they are objective, not subjective synonyms. As a consequence, Xylocota Bonaparte 1839 and Homoptilura Gray 1840 are objective synonyms too.
As Mark noted above (post #145), Anders Jåhan Retzius also used "Scolopax paludosa" for a Swedish bird, in an 1800 re-edition of Linnaeus' Fauna Svecica, associating it to a rather vague description which may indeed have been intended for Great Snipe. Retzius attributed the name he was using to "Lath. Ind. 2. p. 714.", i.e. to Latham, in Index ornithologicus, vol. 2 : 714, where the name was explicitly attributed to Gmelin. IOW, Retzius used Gmelin's name, the type of which was South American, for a Swedish species -- which can only have been an error. Although the Richmond Index has a separate card for "Scolopax paludosa Retzius 1800", Retzius' use of the name actually has zero nomenclatural standing under the current Code, as it was demonstrably a mere misapplication of Gmelin's name by Retzius. (I.e., it does not have the status of junior homonym; it should be cited as Scolopax paludosa Gmelin sensu Retzius, rather than as S. paludosa Retzius nec Gmelin.)
It's true that, in Avibase, "Scolopax paludosa" (no authority provided) is listed as a synonym of Gallinago media -- this obviously derives from Retzius' erroneous interpretation, not from Gmelin's original name proposal, and is indeed a bit unfortunate. (On the other hand, one might probably question the wisdom of trying to use Avibase as a source of thorough scientific synonymies, as the website seems unlikely to have ever intended to fulfil this function.)

A nomen oblitum is "a name, unused since 1899, which as a result of an action taken under Article 23.9.2 does not take precedence over a younger synonym or homonym in prevailing usage" (ICZN, Glossary). Xylocota and Homoptilura lack homonyms, and have no younger synonym in prevailing usage. (Since 1 Jan 2000 -- the date on which the current Art. 23.9.2 came into force -- they have both been universally placed in the synonymy of Gallinago, which is older than them.) As a result, it is basically impossible that an action taken under Art. 23.9.2 might have concerned them, and these names can thus certainly NOT be nomina oblita.
Note that being unused since 1899 (or whichever other date) does NOT make a name a nomen oblitum. (It is the action taken under Art. 23.9.2, in a post-1999 publication, that does.)
Note also that being a nomen oblitum does NOT necessarily make a name invalid. ("In the case of subjective synonymy [between the two names concerned by the action taken under Art. 23.9.2], whenever the names are not regarded as synonyms the older name [= the nomen oblitum] may be used as valid.")
David Cerny should read all these comments

Great posts Laurent and Jim. As for Planches enluminées d'histoire naturelle 35 are of other animals besides birds (28 insects, 3 reptiles & amphibians, 4 corals). I am not arguing with Laurent about the ICZN Code but I do not like the result.

First: Hugh E. Strckland died in 1853 not 1843.

The George Gray mention of Gallinago Stricklandii in his 1844 List mentions first a bird collected by Captain Fitzroy of the Beagle. Fitzroy and his sailors kept a separate collection of skins. Separate from those collected by Charles Darwin.

The years of that voyage were from 1831 to 1836.

Voyage of HMS Beagle (1831-1836) | Natural History Museum .

https://nhm.openrepository.com/bits...rys Jones et al001.pdf?sequence=3&isAllowed=y .

The voyage of the Erebus & Terror to antarctica started in 1839 and came back to England in September 1843. The 222 bird skins were given to the British Museum in 1844.

v.2 [Birds] (1906) - The history of the collections contained in the Natural history departments of the British museum... - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

At that time George Gray was assistant keeper of birds of that museum. Strickland in 1840 wrote a very critical article about George Gray’s publication. Genera of Birds.

The next two birds in the collection mentioned by Gray in 1844 were a male and female collected by M’Cormick naturalist of the Erebus.

https://nora.nerc.ac.uk/id/eprint/529063/1/STONE. Falkland Islands Journal 2020 11(4) 15-37-2.pdf .

I think collected in 1842 on Isla Hermite Tierra del Fuego.

“Ross sailed for Isla Hermite, near Cabo de Hornos, on 8 September 1842,”

https://www.hakluyt.com/downloadable_files/Journal/Campbell_Part1_Introduction.pdf .

The Erebus & Terror two specimens are reported in Warren.

stricklandii — Scolopax stricklandii G. R. Gray, ]S45 . .16 The Zoologv of the Voyage of H.M.S. Erehus & Terror; Birds : pi. 23. Syntype, Adult niale. Reg.no. 1844.1.18.134. St. Martin's Cove, Hermit Island, Cape Horn, 3 Oct. 1842. Presented by the Admiralty. The female syntype is also in the collection.

George Gray did not go to the two universities like Strickland and Darwin. Darwin was on the committee for the Strickland code. Some call Strickland a mentor of Darwin. I think stricklandii is a Darwin MS for Fitzroy’s bird published by Gray in 1844.

In the first published part of the Zoology of HMS Erebus & Terror only the plate (23) with the name on it was published. Hutton in 1871 prior to the new parts in 1874-75 states “Gallinago pusilla. In its colors this bird resembles the figure of G. stricklandii Gray in the Voyages of the Erebus and Terror pl. 33 of which there is no description nor locality given” P. L. Sclater in 1860 says “Many specimens of birds were also collected at the Falkland islands by officers of the ships Erebus and Terror during the Antarctic Expedition and though the Zoology of that voyage has unfortunately never been completed the localities of the specimens have been recorded in the List of the British Museum in which they were deposited”

pt.28 (1860) - Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

The indication of locality in a publication that listed a nomen nuda for Stricklandii published on a different date and in different publication does not seem enough.

George Gray in 1844 in the Annals and Magazine of Natural History says “As a lengthened account of these birds will be given in the forth-coming work on the Zoological Collections brought home by Capt. Sir James Ross's Antarctic Expedition, it is unnecessary to enter more into detail for the present.”

v.13=no.81-86 (1844) - The Annals and magazine of natural history - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

“The official zoological report appeared in parts, but was only published in complete form in 1875. Even then, the only appearance of the emperor

penguin was in the form of a figure drawn by the natural history illustrator Joseph Wolf [FIGURE 2]. Though in itself of considerable interest, it was hardly the detailed description that Gray had promised some 21 (31?) years earlier.”

https://pureadmin.qub.ac.uk/ws/portalfiles/portal/149373353/Crozier_s_penguin_AM.pdf .

The magazine article and a drawing seems like a measly amount of information compared to the published text in the Zoology of Erebus etc. that includes full descriptions, measurements etc.

Roscove 2021 says that original state first reports are rare. Only one online.

With a wrapper of the Birds dated April 1845 as a title page.

https://books.google.com/books?id=A...ned+from+other+sources.&source=gbs_navlinks_s .

Zoonomen’s take on G. stricklandii is here:

http://www.zoonomen.net/avtax/n/s.html#G.stricklandiiCite .

Just a minor, tiny detail ... (in the margins of this topic/thread)
As Mark noted above (post #145), Anders Jåhan Retzius ...
Laurent, the Swedish naturalist "Anders Jåhan Retzius" (above) = Anders Jahan Retzius (1742–1821), at times latinized into Andreas Johannes Retzius, (like in his Faunae suecicae a Carolo à Linné equ. ..., from 1800, link in post #145).

See the Swedish National Archive, here.

And note that the Biografi/Biography Part starts with the text:
R var mycket noga med förnamnet Jahan, även om han någon gång latiniserade det 'Johannes". Det hade getts i erinran om en frejdad släkting, Jahan (Retzius) Rosenstolpe. ...
R [Retzius] was very careful [read; fussy/finicky] with the Given name Jahan, even if he some [few] times latinized it 'Johannes'. It was given in remembrance of a renowned relative Jahan (Retzius) Rosenstolpe. ...

Also see the Swedish version of the same book (1772):

inledning till DJUR-RIKET (1772).jpg
/B

Last edited:
In reference to Laurent's explanation of the error that is Scolopax paludosa Gmelin sensu Retzius,John Latham in 1824 gets squishy on differences of Great Snipe and Savann Woodcock but in the end he keeps them two species.
v.9 (1824) - A general history of birds - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
In the Zoology accession register for BMNH regester of birds of Erebus & Terror calls the types of stricklandii: Scolopax (cayenensis). A Gmelin and Latham name. Not sure what that is today.
Collection specimens - Specimens - 1844.1.18.134 - Data Portal .

The Return of the Hanuman Plover

THE HANUMAN PLOVER, a small whitish shorebird named after a Hindu god, has been reinstated as a distinct species after being lumped with the Kentish plover for almost a century. This remarkable discovery was made possible by DNA sequencing, which revealed subtle but significant differences between the two groups. The Hanuman plover (Charadrius seebohmi) lives in Sri Lanka and southern lndia, where it breeds on sandy beaches and salt pans. It was first described as a separate species in 1880 but was later merged with the Kentish plover (Charadrius alexandrinus) in the 1930s, as both species were considered to be too sim ilar to tell apart. However, recent advances in molecular techniques have allowed scientists to revisit the taxonomic status of the Hanuman plover and confirm that it is indeed a valid species.

https://www.internationalornithology.org/PDF/IOU_flutter_5-3.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back