• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheap Arca-Style plates on Amazon (1 Viewer)

SteveClifton

Just a quick heads-up on these plates, available on Amazon for around £15 (they look quite new, but no customer reviews on them as yet):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_pg_2?rh=n%3A560798%2Ck%3Akiwifotos&page=2&keywords=kiwifotos&ie=UTF8&qid=1308774195&ajr=0#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=kiwifotos+lens+plates&rh=n%3A560798%2Ck%3Akiwifotos+lens+plates

I have tried (and own) a number of other cheap 'Arca' plates, most of which don't fit properly into my 2 Wimberley clamps, and in particular, don't allow use of the safety end-stop screws, which prevent the lens from inadvertently sliding out of the clamp if not tightened properly.

I ordered (and received today) an LP-100 plate from them on Monday. The finish is pretty good-anodized aluminium, which has a very slight 'tooth' compared to the silky smooth Wimberley P-20 plates I own. It has very similar but subtly different anti-twist flanges at one end, but is otherwise functionally almost identical in use. The screws aren't of quite the same quality either, but look to be about 90% as good.

The only real difference I can see, is that when seated in the C-12 clamp, the Kiwifotos plate needs about another 1 1/2 turns of the clamp screw to lock it tight, due to the dovetail being cut about 1mm lower into the side of the plate compared with the Wimberley. The width of the plate is virtually the same, however. Therefore it probably wouldn't be suitable for the newer lever-release type clamps, unless they are the only plates you use.

I'm not sure I would risk a heavy 500 or 600f4 on one of these, but if you have a few smaller lenses weighing around 1kg, they could save you quite a bit on the cost of original Wimberley/Kirk/Arca/Markins etc plates, which all seem to be around the £40-£50 mark.

Last edited:
I have on Kirk and one Wimberley plate - both very expensive but nicely made. They in no way justify their price, after all they are only a bit of machined alloy strip, a couple of screws, and a scratch prone finish. However they are the "best" available or so I am told.
I recently purchased 2 x 60mm Fotopro PL60 plates ( from a well known auction site) - they are fine on my Wimberley & other clamps - well made and have safety studs to prevent accidents - approx £11 each.
I won't be looking any further!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back