• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chemical Fog Use? (1 Viewer)

Anthony Morton

I'm not sure if this has already been covered - if so, my apologies - or how old it is, but I've just read a snippet in a magazine that (quote)

'Officials in Indianapolis, USA, plan to spray a chemical fog to chase away starlings that have been making a mess of statues and pavements.

'According to the head of the Indiana War Memorial Commission, the chemical in the fog is not harmful to humans but is like pepper spray to the starlings.'

A species-specific chemical which targets only starlings seems unlikely in my opinion, so what effect might it have on other birds?

Everything I have read says it works well. It may wilt leaves on near by trees, shrubs, ect...

PHP:
A species-specific chemical which targets only starlings seems unlikely in my opinion, so what effect might it have on other birds?

The person applying this through the fogger should have the knowledge to keep other birds from being misted. So no it would not be species specific chemical. Hopefully it does a jam up job on pigeons as well ;)

tmac said:
Everything I have read says it works well. It may wilt leaves on near by trees, shrubs, ect...

PHP:

The person applying this through the fogger should have the knowledge to keep other birds from being misted. So no it would not be species specific chemical. Hopefully it does a jam up job on pigeons as well ;)

Hi tmac my only problem with these sort of deterents is that they tend to just move the problem else where , I would also like some assurances that these chemicals would not affect birds higher up the food chain.
If as you say the chemical wilts leaves and shrubs what effect would they have on predators that eat the starlings pigeons ect and is there a build up in the system these things often seem a good idea but so did DDT and we all know what havoc that caused .
I am not a great believer in the use of chemicals as they generally cause more problems than they solve .

tmac said:
I am not fond of Chemicals either. Let me direct you to the mfg of one company.

http://www.birdtec-usa.com/

If you find out how well this worked or anymore information please post me the results.

Hi tmac thanks for the link although having read it Im even more suspicious in their blurb they advocate spraying grassed areas to stop nuisance(their words ) grazing by geese and also the spraying of berry crops to stop birds feeding on them a long way from moving along a few starlings or pigeons, they go on to say that these chemicals have no lasting effects ,good to hear that then dont you think :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back