• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

    You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Chernobyl Exclusion zone (1 Viewer)

SerpUa

Active member
to kingwolf
Did you ask about ability to make a touristical visit on the territory of Exclution zone (in your previos question)? Sorry for my bad English. What did you mean "general public can enter the zone"? I decide that you ask about permanent residence.
 

Vectis Birder

Itchy feet
SerpUa said:
Hello All!

I'm working at the territory of Chernobyl Exclusion zone.
Birds are one of favorites object for my naturalistically investigation.
Especially birds of prey.
Hope find here more practical information about this magnificent creatures.

Best wishes!

Wow, that's some local patch! I was reading in National Geographic some time ago about how wildlife has taken over Pripyat and the Chernobyl exclusion zone. It was very interesting reading.
 

kingwolf

Well-known member
SerpUa said:
to kingwolf
Did you ask about ability to make a touristical visit on the territory of Exclution zone (in your previos question)? Sorry for my bad English. What did you mean "general public can enter the zone"? I decide that you ask about permanent residence.

What I was thinking was "eco-tourisom" so that people paid to enter the "exclusion zone" (obviously only when it is safe to) if it was being managed as a nature reserve. I thought that this would increase income for the area and aide the management of the area.

Don't worry about your English it is very good - I cant write the amount you are in a foreign language.

What I meant about general public entering the zone was just visiting it and not acctually permantly residing within it.
 

SerpUa

Active member
kingwolf said:
What I was thinking was "eco-tourisom" so that people paid to enter the "exclusion zone" (obviously only when it is safe to) if it was being managed as a nature reserve. I thought that this would increase income for the area and aide the management of the area.

Don't worry about your English it is very good - I cant write the amount you are in a foreign language.

What I meant about general public entering the zone was just visiting it and not acctually permantly residing within it.

I see.
Nowadays anyone may to get into Chernobyl Exclution zone. Approx 1 or 2 thousand visitors coming to exclution zone every year. They are interesting of abounded Pripat city, “Shelter” object, Nuclear power plant and so on.
For realization of visit needs only special permit. And fervent wish.
 

Jos Stratford

Beast from the East
Hi SerpUa,

Visited the neighbouring area in Belarus earlier this year - fantastic part of the world. Do you have any idea on the population of Azure Tit in the exclusion zone? Concerning access, you say you need a special permit - is it easy to get and would one need to apply long in advance? Am probably going to be in the area again this coming winter or spring and would be interested in the exclusion zone too.
 

SerpUa

Active member
to Jos Stratford
If you want – I can help you preparing and make official permission to Exclution zone. Only in zone. (Sorry, but I don’t know of embassy procedure).
About Parus cyanus (Azure Tit). I don’t remember this bird. It may be because my ornithological experience is not enough.
 

Jos Stratford

Beast from the East
SerpUa said:
to Jos Stratford
If you want – I can help you preparing and make official permission to Exclution zone. Only in zone. (Sorry, but I don’t know of embassy procedure).
About Parus cyanus (Azure Tit). I don’t remember this bird. It may be because my ornithological experience is not enough.


Parus cyanus I saw in the excellent Pripyat valley in Belarus - if I came into the Chernobyl area, it would be more to see the general wildlife, which I fully understand to be amazing. Permission for me to enter Ukraine is straightforward, I can get a standard tourist visa from here. If I may, I would like to contact you a little nearer the spring - my idea is to pop over to Pripyat again and Chernobyl is so near, why not? (it is only a four or five hour drive from my front door ;) )
 

kingwolf

Well-known member
SerpUa said:
I see.
Nowadays anyone may to get into Chernobyl Exclution zone. Approx 1 or 2 thousand visitors coming to exclution zone every year. They are interesting of abounded Pripat city, “Shelter” object, Nuclear power plant and so on.
For realization of visit needs only special permit. And fervent wish.

Thats interesting to here - maybe one day I will make it out there!
 

SerpUa

Active member
Jos Stratford said:
Parus cyanus I saw in the excellent Pripyat valley in Belarus - if I came into the Chernobyl area, it would be more to see the general wildlife, which I fully understand to be amazing. If I may, I would like to contact you a little nearer the spring - my idea is to pop over to Pripyat again and Chernobyl is so near, why not? (it is only a four or five hour drive from my front door ;) )
OK. But don’t forget that organization of permit require a lot of time (2-3 weeks). For discussion more detail of visit demand write in private, please.
(it is only a four or five hour drive from my front door)
Are you live in Byelorussia? Are you neighbor of Ukraine?
You are absolutely right – wildlife of exclusion zone is very attractive (for naturalist).

Below I want to demonstrate of some photo of my four-days walk expedition in exclusion zone. Main expedition purpose was search of Black Stork nest.
 

Attachments

  • BF_001.jpg
    BF_001.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 272
  • BF_002.jpg
    BF_002.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 230
  • BF_003.jpg
    BF_003.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 250
  • BF_004.jpg
    BF_004.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 243

jurek

Well-known member
Nice pictures! Remind me of some parts of NE Poland.

I wonder which forests and marshes in Ukraine are best for birds. Polesie is said to be great?
 

johnraven

Well-known member
Its shocking how well wildlife does if you just remove the humans. Never mind the horrendous radioactive pollution, they just need no humans. I prefer the idea of people never going back to this area, including ecotourists. Nature needs somewhere without the human threat, and then it can flourish.
 

kingwolf

Well-known member
Unfortunatly teh area will need money to be run and managed properly for the benefit of the wildlife (other wise succession will occur and the wildlfie there will move on out) which is why you need to have some income be it just from groups or as a full NR where any one can visit.
 

Arbu

Well-known member
Going there on Monday, just on a standard tour. Anything I should look out for? Azure Tits would be good.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top