• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (1 Viewer)

Yesterday - Black Redstart, 2 Mediterranean Gulls, Great Skua, Guillemot, Whimbrel and Velvet Scoter at Hilbre; Great White Egret and 25+ Siskins at Woolston Eyes; 2+ Arctic Terns, 100+ Common Terns, 3 Mediterranean Gulls and Arctic Skua at New Brighton;

CB

And personally I don't buy all that alarmist guff about declining House Sparrow numbers. Sure, there are less of them in the big towns and cities but we have more in our village now than I can ever remember.

Too right! Last year in Norfolk I saw more Turtle doves than I have for many years. I don't know what all the fuss is about, they're obviously thriving . . .

Breathtaking ignorance.

Today - Great White Egret and 3 Green Sandpipers at Woolston Eyes;

Yesterday - Great White Egret at Woolston Eyes; Red Kite, Turnstone, 4 Avocets and Common Tern at Frodsham; 19 Whimbrel at Port Sunlight;

CB

July 21st - Great White Egret, 3 Green Sandpipers and 3 Common Terns at Woolston Eyes; 12 Whimbrel, Mediterranean Gull, 980 Sandwich Terns and 30 Common Terns at Hilbre; 13 Whimbrel and 4 Mediterranean Gulls at Heswall; 4 Spotted Redshanks at Burton Mere Wetlands;

July 22nd - Great White Egret at Woolston Eyes; Little Egret at Risley Moss; 3 Spotted Redshanks at Burton Mere Wetlands; 4 Whimbrel and Mediterranean Gull at Heswall;

CB

Yesterday - Serin reported near Burton Mere Wetlands also 3 Spotted Redshanks there; Great White Egret at Hale; 40+ Whimbrel and 3 Mediterranean Gulls at Thurstaston; Arctic Skua at Hoylake; Mediterranean Gulls at Wallasey and West Kirby ML; Little Gull at Frodsham; Common Scoter at Doddington Pool;

CB

Where's the best place to view the Dee from the Wirral? Looking at Heswall and Thurstaston especially, wouldn't mind seeing 80+ Whimbrel!

Not sure if you guys class it as Cheshire, but I had a juv dipper, kingfisher and spotted flycatcher at Etherow Country Park yesterday. Also looks like tufties bred there, with a female and three young around a nest.

Any more info on what other species they get there, other than mandarin? The woodland looks like it could hold pied fly and redstart. Anyone know of previous records??

Adam

Where's the best place to view the Dee from the Wirral? Looking at Heswall and Thurstaston especially, wouldn't mind seeing 80+ Whimbrel!

Heswall and Thurstaston are certainly good for Whimbrel, although numbers fluctuate a lot. The 80+ were seen off Thurstaston on a neap high tide. With tide heights now increasing rapidly over the next week or so your best bet is either to go to Heswall (Banks Road car park) and walk towards Thurstaston at least two hours before high tide, i.e. as the tide comes in so the birds are flying towards you. Or try Thurstaston shore at low tide - the causeway going out from Dee Sailing Club is a good spot.

Not sure if you guys class it as Cheshire, but I had a juv dipper, kingfisher and spotted flycatcher at Etherow Country Park yesterday. Also looks like tufties bred there, with a female and three young around a nest.

Any more info on what other species they get there, other than mandarin? The woodland looks like it could hold pied fly and redstart. Anyone know of previous records??

Adam

Hi Adam,

Yes, it's outside the current Cheshire boundary. Many birders still use the pre-1974 boundaries which include the Stockport/Hyde area but exclude the area on Warrington north of the river Mersey/MSC - see this link for more info (http://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/coun...shire_east/cheshires_changing_boundaries.aspx).

Etherow has an Egyptian Goose but I think Redstart and Pied Flycatcher are both rare migrants here.

CB

Today - Great Skua and 20 Manx Shearwaters at Hoylake;

Yesterday – Great White Egret at Pickering’s Pasture; 20+ Whimbrel at Thurstaston; 6 Little Ringed Plovers, Spotted Redshank, Green Sandpiper and 70+ Little Egrets at Burton Mere Wetlands;

CB

Heswall and Thurstaston are certainly good for Whimbrel, although numbers fluctuate a lot. The 80+ were seen off Thurstaston on a neap high tide. With tide heights now increasing rapidly over the next week or so your best bet is either to go to Heswall (Banks Road car park) and walk towards Thurstaston at least two hours before high tide, i.e. as the tide comes in so the birds are flying towards you. Or try Thurstaston shore at low tide - the causeway going out from Dee Sailing Club is a good spot.

Thanks for that, will hopefully pop over this weekend!

Aug 1st – Quail at Burton Mere Wetlands; Garganey, Avocet and Ruddy Shelduck at Frodsham;

Aug 2nd – Quail at Burton Mere Wetlands; Hobby and 350 Swifts at Burton; Marsh Harrier and 3 Arctic Skuas at Red Rocks; Curlew Sandpiper, 2 Mediterranean Gulls, Arctic Skua and 70+ Little Terns at Hoylake; 7 Whimbrel at Heswall; 4 Arctic Terns reported at Budworth Mere;

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back