• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (2 Viewers)

Today - Golden Oriole reported at Rode Heath; Lesser Scaup and Red-necked Grebe at Frodsham; 35 Gannets at Hoylake; Greenshank and 320 Black-tailed Godwits at Burton Mere Wetlands;

CB

Hello all

How are the Avocets at BMW showing these days? They were something of a hit with my two boys on Springwatch and I thought it'd be nice to show them some for real. Trouble is at aged nearly 5 & 7 they still struggle making stuff out through scopes, so range is important (they have a pair of 8X20 bins that they manage quite well with). Any recent info would be great.

Cheers

James

Hello all

How are the Avocets at BMW showing these days? They were something of a hit with my two boys on Springwatch and I thought it'd be nice to show them some for real. Trouble is at aged nearly 5 & 7 they still struggle making stuff out through scopes, so range is important (they have a pair of 8X20 bins that they manage quite well with). Any recent info would be great.

Cheers

James

Hi: Was there last Thursday 12 June - only saw 2 Avocets in middle scrape from Reception building ........... Little Owl showing though ............ :t:

The Avocets should still be around BMW as they had young when I last visited. The other option is Frodsham, by the Weaver Bend, but thats a bit of a walk to get to.

CB

Visited Burton Mere Wetlands yesterday nice to see a few familiar faces, couple of highlights for me inc:
3 spotted redshank
1 greenshank
several avocets
little ringed plover
blue morph snow goose
little gull came into roost at about 5pm
black-tailed skimmer
also a report of a cuckoo (not seen by me)

The Blue Morph Snowgoose Was at Connahs Quay nature reserve, with Canada geese, on Sunday. I was able to film it, while it was on the island, located on the Ash pool. Interestingly it is NOT ringed.

June 16th - Lesser Scaup and Red-necked Grebe at Frodsham; Lesser Scaup at Sandbach Flashes (different to the Frodsham bird); 37 Gannets, Little Tern and 45 Common Terns at Leasowe;

June 15th – Red-crested Pochard at Chelford; 2 Green Sandpipers at Sandbach Flashes;

CB

Today - Lesser Scaup and Avocet at Frodsham; 3 Spotted Redshanks, Greenshank, esc Snow Goose and Little Gull at Burton Mere Wetlands; Up to 5 Hobbies at Risley Moss;

CB

Yesterday - Quail at Burton Point; Red-necked Grebe and Green Sandpiper at Frodsham; 3 Spotted Redshanks and Greenshank at Burton Mere Wetlands; Crossbill at Meols;

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back