• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chesnut-throated Huet-huet : Thermas de Chillan or Altoas de Lircay (1 Viewer)

Hello,

Between 1 - 21/03/2012 I will in Chile.
I'm looking for info on where to see the Chestnut-throated Huet-huet. I'v read that both place can be good but what's your feeling?

We will have around 1,5 days there so we have to make a choice :-(

Where is our best chance?

Thanks for your help

Raphaël
Belgium

Hi Raphael

I was in Chile last March and visited Altos de Lircay. The trail just beyond the park HQ ("Alwemendro") held at least four Chucao Tapaculos..this is said to be a good trail for the huet -huets. However we saw at least two Chestnut Throated Huet Huets at the campsite further up the track..scratching around in between the camping lots. Also 3 Magellanic Woodpeckers a Chilean Hawk and two Striped Woodpeckers. There were over 200 Chilean Pigeons along the access road!

My wife and I were at Altos de Lircay early November. Although the ranger said the trail past the campsite was best, and another birder located several pairs with young fairly near the campground area, the only one we saw was much lower, maybe a couple hundred meters past the gate. The access road is fenced here, but there was one small section that was unfenced and we went through here and had an excellent sighting. Birds were calling here and were not calling in the campground area. BTW we were not able to drive up to the campground and had to walk up the 2 or 3 K. Maybe this is because it was a weekend.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back