• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Chickadees at your Humming bird feeders. (1 Viewer)

William A

New user
Chickadees at my Humming bird feeders.

Hi all, long time reader, first time poster.

I've got 3 feeders here I keep out year round and for quite some time now the Chickadees have feeding/drinking from them.
Pretty often, almost as much as the Hummers do themselves.

Here's a short vid I did yesterday...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dwz5gmSc3A

I'm not complaining mind you, as I could easily put a stop to it by installing my bee guards.

Just thought it was a weird bird behavior and wanted to share.
Anybody else have other birds helping themselves to the sweet juice ?

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
Heck, i've got Chickadees, Titmouse and Downy Woodpeckers availing themselves to the hummer feeders.

etudiant

Supporter
If Downy Woodpeckers have learned to enjoy the libation you offer, I'd expect Sapsuckers and Orioles to get the message as well.
Please keep us posted, ideally with pictures.

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
If Downy Woodpeckers have learned to enjoy the libation you offer, I'd expect Sapsuckers and Orioles to get the message as well.
Or are their bills too thick to get into the holes? Downy has a much smaller bill than those, so can get it into feeder holes more easily.

Lisa W

Staff member
Supporter
I’ve had orioles and Gila woodpeckers on mine. And in the fall the bats love to feed on the feeder at night.

fugl

Yep - but they're evolved for pulling out insect grubs, not sugary water. Tho' have to admit, I don't know if sapsuckers have any adaptations in that direction.

They most certainly do in the form of brushy tongue-tips designed for the absorption of xylem (late winter, spring) and phloem (isummer, early fall). I don’t imagine they’d have much trouble with hummingbird feeders though whether they’d bother is another matter: compared to tree sap, sugar water would be very thin gruel indeed..

Users who are viewing this thread