• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chiffchaff ssp., Devon this month (1 Viewer)

LowellMills

Is this your Sanderling?
A Chiff pictured in this blog post (http://www.devonbirds.org/news/bird_news/devon_bird_sightings?blogEntry=13447) is being touted by people other than the observer as a possible Siberian (requesting more shots). Looking at shots of other sibes on google image, in the hand comparisons, I'm sceptical. However I am 99% sure I saw this exact individual Chiff at the same spot a couple weeks back and so am keen to hear if folks on here agree it looks the part for Sibe - I went along to the hide at the time to ask if anyone was keen to help ID a suspiciously brown Chiff (since I only had bins) and no one was the slightest bit interested (funny given the immensely expensive lenses they all had with them ;) ).

Last edited:
I'd not want to read too much into plumage tones from a single picture but nice strong super, especially behind the eye and 'overriding' the eye ring as the dominant facial feature merits a second look. The obvious question is - did it call?

Not when I saw it. Thanks for pointers so far though. Will check out call but reassuringly every Chiff I've found that called this winter sounded the same as P. c. collybita.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back