• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chiffchaffs with strangly coloured feathers (1 Viewer)

CARERY

In April 2015 on the German island Heligoland I was trying (not very successfully) to snap pictures of Chiffchaffs catching low flying insects over a pond. Reviewing the photos I recognized that many of them (at least 5 of the ca. 30 Ind.) had strangely light-coloured feather-parts. Does anyone have an idea where this comes from?

Attachments

• 20150417_PHYCOL_b.jpg
    20150417_PHYCOL_b.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 20150417_PHYCOL_c.jpg
    20150417_PHYCOL_c.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 20150417_PHYCOL_d.jpg
    20150417_PHYCOL_d.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 20150417_PHYCOL_e.jpg
    20150417_PHYCOL_e.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 56
  • 20150417_PHYCOL_a.jpg
    20150417_PHYCOL_a.jpg
    782.3 KB · Views: 65
Reflection of light... interesting possibilty which I haven't had considered yet. Does anyone know pictures somewhere in the web that show similar?

I don't think it can be, if, as you say, only 5 of the 30 showed it. (ie the other 25 didn't). Also it appears on different angles of the birds, which it shouldn't if it's merely a light effect.

Partial leucism? Much as some corvids show partially white wing feathers? (There's a few thread on here of them).

Finally got some time to review my photos... Attached is a collage of four pictures of one individual within two seconds. In my opinion this shows that the pale-feather-effect seems indeed to be a reflection of sunlight depending on the angle the wing is hold. I could not imagine this could be it. Thank you Captain for the idea!

Attachments

• 20150417_PHYCOL_0-collage.jpg
    20150417_PHYCOL_0-collage.jpg
    503.5 KB · Views: 49
Looks like lighting angle to me. Bird feathers are quite intricate and light can have unusual effects.

Note that the "light feathers" in that bottom image are not symmetrical, i.e. there are 6-7 visible lighter secondaries on the right wing, but only 4-5 on the left.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back