• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Children's binoculars (1 Viewer)

pseaman

I'm sure this has been asked before but has anyone got any suggestions for binoculars suitable for youngsters? Our 2 eldest grandsons aged 7 and almost 11 would like to have some bins of their own and Christmas is close so any advice appreciated. Just as an aside any suggestions for compact bins for an 80 yr old gent with weak and shakey hands. Thanks in advance

Following advice on here I have bought our grandchildren (aged 7 & 10) a pair each of Pentax Papillo II 6x21s.

HTH

Chris

The Pentax Papilio 6,5x21 are truly incredible, because to the usual idea of "making closer what is far way" they add a stunning macro ability for plants, insects and everything in between.
Another great contender could be the Kowa YF 6x30 (for both kids and elderly people). They are really comfy to hold and the image quality is awesome for the price, I think the Kowa can be found for a little less than the Papilio (don't forget that the Kowa has several siblings: if you live in the US, the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 is one of them, or else the Vixen Atrex 6x30). Amazing image quality for the price, small inter pupillary distance and very light weight.
I have both the Papilio and the Kowa and I can recommend both with confidence. I'd say the advantage of the Papilio is its unmatched close focus (0,5 m), while the view is very nice and sharp. The Kowa on the other hand offer a device more focused on far objetcs (birds, stars, nature) and I think they do so in a more comfortable way. I would not chose the Papilio as my main birding bin, but I would be happy with the Kowa for that. However, maybe a small kid is not going to spend long hours birdwatching, so the watching comfort of the Kowa doesn't play such an important role.

I'm sure this has been asked before but has anyone got any suggestions for binoculars suitable for youngsters? Our 2 eldest grandsons aged 7 and almost 11 would like to have some bins of their own and Christmas is close so any advice appreciated. Just as an aside any suggestions for compact bins for an 80 yr old gent with weak and shakey hands. Thanks in advance

As suggested by Chris and yarrelli here, I would also recommend the 6.5x21 Pentax Papilio, for a number of reasons.
The Kowa YF appears also to be a good choice (I don‘t know it personally).
But: whatever you choose, before you buy, check that the children‘s interpupillary distance (IPD) is compatible with the bino in question.
The Papilio can be adjusted to a minimum of 56mm, which may be too much for kids with narrow IPD. Other binos can be adjusted down to 50mm, e.g. the Vixen Atrek Light 6x30 which I could also recommend.

Canip

I have found the Papillo a bit fragile. One of the eyecups has gone loose and the focus knob has sheared off. They might be less than kid proof, burning suppose that depends on the kids!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back