• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

China observations (1 Viewer)

Hi Mike
We didnt take a photo of the bird this year.But my friend has a photo taken two or three years ago at similar time of year.
I guess u need it for Prof. Zhang's new China book?

Much less ambitious than that - I had what I believe to be a Gray's Warbler in Hong Kong earlier this month and I am keen to establish dates of passage and I would like to see what birds in autumn look like - especially adults as there are not many photos. Any help would be much appreciated.

I'd also be very interested in any records of Wood Warbler - as I also had one of these a week ago!

Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike
We didnt take a photo of the bird this year.But my friend has a photo taken two or three years ago at similar time of year.
I guess u need it for Prof. Zhang's new China book?

Last edited:
http://old.wwfchina.org/birdgallery/birdpic.shtm?booknum=950
Hi Mike
Pls check the link and the second is the one I mentioned.Date 2 Sep,2011
Any opinion on it?
In autumn many grasshopper warblers pass Rudong quite early(early~mid-Sep) while in spring they pass Rudong quite late(mid- ~late May).

Yesterday in Dongtai 78 DPelicans while only one in Lianyungang.A lot of constructions in Lianyungang so it may not be good for Pelicans recently.Dongtai has just been reclaimed so right now there's no construction.
Besides Pelicans,also 7 Swan Geese,and still too many NGreenshank to count.

Then in Rudong a Common Redpoll

Many thanks for this link mcaribou.

I agree with Jonathan that the second picture is a juvenile Gray's.It's very useful to see this and to note the date.

The first shot is also interesting - it looks rather short-tailed and appears to show a contrastingly dark cap and a tail tail contrasting with a more rufous rump. I wonder if it might be Middendorff's.

Your other news is also wonderful - 78 Dalmatian Pelicans! That must be the highest number for many years in China. Redpoll is another very interesting record!

Cheers
Mike

Many thanks for this link mcaribou.

I agree with Jonathan that the second picture is a juvenile Gray's.It's very useful to see this and to note the date.

I agree

The first shot is also interesting - it looks rather short-tailed and appears to show a contrastingly dark cap and a tail tail contrasting with a more rufous rump. I wonder if it might be Middendorff's.

Also agree

any idea of what is the fourth picture (the one on the left in the middle line), very likely a chat, with such pattern on the coverts and tertial?
I guess the location should help.

BFSpoonbill E50 which carries a satellite transmitter left Dongtai/Rudong on 29 Oct and reached Hengsha Island in Shanghai at 13:01.

Then I saw it near sunset and it flew southward.It kept on flying overnight till the wintering ground in Putian,Fujian.

Attachments

• E50(131026-1030)move.jpg
    E50(131026-1030)move.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 46
Yes,Terry,really cool!
Last winter the Koreans went to Putian but didnt see it.
This time in the morning I didnt see BFS in Chongming Island so I went to Hengsha Island to look for them in the afternoon.It stayed just for 4~5 hours there and I saw it.The light was bad that I cant read any of its color rings.I could only see the wire of the transmitter.
When I saw it flying southward,I didnt expect it to fly far.So the next day I went there to try if I could read the color rings but it was not there anymore according to the tracking result.I saw E81 but E81 doesnt have the transmitter.E81 was seen for several times at exact the same location this spring.

Hello from Nanchang

Dear fellow birders in the PRC..

I am living in Nanchang, Jiangxi since August. I have just posted my three month city list under vacation trip stuff but I think this may be a more appropriate thread.

Getting a trickle of migrants, about 2 weeks later than stuff I saw at Rudong coast first week of October.

Last w/e of Oct had my first chinese penduline tit flocks and two oriental reed warblers. Plus Pallas's warbler, RF Bluetail, grey-backed thrush, ob pipit and my last mugimaki of the year, plus sordida black-faced bunting.

weekend just gone I had the impression autumn passage just about finished, no warblers except YB, plenty of daurian redstart but no bluetails. My first Brambling in China.

Hope to do my first trip to Poyang Hu either this w/e or next.

Plan to do a major Sichuan trip next June/July and looking for ideas.
Will probably do Wuyuan for scaly-sided merg in the Christmas hols and hopefully get silver, koklass and elliots pheasant then. Plan to get Cabots next March or April and Blue Crowned LT next May.

If anyone wants to fly to Nanchang to do Poyang Hu please get in touch.

Thanks
Michael Grunwell

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back