• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

China unknowns (1 Viewer)

tony.saw

Hi
2 unknowns from China (although |I feel I should know the second one!)
1 & 2 taken at Nanling, Guangdong Province. Taken 21/04/2015
3 & 4 taken at Nonggang NNR, Guangxi Taken 24/04/2015
Thanks
Tony

Attachments

• 6450.jpg
    6450.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 6457.jpg
    6457.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 6708.jpg
    6708.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 6790.jpg
    6790.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 99

MacNara

Japan
I'm sorry I can't help myself, but the photos should be identifiable by someone, so I'll bump this post. It may be that the Asian bird experts are 'on the road' at the moment, which is why no-one is answering.

Gretchen

I'm no expert, and especially don't know much about southern birds. It sort of seems that the second is a female sunbird. With a very quick look around, I wonder about possible Fork-tailed Sunbird (like here.

Sorry, not even a guess on the first one.

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
Struggling to see Olive-backed Sunbird, with that unyellow belly and those greyish back tones. Don't know enough about Fork-tailed to comment on Gretchen's suggestion. Phyl does look like a Pallas's look-alike from these shots I guess.

johnallcock

I don't think this is Fork-tailed, which would normally be more uniform yellow-green above and below, whereas this bird looks quite contrasting and too grey to my eyes. Also it seems a bit too plump, short-tailed and deep-billed for Fork-tailed.

Having said that, I'm afraid I have no other suggestions for what it might be!

Grahame Walbridge

Struggling to see Olive-backed Sunbird, with that unyellow belly and those greyish back tones. Don't know enough about Fork-tailed to comment on Gretchen's suggestion. Phyl does look like a Pallas's look-alike from these shots I guess.

There are more than twenty recognised races of OBS, the race resident in Giangxi (SW,S China & N.Vietnam) is rhizophorae for which the female is described as having 'a more whitish belly and duller underparts'.

Gretchen

There are more than twenty recognised races of OBS, the race resident in Giangxi (SW,S China & N.Vietnam) is rhizophorae for which the female is described as having 'a more whitish belly and duller underparts'.

Quite interesting. I know female sunbirds are tricky. (BTW, I'm curious about what source you're citing - sounds helpful.)

I've looked around for pictures, but failed using your clues to find anything which really looks like this bird. I thought from the start it was kind of funny looking.

Grahame Walbridge

Quite interesting. I know female sunbirds are tricky. (BTW, I'm curious about what source you're citing - sounds helpful.)

I've looked around for pictures, but failed using your clues to find anything which really looks like this bird. I thought from the start it was kind of funny looking.

My references are IOC Master List 5.2 re range/races and 'A Field Guide to the Birds of South-east Asia' (Robson.C) regarding description of rhizophorae. I could only find a single image of rhizophorae on the OBI Database, a male from Viet Nam. I have no personal experience of this race of OBS.

I also found this reference to the Birds of Guangxi Province.

http://orientalbirdclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Shing-China.pdf

tony.saw

The ibc picture appears to have been taken from the same reserve as the female.
Tony

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread