• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chittagong - Bangladesh - October 2022 (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear Members and Bird watchers!

I was birding in Bangladesh for a few days. I spotted (attached picture 1 +2) and I ID this bird as a Black Kite. Very poor picture as I only had my pocket camera available.

We had heavy rain and I found a dead bird. Most likely dead in the rain. I have failed to ID this bird, but it looks to be some kind of a warbler. See attached picture # 3+4+5

Kind Regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• falcon (1).jpg
    falcon (1).jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 50
  • falcon (2).jpg
    falcon (2).jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Dead Bird (1).jpg
    Dead Bird (1).jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Dead Bird (2).jpg
    Dead Bird (2).jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Dead Bird (3).jpg
    Dead Bird (3).jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 48
I agree with James that the raptor looks like a Crested Goshawk. If you download the image, then lighten and deshadow it, then zoom in, you can see a grey hood extending down to the cheek, a warm brown tone on the side of the neck, thick vertical streaks on the upper breast and distinct horizontal bars on the flanks. These features narrow it down to Besra or Crested Goshawk (Shikra being further ruled out by the apparent yellow eye-ring), but the pattern on the underside of the rather long tail seems to rule out Besra, which has thicker dark tail-bars (almost as thick as the spaces between). I don't think it's possible from these images to count the number of fingers (CG shows 6 vs Berra's 5).

I would say the Accipiter looks better for Besra. It doesn't seem bulky and deep-chested enough for Crested Goshawk. But it's a difficult angle to ID, and probably best treated as either/or.

I would say the Accipiter looks better for Besra. It doesn't seem bulky and deep-chested enough for Crested Goshawk. But it's a difficult angle to ID, and probably best treated as either/or.
I'm now living and working in China and have been reacquainting myself with some Asian species after three years away from the region. Last weekend I saw several Crested Goshawks and I must admit their bulk is apparent in side profile. The tail tends to look shorter than on this bird. Another feature I observed is that the white rump of the bird tends to be fluffed out in flight, making it look like it half wraps around the body. So I'm going to change my position and say the OP bird is more likely to be Besra, despite the apparently narrow tail bands.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back