• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chlidonias Goes To Asia, part three: 2013 (1 Viewer)

The Botanical Gardens in Kolkata were on the bird-watching cards this morning. First I had to get a taxi. The first driver wanted 500 rupees to take me there (twice what the taxi fare from the airport was!) and when I said to use the meter he refused. So I tried a different taxi who also refused to turn on the meter and said it would be 250 rupees. You know that if you're being quoted a price and the request to use the meter is refused then you are being ripped off, so being the contrary person that I am, I didn't take any taxi from there at all. Instead I put off the Gardens for the moment and walked to Sudder Street which took about an hour. I quite like the Travel Inn where I have been staying the last two days – the room is clean and the staff are friendly and helpful – but it is situated in an extremely inconvenient location with no public transport anywhere nearby and no food outlets. Sudder Street is just near the subways and has loads of little restaurants so when I return to Kolkata I am going to stay there. I got some breakfast, then found a guesthouse which didn't have as nice a room as the Travel Inn but it was less than half the price, so that's where I will stay later. From Sudder Street I then got a taxi to the Botanical Gardens which cost 140 rupees.

The Gardens have a 100 rupee entry fee plus 20 rupees for cameras. They are very nice gardens, but they would have been even nicer if it hadn't been raining solidly all morning (so no photos were taken apart for some quick shots of the giant banyan tree). Also there is a lot of work going on in the grounds with diggers and almost every road was just a thick wadge of mud, the kind of mud which sticks to your shoes and then more mud sticks to that mud, and then more mud sticks to that mud, and you end up with shoes weighing three times what you started out in. Despite the rain I had fun with the birds and saw 33 species in total. I was also looking out for squirrels (both five-striped and three-striped palm squirrels are found in the Gardens) but I saw zero squirrels. Instead I saw a small Asian mongoose (that's a Small Asian Mongoose to avoid name-confusion!) which, like the five-striped palm squirrel yesterday, I have seen previously in an introduced location (Fiji) but this was the first time in its native range.

The Gardens are full of birds. I'd like to get back there when it isn't raining because I reckon I would see a lot more than I did. Many are ones you can see everywhere (common mynahs, jungle mynahs, red-vented bulbuls, that sort of thing) but I was surprised to find lots of bronze-winged jacanas on just about every bit of water here, along with the expected white-breasted waterhens, common moorhens, cattle egrets, pond herons, and common and white-throated kngfishers. There was even a common sandpiper by one ditch. Up in the trees were green bee-eaters, black-hooded orioles, verditer flycatchers and lesser goldenback woodpeckers. On the way to the giant banyan tree I saw some Indian ringneck parakeets. These have been introduced to several parts of the world (including the UK) but I haven't seen any of those ones so the first ones I got to see in the wild were right here in India. Later I saw some moustached parakeets which are related but much more colourful. The giant banyan tree was amazing! It is in the Guiness Book of Records it is so big (it covers an area of 3.9 acres and has a circumferance of over 450 metres). Banyans are a type of fig which send roots down from their branches to the ground, where they take hold and grow into new trunks and gradually spread outwards. The one here looks like a forest of trees because you are literally surrounded by trunks (it has 3618 prop-roots!), but they are all one tree. The original centre trunk no longer exists though, having been removed in 1925 after it was infected with fungus following some storm damage. I could hear koels up in the canopy of the giant banyan. I thought I saw one but when I got the binoculars on it, it turned out to be a rufous treepie (which is actually better than a koel). Then I saw some more birds in another part of the tree, and a couple of these were koels. The others were yellow-footed green pigeons. These are real bullies! There were quite a lot of coppersmith barbets up there too and whenever one landed a pigeon would come crashing towards it to scare it off, and then sit there looking very pleased with itself; then another coppersmith would land nearby and the pigeon would go after that one too. Coppersmiths are just wee birds too. It's like a sheep chasing off rabbits for no reason. As an aside, the reason coppersmiths are so called is because their call is this really monotonous “poop poop poop” which goes on all day long and sounds exactly like someone beating a little hammer on a copper pot.

First thing tomorrow morning I fly up to Guwahati in Assam, and go straight to Kaziranga National Park.

BIRDS:
467) Black-hooded oriole Oriolus xanthornus
468) Indian ringneck Psittacula krameri
469) Yellow-footed green pigeon Treron phoenicoptera

470) Lesser coucal Centropus bengalensis
471) Moustached parakeet Psittacula alexandri
472) Lesser goldenback woodpecker Dinopium benghalense

MAMMALS:
69) Small Asian mongoose Herpestes javanicus

OK I'm back in business now! Totally unexpectedly, there was no WIFI available anywhere along my route so there has been a slight pause in postings. There was WIFI occasionally present in the areas, just not where-ever I was specifically staying. Most of the time my network connection signal remained blank. Perhaps this shouldn't have been a surprise – I flew into Guwahati and went straight to Kaziranga National Park, then to Nameri National Park and then Manas National Park. The only city I actually stayed at along the route was Guwahati for a few days at the very end (and there were a few WIFI signals there but my laptop wouldn't connect with any of them). Now I am back in Kolkata (and tomorrow back to Bangkok) so the story will continue.

First a little correction:
69) Small Asian mongoose Herpestes javanicus
should read Small Indian mongoose Herpestes auropunctatus because I forgot they'd been split. It doesn't affect the list here or my life list because I've seen auropunctatus in Fiji and javanicus in Indonesia.

Kaziranga National Park -- getting there.

After two days in Kolkata I set off for the real part of the Indian trip, Assam. First stop was Kaziranga National Park. At the Travel Inn where I had been staying in Kolkata I had asked the night before my flight if I needed to book a taxi for the next morning at 6am or if it would be easy to get one at the time. “In the morning, no problem,” they told me. The next morning however it changed to “no taxis in the morning, it is too early, you will need to pay 500 rupees.” It had only cost me half that to get here from the airport – at the same time in the morning no less – which really ticked me off, but I had to pay it because I had to go catch my flight.

On the way to the airport I realised what it was about Indian cities (or at least this Indian city) which made them that bit different to other Asian cities. Ironically I had missed what it was because it was so in my face and obvious. In southeast Asia and China the towns and cities may be dirty with streets made of sand and with household rubbish just dumped alongside, but they are still towns and cities which look like habitable places where people are living their lives. Kolkata in contrast looks like one massive continuous slum in which people are just barely surviving. I could quite happily live in most of southeast Asia, but there's no way in hell I would ever live in Kolkata. I'd rather watch the movie Daredevil than live in Kolkata! Whichever part of the city I travelled through it was just endless filth, with people scavenging through piles of refuse alongside the crows and starving dogs, men squatting in the gutters washing themselves next to people using those same gutters as urinals, and strings of corrugated iron shacks along even the main roads. It's like there was once this great and wonderful city and then something cataclysmic happened and all the residents were suddenly reduced to living like rats in the street amongst the mouldy decaying buildings of the past. Everywhere that is except the airport, where the terminal is like a huge gleaming glass spaceship, as if you've been suddenly transported to Singapore.

The airline regulations are really strict in India. At the airport you need to show a printed-out ticket and your passport to even enter the building (I also found this to be the case in some other places like China). Oddly, when checking in you also need to show them your credit card if you booked the ticket online – if you can't show them the same credit card the ticket was booked with then you can't get on the plane! Check-in bags are x-rayed and stickered before you can go to the check-in counter. When they x-rayed my bag they asked if I had anything made of stone inside. “No...” I said, a little confused, “stone as in rock?” They showed me the x-ray image where the field guide to the birds of India showed up as a thick dark slab. I had to take it out of the bag to show them, and then they x-rayed the book! I've never had that happen before. After I had checked in I went through the next security check-point where the hand luggage is x-rayed and everybody is swept with metal detectors. Again there was a problem with my bag, because I had all my torch batteries in there. The reason they were in there instead of my check-in bag was because when I flew with Air Asia they said I wasn't allowed batteries in my check-in, I had to carry them in my hand-luggage. With Spicejet I'm not allowed them in my hand-luggage, they have to be in my check-in! These are just regular rechargeable D batteries, nothing explosive or anything. It makes a bit of a mockery of certain “security risks” if different airlines have exactly opposite policies! Anyway I had to take the batteries back to the first check-point and get them parceled up and stickered, and then re-check myself in and put the little box of batteries through as check-in luggage. (I didn't even need them in the end because, as I found out, none of the parks allow entry at night so I couldn't do any spotlighting anyway).

Spicejet seats are the smallest I have ever seen on a plane, which is weird because generally speaking Indians aren't little people like in Thailand or Indonesia. And there were mosquitoes on the plane! It was a bit scary taking off in an Indian plane. I don't really like to fly, it is just something I have to do, and despite the advertising billboards I had seen for a plywood company which said “India Loves Quality”, India certainly does not love quality. I half expected the wings to fall off or something. However the plane arrived safely in Assam, in the city of Guwahati, where it was still raining! Fortunately by the time I arrived at Kaziranga National Park the rain had disappeared and stayed away for my whole stay there.

At Kaziranga I would be staying at a place called Wild Grass Lodge. This is the same place that Jon Hall from Mammalwatching stayed at when he went there. I don't normally stay where he stays because he spends far too much money, but I had emailed Wild Grass and they had a cottage for 650 rupees per night (about NZ$12.50) which was alright by me. It was a good choice because the owner Manju was incredibly helpful and sent me all sorts of information about the other places I would be going in Assam, and also booked me into the forestry department accommodation at the Hollongapar Gibbon Wildlife Sanctuary. To avoid tourists getting lost between Guwahati and Kaziranga, Wild Grass also offer a meet-at-the-airport which I took them up on because I figured it would cost about the same as trying to organise a taxi to the bus station and save on being scammed by the taxi drivers. So I was met at the airport by a little wee guy who only came up to my chest, and he put me into a taxi and told them where to take me. The plane had arrived at 9.20am, and I sat in the taxi until 10am while the driver disappeared to round up more passengers. I got to the bus station at 11am where I was met by another very helpful chap called Deepak (everyone in India is very helpful it seems!) who got me onto the right bus, which left at noon. This bus went to the main bus station an hour away where I changed to another bus (and yes, both buses had mosquitoes in them), and then finally I was properly on my way to Kaziranga.

I don't know how big the city of Guwahati is but it must be pretty substantial given that it took an hour from the airport to the first bus station and then another hour to the next bus station. As a city it is still Indian in appearance but without the air of decrepitude that Kolkata has. Once outside the city the country was all open and brown with scattered huts and rambling villages. It reminded me very much of Indonesia, especially West Timor, and I felt right at home again. I had heard a lot about the terrifying traffic of India but from what I've seen it is no scarier than anywhere else in Asia. For myself, having travelled quite a bit in southeast and eastern Asia, I would describe it as “normal” rather than “scary”. In fact I'd say the driving in Indonesia is far worse. Interesting signage along the roads included “Do Not Drink Wine While Driving” which was obviously aimed at the more sophisticated of drivers. There was also a billboard advertising some local brand of beer where the slogan was “same taste, more dum”.

It's about five and a half hours from Guwahati to the village of Kohora where the main entrance to Kaziranga is. Kohora seems to be composed almost entirely of guesthouses and restaurants; the numbers of them is just staggering. It was already dark when I arrived (it gets dark at around 5.30pm here), but I was met by someone from Wild Grass who drove me the remaining 5km.

The next post will be about the national park.....

Kaziranga National Park: 18-21 February

Kaziranga National Park is fantastic! I just thought I'd get that out of the way first. I saw ninety species of birds just on my first day there. At one point I was standing in a watch-tower and there were thirty-five Indian rhinos in one view; I had been hoping I would see a rhino while at the park, and I ended up seeing between 60 and 70 on the first day alone.

I'll talk about costs first, for those people intending on going to India. Kaziranga isn't a cheap place to visit but I understand it is a lot cheaper than many other parks in the country like Corbett or Ranthambore. The accommodation itself isn't expensive – I got a cottage at the Wild Grass Lodge for 650 rupees (about NZ$12.50) which included breakfast, and the other meals are between 100 and 250 rupees each (about NZ$2 to $5) – but as soon as you start going into the park the costs begin mounting up. The daily park entry fee is 500 rupees (NZ$10), camera fee another 500 rupees, and then there's a road tax of 400 rupees, so you're out 1400 rupees before you've even got inside (those are foreigner prices – Indian prices are ten times cheaper). You are only allowed into the park in a jeep, and the cost per jeep depends on which part of the park you visit. The park is divided into various sections: central is 1500 rupees per jeep (NZ$29), western 1600 rupees, eastern 2000 rupees and Ghorkati 3000 rupees. Those are the prices for one jeep ride, either morning or afternoon (the park is closed in the middle of the day), and it is divided between however many people are in the jeep. If you're travelling solo you ideally need to try and team up with others to keep the amount of money you're spending to an acceptable level. The main problem with that is that there aren't a lot of other solo travellers around (but there are lots of tour groups), and a lot of the space inside the jeep is taken up with the driver, the armed guard and the guide, so there's only room for an extra person if the original group is at most three people. Obviously you also just have to take what you can get because you are joining on someone else's ride and thus you don't get to choose which part of the park to visit. I got lucky on my first day, teaming up with an Indian family (in the morning just the father and in the afternoon the others as well) who were really interested in all sorts of animals, not just elephants and rhinos, so we saw a lot; but on the second day I got stuck with a photographer who was only wanting to find spots to take photos of scenery and so I didn't see much at all. I was at the park for four full days though, so everything worked out all right overall.

The whole park is sort of a wooded-grassland which is largely flooded for part of the year. Some parts are more grass, some more forest, but it is really a bit of a patchwork. I visited west, central and east at least twice each, and tended to find the west was best for rhinos and the east for elephants, but really everything is everywhere. Apparently central is best for tigers. Everyone seemed to be seeing tigers, but always in a part of the park in which I was not! If I was in central then someone would see two tigers in the east; if I was in the west then they would be seen in central; and so on. In the National Parks of central India the tigers are completely blasé about people and walk along the roads amongst the cars like lions in Africa, but in Assam they are much more shy so seeing one is just a matter of luck and if one is seen it is not for long. Birds were abundant everywhere but it is frustrating not being allowed out of the jeeps to just walk along the roads in the forest sections. There were loads of birds in the grounds of the Wild Grass Lodge too. Right by the restaurant and reception is a big red-flowered kapok (or silk-cotton) tree which was always full of chestnut-tailed starlings (called chestnut-bellied starlings by the guides here, which is a far better name!), pied starlings, Oriental white-eyes, golden-fronted leafbirds and blue-throated barbets. Just a few metres away is a big fruiting fig tree which was always full of yellow-footed green pigeons and bulbuls. Pied and great hornbills visit that tree as well, but never when I was there to see them. There are also hoary-bellied squirrels in the gardens which at first I thought were a new species for me, but it turned out that they are the same as the Irrawaddy squirrel in Burma (Callosciurus pygerythrus) although they look quite different, the Indian version being even more nondescript.

On my first morning I was supposed to be joining up with another single traveller for a jeep ride at 7am. At 7.45 I was still waiting, and eventually it turned out that the guy had just decided to stay in bed and not go. But there was another person looking for a jeep as well, so after he had his breakfast I finally got my first look at the park. We went into the central section for the morning which is mostly grassland with a few waterholes. Most of the big mammals turned out to be incredibly easy to see, although central doesn't appear to have as many rhinos or elephants as the other sections. Hog deer and barasingha (swamp deer) were everywhere in big herds. Sambar are either rare or just more retiring than their open-country cousins and I only saw a few. There are common muntjac here as well but I never saw any well enough to claim them. Wild water buffalo are really common – these are genuine wild buffalo, not feral domestic animals, and their horns are insanely huge! Wild pigs are pretty common, as are rhesus macaques. The macaques here are a weird orangey-golden sort of colour; several times I would spot them at a distance on the ground and think they were hog deer because of the colour of their fur. From a watch-tower overlooking a lake we spotted a pair of smooth-coated otters, very far away but still watchable through the binoculars. They started out spy-hopping (raising vertically out of the water to see further), then swam around for a bit with just the tops of their heads showing, and then came out on a small island and rolled around in the sand amongst the bar-headed geese. The birding was very good in between the mammaling too. The water bodies were full of waterfowl like hundreds of bar-headed geese and varying numbers of ruddy shelducks, mallards, spot-billed ducks, pintails, wigeon, gadwall, common teal and northern shovellers, as well as spot-billed pelicans, little and great cormorants, oriental darters, black-headed ibis, various herons and egrets, and storks (including openbill, black-necked and lesser adjutants). It's not the greatest trying to bird from a jeep because you miss lots of the little birds, but by the end of the morning I had seen about seventy species amongst which were red junglefowl and kalij pheasants. There are lots of birds of prey here also, including (the ones I saw) Pallas' fish-eagle, grey-headed fish-eagle, crested serpent-eagle, changeable hawk-eagle, Indian spotted eagle, pied harrier and osprey. In the afternoon we went to the western section of the park, and that's where I was on the watch-tower where I could see 35 rhinos at once (not to mention the ten or so along the track leading to the tower). With the rhinos were herds of barasingha, hog deer and buffalo. In the water in front of the tower huge clown knifefish kept splashing up to the surface (they are called chital here, like the axis deer, because of their spots). Around the tower area something had died and there were dozens of slender-billed and Himalayan griffon vultures collecting in the trees. Elsewhere a marshy area provided feeding for various waders such as little ringed plover, common greenshank, common redshank, green sandpiper, wood sandpiper and common snipe. By the end of the day I had seen exactly ninety species of birds (not including another dozen or so which the guide ID'd by call or by brief fly-bys, which wasn't good enough for me to count). Only thirteen of the ninety were lifers for me though: the birdlife in Assam is very “southeast Asian” so I was seeing a lot of birds that are common further east where I've done most of my travelling. However out of nine mammal species seen that day, five of them were lifers which is a much better percentage!

The next day was not so productive because there were no morning jeeps with which I could join up. I only ended up with 48 birds for the whole day. Some of those were obtained in the tea plantations just near the lodge. Tea plantations are a bit odd-looking. The tea leaves are the new shoots plucked from the tops of the bushes and the result of this constant pruning is whole fields of flat-topped bushes less than waist-high, like acres of finely-attended topiary. I have seen tea plantations before but the ones in Assam have something a little different in that they are grown in combination with pepper trees. I never knew pepper came from trees! I had never really thought about it at all, it is true, but if I had I would have assumed some sort of vine rather than trees. The pepper trees turn the tea plantations into very open woodland which is supposed to be good for birds not otherwise found inside the park, but it was too late in the morning before I got there and the birds had all gone for siesta. I tend to find that open-country and wetland birds don't seem to care about the time of day, but woodland and forest birds just disappear as soon as the sun starts heating up. The afternoon wasn't much better because the only jeep I could join with had a photographer who wasn't interested in stopping for birds. However I did see pied kingfisher and woolly-necked stork which were both lifers, as well as four species of Psittacula parakeets. I was surprised there were four species all living here together – Indian ringnecks, Alexandrines, moustached parakeets, and blossom-headed parakeets – but by the end of my stay I could even identify the four unseen, just by the different sounds of their screeches (which is quite something for me because I can't usually tell most bird calls apart).

I returned to the tea plantations at sun-rise the following morning, which is about 5.30am here. It's quite good having the plantation just up the road (literally less than ten minutes walk away) because you can get there and find some birds before breakfast and then go to the park in a jeep afterwards when they start running for the day. There actually weren't many birds around this morning, but a blue whistling thrush and grey-headed woodpecker were good, and even better were three different Asian barred owlets being very showy. My plan for the rest of the morning was in fact not for a jeep into the park but instead a boat to look for Gangetic dolphins in the Brahmaputra River. This is not a good time of year to look for dolphins because the river levels are too low, but it is obviously still something I wanted to have a go at. When I booked at the Wild Grass Lodge, the owner Manju was incredibly helpful, sending me all sorts of information in emails. However when I arrived at the lodge I regrettably found out that the general manager Dilip was as good as useless. I had asked him on my first night about the dolphins and he told me the cost of the boat (1900 rupees) and the cost of the return trip to where the boat left from (1200 rupees). I had also asked him to book me into the forestry department lodge at Manas National Park which he said he would do. At the end of the next day I checked with him about the Manas accommodation and he said “yes, I am doing that now, I will let you know” – it never got done. For the dolphins, I asked him the night before to arrange the boat and jeep (I was just going to pay for it all myself because there was no-one else to join in with me) and he told me to be at reception at 8am to meet the jeep and I would get to the boat at 9am. After I had been round the tea plantation and then had breakfast I went to reception at 8am. Nobody knew anything about the boat or the dolphins, because it had not been arranged at all. I never did get to go look for the dolphins while at Wild Grass. With that not happening I got a jeep for myself to the eastern section of the park. I had been to the central part once and the western part twice, and it had been looking like I wasn't ever going to get to the eastern part unless I went by myself, so I did. [I should make it clear that I fully recommend staying at Wild Grass Lodge – it's a great place, Manju is brilliant, most of the staff are good....it's just trying to get the general manager to actually do stuff which is aggravating]

The eastern part of Kaziranga has more wetlands than the other parts so it is better for birds. Generally the jeeps come equipped with a guide who points out the animals and identifies them, but on this trip I just had a driver so had to do all the work myself (which is how I prefer it really). Most of the 73 species I saw today were repeats of the other days of course, including two more barred owlets, but new ones were a distant greater adjutant (the only lifer of the morning) and the first brown fish-owl I've seen for years. The numbers of pelicans and other waterbirds were much higher than in the other sections as well. In the afternoon I managed to score a jeep with two Indian birders (casual birders, not hard-core birders) to the central section where I saw a couple more woolly-necked storks, two swamp francolins (the only lifer of the afternoon), and a Bengal monitor basking outside its burrow. The monitor was seen from one of the watch-towers and this was also where two tigers had been seen just that very morning while I was off in the eastern part. At the end of the afternoon we stopped by the tower just in case. The guide scanned the far side of the clearing and suddenly went “Tiger!” “Where, where?!” “On the corner,” he said, pointing across at the forest. Probably most people reading this have been out birding with someone who sees a bird and is telling you something like “it's just there, past that branch” and you cannot tell where they are seeing this bird which to them is so obvious. It is much worse when it is a tiger! Especially when the person says it is “on the corner”! The corner of what?!? I got onto it just in time as it walked across the edge of the forest – about a kilometre away for about five seconds, and then it went back inside the forest! It paused just inside and I could see it glowing orange in the sun, and then it was gone. It was not a great sighting – far from it – and if it had been a first sighting of something like a barasingha I wouldn't have counted it, but it's a tiger! I am counting it!!

Three days down, one to go. The final day at Kaziranga went very well. I had joined up with a Canadian lady and her Indian friend who were both proper animal-watchers like me. We went in the morning to the eastern end. We saw a spotted owlet and several Asian barred owlets, but unfortunately no brown fish-owl to make a three owl day. The greater adjutant I had seen the day before was still present but on the near side of the lake rather than the far side so I got to see him much better. A pair of hill mynahs was unexpected, and we found a tree full of spot-winged starlings which were great. In amongst the haul of regular mammals (rhinos, elephants, etc) was a Himalayan striped squirrel and a whole family of smooth-coated otters, including pups, which unlike the pair from my first day were actually close enough to get some photographs of (albeit needing cropping to be able to see them properly!). Even more unexpected for me than anything else, on the drive back to the lodge for lunch we found some capped langurs just sitting in a tree beside a field. I was hoping to see these later at Nameri National Park but was totally not expecting to see them here in the farmland. For the afternoon we went to the central area, looking for birds and hoping for tigers. Best birds were swamp francolins feeding out in the open, a flock of striated babblers, grey-capped pigmy woodpeckers, and a whole group of male kalij pheasants. The bird total for this final day was 78 species. There were also a couple more Bengal monitors and yet more otters! These otters were a pair and they looked very small to be smooth-coated, but the guide said that is the only species in the park (and even if small-clawed otters are found there they weren't close enough for me to have been sure either way). The last bit of excitement was that a tiger had been sighted by the same watch-tower as yesterday. By the time we got there, there was a whole cluster of jeeps sitting on the side of the road with everyone pointing binoculars off across the clearing. Apparently it had crossed the road and was somewhere in the elephant grass. I went up into the tower to see if I could see anything from the higher vantage point. I really wanted a good sighting of a tiger, but it was fairly obvious that with all the jeeps down there the tiger wasn't going anywhere. It was just going to lie low until everyone had gone before coming back out. Suddenly someone else in the tower cried out “I see it!” They directed the rest of us to where there was a tawny-coloured blob showing through the grass. “I don't think that's a tiger,” I said, trying to be tactful (for one thing tigers aren't tawny-coloured, and for another thing the object was a hog deer). “No, no that's the tiger – it's lying down, it must have been there the whole time. I can see its tail.” “Yes, I can see it moving.” “Oh wow, that's the tiger all right!” After everyone else had left the tower congratulating one another, one of the guides took a look and said simply “that's not a tiger, that's a hog deer”.

BIRDS:
I finally passed 500 birds for the trip list which has been ridiculously slow in coming! I blame the birdless mid-summer conditions of South Korea and Russia at the start. The stupid thing is my year list for 2014 is well over half of what the whole trip list is, and it's only March!

473) Fulvous-breasted woodpecker Dendrocopos macei
474) Chestnut-tailed starling Sturnus malabaricus
475) Kalij pheasant Lophura leucomelanos
476) Pallas' fish-eagle Haliaeetus leucoryphus

477) Oriental darter Anhinga melanogaster
478) Spot-billed pelican Pelecanus conspicillatus
479) Asiatic black-headed ibis Threskiornis melanocephalus

480) Citrine wagtail Motacilla citreola
481) Bar-headed goose Anser indicus
482) Black-necked stork Ephippiorhynchus asiaticus
483) Stork-billed kingfisher Pelargopsis capensis
484) Greater goldenback woodpecker Chrysocolaptes lucidus
485) Grey-headed fish-eagle Ichthyophaga ichthyaetus
486) Changeable hawk-eagle Spizaetus cirrhatus
487) Slender-billed vulture Gyps tenuirostris
488) Black bulbul Hypsipetes leucocephalus
489) Indian river tern Sterna aurantia
490) Indian spotted eagle Aquila hastata
491) Green sandpiper Tringa ochropus

492) Emerald (Green-winged) dove Chalcophaps indica
493) Streak-throated woodpecker Picus xanthopygaeus
494) Crimson sunbird Aethopyga siparaja
495) Blue-throated barbet Megalaima asiatica
496) Pied kingfisher Ceryle rudis
497) Alexandrine Psittacula eupatria
498) Woolly-necked stork Ciconia episcopis

499) Asian barred owlet Glaucidium cuculoides
500) Blue whistling thrush Myophonus caeruleus
501) Greater adjutant Leptoptilos dubius
502) Brown fish owl Ketupa zeylonensis
503) Swamp francolin Francolinus gularis
504) Spot-winged starling Saroglossa spiloptera

505) Paddyfield pipit Anthus rufulus
506) Striated babbler Turdoides earlei

MAMMALS:
69) Hog deer Axis porcinus
70) Indian rhinoceros Rhinoceros unicornis
71) Wild water buffalo Bubalus arnee
72) Barasingha Cervus duvaucelii
73) Tiger Panthera tigris
74) Capped langur Trachypithecus pileatus

Good to have you back!

Batteries can cause no end of problems when travelling by air. I have a 3kg spotlight battery which at the very least guarantees my hold luggage is searched. Several times I've been called back to security to explain what it is, and most recently in Morocco, I also had to demonstrate what my Sherman traps were to the same bemused police officer. Now that was an interesting conversation.

Good to have you back!

Batteries can cause no end of problems when travelling by air. I have a 3kg spotlight battery which at the very least guarantees my hold luggage is searched. Several times I've been called back to security to explain what it is, and most recently in Morocco, I also had to demonstrate what my Sherman traps were to the same bemused police officer. Now that was an interesting conversation.
coming back to Kolkata from Assam I even had to take the batteries out of my cameras for "security reasons!"

Also, thanks to everyone who is enjoying the travels! :t:

Hollongapar Gibbon Wildlife Sanctuary, 22-23 February

My next location after Kaziranga National Park was the Hollongapar Gibbon Wildlife Sanctuary which is a small patch of remnant forest east of Kaziranga. The name has various spellings. I had been using Hoollongopar but at the sanctuary they use Hollongapar so that's what I'll stick with from now on. The area has been protected since 1881, originally as the Hollongapar Reserved Forest, mainly so the British colonialists could hunt leopards and elephants there. In 1997 it was re-designated as a Wildlife Sanctuary. Nowadays the forest only covers an area of 21 square kilometres and is hemmed in by tea plantations and farmland so there are no longer any dispersal routes in or out for most of the species inside. There are seven species of primates in the reserve, the main one people want to see being the western hoolock gibbon. Few visitors stay in the forestry department accommodation there because it only takes about two and a half hours to drive from Kaziranga, but one of the seven primates is the slow loris which is nocturnal and I wanted to try and find one. However once again my attempts at loris searches were stymied, because it turned out that it is forbidden to enter the forest at night even if staying at the accommodation there (although they obviously used to allow this, because Mammalwatching guy Jon Hall was doing spotlighting there in 2008). Indian parks are extremely strict with rules and they are often pretty ridiculous. In Assam it gets light at 5.30am or so but most of the parks don't open until after 7am, they are closed in the middle of the day, and at the end of the day they close up the gates as early as 4.30 or 5pm. Few (none?) of the Assamese parks allow night visits any more. At most (all?) you need guides and/or armed guards whenever you enter, and some parks like Kaziranga don't allow entry on foot at all. At Hollongapar you are on foot but accompanied by armed guards and the length of the “tours” are only an hour or two. If I was to return to Assam I wouldn't bother staying at Hollongapar, I would just do what everyone else does and make it a morning trip from Kaziranga. The gibbons seem pretty easy to see on short visits – there was a huge noisy school-group there when I arrived and even they had seen gibbons.

To get from Kaziranga to Hollongapar I had been going to take a bus from Kohora to Jorhat, and then another bus to Mariani, and then a three-wheeler to the sanctuary, all of which would probably have taken most of the day, but as luck would have it there were some Wild Grass guests needing a pick-up at the Jorhat airport so I got a ride in the car all the way to the sanctuary and only had to pay 400 rupees (about NZ$8) in total, and so I arrived about 11am. The accommodation at the sanctuary is 600 rupees per night, and you have to take your own food but there is someone there to cook it for you (I just took noodles and fruit because I'm cheap like that). You've got the same daily entry and camera fees as at Kaziranga (500 rupees for each) but the guard fees are only 200 rupees so the actual time spent in the forest is cheap. Surprisingly there isn't a great deal of English spoken by anyone up that way; it's sort of the way an American might know enough words in Spanish to have very basic communication in Mexico but that's about all. None of the school-kids who were there when I arrived spoke any English beyond a halting “what is your name?”. I was the centre of attention for them and they all wanted my autograph and to get a photo with me. English is very widely spoken throughout India because the number of indigenous languages and dialects make communication otherwise impossible, but I guess Assam is just that little bit too far away from India proper.

I went out into the forest at about 1.30pm with two guards. There are elephants in the forest, and wild elephants can be dangerous of course, but the precautions taken in Indian parks are really over the top! In places with jeeps like Kaziranga they often don't even allow you to get off the jeep and stand next to it on a road in open grassland where you can see for a kilometre in every direction. At Hollongapar they barely let you walk more than ten metres ahead or behind in case an elephant springs suddenly out of its burrow and drags you down to your death. At one point on the second day, the guard in front of me turned round and asked “Are you afraid? You don't need to be, we are here.” I just said “no, I'm fine,” but what I was thinking was “what in anything I have done over the last two days has given the impression I was afraid?!” The reason I had been given for why they don't allow entry at night is because “the elephants are too dangerous” – but it is hardly going to be any more dangerous at night than in the day-time. Actually they even tried to tell me that sambar are really dangerous! Unfortunately even if a guard was happy to take you in at night everything is under the control of one person and the decision is his (and that decision is always “no”). The way I see it, if you go to wild places you take the risks associated with it. I just want to go into the forest when the sun comes up and wander round for as long as I want looking for animals. All the rules and regulations are just a pain for me.

The seven primate species at Hollongapar are the western hoolock gibbon (the only ape found in India), the capped langur, the slow loris, and four species of macaques (rhesus, northern pig-tailed, stump-tailed and Assamese). The sanctuary has the highest number of primate species of any protected area in India. I'm not really sure how four similar macaque species manage to co-exist in the same area, especially when the area isn't particularly large, but they obviously do. I had seen a group of female and young capped langurs at Kaziranga but otherwise the only species of those seven which I had seen anywhere before were the rhesus and pig-tailed macaques. The first of them which I got to see at Hollongapar were the stump-tailed macaques, a whole troop of them foraging about in the forest. At Hollongapar the guards take you along a fairly wide dirt road through the forest and when they hear or see something you head onto narrow trails to get closer. The stump-tails didn't seem too keen on us interrupting their feeding but after following them through the forest for a while they settled down and ignored us. They are weird-looking monkeys! The body is very robust, almost like a little bear, and the face is all rumpled up and bright scarlet like a very sunburnt old man. When you see photos of them, or see them in a zoo, they are the ugliest things imaginable, but seen in the wild in the forest they look completely right (much as I had found with the Yunnan snub-nosed monkeys in China – in photos and zoos they are just plain weird, but in the wild they are beautiful). Next up were the northern pig-tailed macaques, of which there were just a few feeding high up in the trees. I've seen quite a lot of pig-tailed macaques before, but the ones here look different somehow .... longer fur maybe? ….. I'm not quite sure what it is. The last primate for the afternoon I found for myself rather than the guards pointing it out, so I felt like I was pulling my weight. It was a male hoolock gibbon, all black with white eyebrows (females are brown with white eyebrows), and in a nearby tree was a bicoloured giant squirrel. The gibbons and the giant squirrels are both pretty difficult (often impossible) to photograph successfully because they are always up in the canopy and hence usually backlit against the sky.

There was a very odd situation that first afternoon where after we had seen the pig-tailed macaques we carried on along the road until we reached a bit of a waterhole off to the side. “Now you go to the toilet,” said the guard who spoke some English. “No, that's alright, I don't need to go to the toilet,” I said. “Yes, you go to the toilet.” “I don't need to go to the toilet.” “You go to the toilet now!” I have no idea what was going on but if I'd been a woman I would have been getting very scared right then!! I half expected him to point his shotgun at me and tell me to go to the toilet or die. After a bit of a stand-off, they decided I really didn't want to go to the toilet and we carried on to find the gibbon. Obviously it was the result of some sort of language difficulty but still really really weird!

The next morning we set off at 7.30am. I had tried some birding around the camp area earlier but there wasn't much there. I did see another giant squirrel and a red-bellied (Pallas') squirrel though. On the dirt road through the forest one of the guards pointed out fresh leopard droppings, which was a tad frustrating! It wasn't long before we found a family of hoolocks – father, mother and baby – followed by the stump-tailed macaque troop still waking up in the tops of a couple of trees – perhaps the leopard was still around somewhere and they didn't want to come down yet. No sign of yesterday's pig-tailed macaques, nor any Assamese macaques which I wanted to see. On the return to the HQ we walked along the railway track which runs right past the accommodation building (and is very noisy at night!). There was lots of elephant dung along the line. I wondered if the trains and elephants ever collide. I spotted a gibbon off in the forest and when we went in we found another family group of male, female and baby, and I managed to get some photos of the female which weren't too terrible. Back on the track a train went past and we stood off to the side. When we continued walking we found a large Indian rock python cut in three by the train, the head end still writhing in its death-throes. It was one of the saddest things I have seen in my travels, and I was really annoyed with myself because I thought if I had just looked up the track through my binoculars earlier I would have seen the python crossing the line and been able to get it out of the way before the train killed it.

The afternoon walk was for capped langurs. I had seen the group of females and young at Kaziranga but I wanted to see a male which are quite brightly coloured and remind me of red colobus. That mission was accomplished successfully with a very large troop crashing through the tree canopies. Very difficult to photograph because of where they were, but I managed a couple of “all-right” shots. I'm hoping to be able to get better photos at Nameri National Park where apparently they are easily seen in the grounds of the Eco-Camp, but you always take the chances when they arise just in case you never get another one. There was another giant squirrel seen as well (the third for the day) and a few birds. Because of the short time you're in the forest there's not really any time for birding if you want to find the primates, but amongst the few I saw were three lifers (white-throated bulbul, maroon oriole and sapphire flycatcher) as well as a red-headed trogon.

I had now seen pig-tailed and stump-tailed macaques, capped langurs and hoolocks. Slow loris was out for now (but I had a plan for that night involving sneaking), rhesus macaques I had seen plenty of at Kaziranga, and the last one was the Assamese macaque. I knew these were difficult to find because there was only one troop in the reserve, comprised of between 40 and 50 individuals. After the langurs had been found and watched and photographed, one of the guards said we would now go look for the Assamese macaques. We headed off across to the other side of the forest, along the edge of a tea plantation. After a while he stopped and said “that is my house over there. We will go there to drink tea.” A bit of a coincidence that he lives right by where the macaques were supposed to be, but we went over there. I sat on the sofa with a cup of tea, they turned on the tv, and then both the guards disappeared to eat. His daughter and son sat there smiling and nodding at me because they spoke no English and I spoke no Assamese. I tried to be patient because you don't want to annoy the people guiding you, and if they speak little English then there's no point getting antsy anyway because they don't really understand what you are saying or why you are annoyed. But after almost an hour had passed I was sick of my time being wasted and “suggested” we go look for the macaques. So we went back across the tea field to where there was a trail into the forest and one of the guards went inside. The other one said something along the lines of Assamese macaques are difficult because they only live where the wild elephants are and wild elephants are really dangerous. After maybe twenty seconds the first guard comes back out of the trail and I'm told that there are elephants there so we can't go look for the macaques. What a load of bollocks! Not much I could do about it though, so we went back to the HQ.

Over the course of that second day we had travelled around a few trails and along the railway line a couple of times so I now had a pretty good idea of where everything was and where I could get to trails in the dark without being seen, so my plan for the night was to go along the railway line and then into the forest on one of the trails which ran off it, and that way I wouldn't have to pass any of the guardposts. I hadn't tried this on the first night, partly because I didn't know the lay of the land properly and partly because I didn't want to get kicked out of the reserve if caught. Slow loris was once again within my grasp. Unfortunately though, even this sneaky loris plan got foiled! Late in the day I found out quite by accident (from an Indian photographer who had arrived to stay that day) that there was a two-day strike proposed to be happening tomorrow. To me a strike is some people in one industry stopping work but otherwise life goes on as normal. In Assam, in contrast, a strike apparently means that all the roads get shut down, the entire region grinds to a halt, it is impossible to get anywhere or do anything, and cars and buses that do try to go places get stoned! I had been going to leave Hollongapar the next day, bus to the city of Tezpur where there was said to be a good site for dolphins on the river, and then the day after that head to Nameri National Park, but this guy said that if the strike went ahead then I wouldn't be going anywhere, I would be stuck in Hollongapar for the duration with no food, and so if I could I should get out that night to somewhere safe. He had some friends arriving the next day and they were seriously scared about the travel, even though he was desperately arranging to get them there in the morning before light. Political strife doesn't normally bother me – like the lame stuff in Bangkok – but this sounded pretty full-on and I thought I better take his advice and get somewhere safe! Back to Wild Grass at Kaziranga seemed like a good bet because if I was going to be stuck somewhere, then somewhere with birds was preferable to the inside of a hotel room in some city. Also it wasn't too far away so I could get there that night. The really annoying thing was the money side of it because I had already paid for that night at Hollongapar (and the office was closed up so I couldn't try and get a refund), I would have to pay for the same night at Wild Grass too, and the car to Kaziranga set me back 3200 rupees (about NZ$62).

BIRDS:
507) White-throated bulbul Alophoixus flaveolus
508) Maroon oriole Oriolus traillii

509) Red-headed trogon Harpactes erythrocephalus
510) Sapphire flycatcher Ficedula sapphira

MAMMALS:
75) Stump-tailed macaque Macaca arctoides
76) Bicoloured giant squirrel Ratufa bicolor
77) Western hoolock gibbon Hylobates (Hoolock) hoolock

Nameri National Park etc: 24 February - 2 March

With a potential Assam-stopping strike in the air, I returned abruptly to Kaziranga. Better safe than sorry. If the strike went ahead I could stay at Kaziranga for a few days until it cleared, if it didn't happen I could go straight from there to Nameri National Park and arrive on the day I had planned to (I just had to miss out the dolphin search at Tezpur). In the morning I had another walk through the tea plantation. It can be a bit difficult birding in there because a lot of the birds tend to be down amongst the tea plants where it is impossible to see them. This morning I had some good luck with a whole flock of about twenty rufous-necked laughing thrushes bursting up out of the tea into a tree where I could see them. They were really beautiful birds. All laughing thrushes are beautiful, even the duller-coloured ones, but this species has really clean markings with none of the speckling and smudging of some, so they look even nicer. Totally worth googling a photo of to see what they look like.

After breakfast I found out some more about the strike. It was, according to the first version I heard, all to do with some political figure coming to Assam whom the locals did not approve of. Or perhaps it was to do with a guy who set himself on fire over a land protest, which was the second version I heard. You can imagine the sort of trouble which might brew when even the locals are confused about the reason for the strike. To avoid trouble it was the government shutting down all the roads, although I didn't really understand the connection between the government shutting the roads but the locals attacking the cars who did try to get around – it seemed a bit opposite. Anyway, what happens is that a strike is announced out of the blue, the roads are shut down, and because the Assamese still have a tribal feudal sort of mind-set it is easy for flash-mobs to form and disperse. In such situations it doesn't matter who you are or what colour your skin. Apparently it wasn't unknown for cars to even be set on fire with the occupants trapped inside. Definitely not the sort of time to risk travelling! The Indian tourists who had planes to catch at any time in the next few days were all packing up and leaving because they knew what the deal was. I found out that the strike was actually set for tomorrow, not today, and would be for two days (the 25th and 26th). I could stay at Kaziranga where the accommodation was cheaper but if I wanted to go into the park the costs were high, or do a quick run to Nameri where the accommodation was more expensive but the park costs were much much cheaper (because you are on foot and hence not paying all the jeep fees). Nameri made the most sense because I was going there next anyway and it would keep me more or less on schedule. Before leaving I made sure some other foreign tourists there knew what was happening, in case they had flights. One German couple had a flight on the 26th and I said they should probably go now to whichever city their flight was from, but the general manager at the lodge said “No problem, it will be fine to go on that day” and so they laughed it off. I had nowhere I needed to be – I could be at either Kaziranga or Nameri, it didn't really matter – but if I had needed to be somewhere on a specific date for a flight and something came up like this, I would make sure I got there! Especially if I was travelling with someone else – you don't want anything happening to that person if your car is stopped by a mob. I prefer to listen to the vibe of a place rather than a hotel worker saying “nah, no problem”, and the vibe here was saying “don't travel on those dates”!

I had met an Indian birder called Rocky Singh last time I was at Kaziranga (before I went to Hollongapar) and he was leaving that day to get to Guwahati while the roads were still open, so I caught a ride with him to the junction which leads off towards Nameri. Rocky is pretty well-known in India because when not birding hard-out he is a famous tv personality. When at Kaziranga I had kept seeing all the Indian tourists coming to introduce themselves and wanting autographs and such. I would have preferred to have met Amrita Rao but Rocky was a genuinely nice guy – actually one of the nicest guys I've met over this whole trip, and I've met a lot of nice people. If I had got a car all the way from Kaziranga to Nameri it would have cost me almost 3000 rupees; instead I got a free ride about half the way, then a bus to a four-way junction near the city of Tezpur for 20 rupees, then a shared taxi from there for another 20 rupees to the little town of Balipara where Binod from the Jia Borhelli Wild Resort at Nameri met me.

The forest at Nameri was first protected in 1878 as the Nameri Reserve. A lot of the parks in India have a long history of protection thanks to the British and their hunting lust. In 1985 the area became the Nameri Sanctuary, in 1998 the Nameri National Park, and then in 2000 it was designated as a Tiger Reserve, so now the full name is the Nameri National Park And Tiger Reserve. There are said to be almost 40 tigers in the forest, as well as elephants, gaur and all sorts of cats (clouded leopard, golden cat, jungle cat, etc) – not that you're likely to see most of those because you're not allowed in at night. Unlike Kaziranga however you are allowed to walk around in the forest on foot, in the accompaniment of an armed guard. (Kaziranga used to have foot safaris too, but in a complete over-reaction they were stopped after one tourist got killed by an elephant a few years ago). There are only two trails in Nameri (yes, just two trails) but the main one is quite long, about 3km or so, and goes through a variety of grassland and forest habitats. The combined entry-plus-guard fee is only 620 rupees per half-day (about NZ$12) plus a 50 rupee camera fee. The national park camera fees are just a scam really because there's no reason in the world to have a fee for non-professional photography, so it is good that at Nameri it is only 50 rupees (instead of 500 like at Kaziranga). If you go into the park twice a day you pay twice a day, but I found that it was too hot for the birds in the afternoon anyway, so I just did morning trips. There are only a few places to stay at Nameri, the most expensive being the Wild Mahseer (just for rich people), and then there's the Nameri Eco-Camp and the Jia Borhelli Wild Resort which are better for normal visitors, and which are right next door to one another. Most people stay at the Eco-Camp but I chose Jia Borhelli because it was much quieter and more peaceful (from what I'd read the Eco-Camp often had a bit of a “party” atmosphere and was also pretty run-down), and the owner Binod seemed more in tune with nature watchers. I was very impressed with the place and would highly recommend it. I think it is cheaper than the Eco-Camp as well.

The last part of the road from Balipara to Nameri is one of those horrible pot-holed dirt roads. It is a bit strange, but it seems like almost every national park I go to in Asia has an access road fit more for mule treks than tourist vehicles; even if all the other roads in the region are perfect, the ones into the national parks are almost always awful. From Jia Borhelli and the Eco-Camp there is a walk of about 1.5km along the final stretch of this dirt road until you reach a river which is the boundary of the park. Once ferried across the river there is a walk of just under another kilometre to the guard-post where your permit is checked. This second part is more like a trudge because it is across deep soft river sand the whole way; it isn't so bad in the morning but on the return it feels like you are lost in the Sahara because the sand is white and all the light and heat from the noon-day sun is reflecting straight up at you from the ground. The sand is always covered in the footprints of animals from the night before: birds, wild cats, dhole, buffalo, gaur and elephants. The elephant footprints are interesting: they are huge of course, like dinner plates, but the entire surface of the print is covered in little ripples like a breeze-blown pond. I imagine they are caused by the rumblings going through the elephant's body, vibrating the sand as the foot is lifted. Live animals which can be seen on the riverbanks include sand larks and big flocks of small pratincoles.

At Nameri the animal-watching in the forest (largely for birds) is all done on foot. There are no jeeps and you are accompanied by one armed guard. The best guard is Minaram because he is also an excellent birder. I went in the forest on five days. Twice were with Minaram and those were the best visits; another guard did not know the birds which was fine with me because he was quite enthusiastic about participating; one other guard was just useless and spent most of the time slouching about and kicking the ground while I was looking at birds, exactly like a young kid being forced to go shopping for towels with his parents. The loop trail has a watch-tower on it, overlooking a patch of small muddy pools, and this is a good spot to spend some time. There were always dozens of green imperial pigeons here, as well as sometimes wedge-tailed and pin-tailed green pigeons (the latter has a long tapering tail with a sort of whip coming out the end – really odd-looking). On all three occasions I visited the tower I saw a pair of black-tailed crakes, a shy species I had seen only once previously, at Doi Inthanon in Thailand in 2006. On two of the visits there was a black stork fishing in one of the pools, and once a lesser adjutant. The trees directly around the tower often had bulbuls and woodpeckers and nuthatches and minivets in them. It's a nice spot. There are three species of hornbills in the park – great, wreathed and Oriental pied – and I saw all three. I love watching the big hornbills flying. They take just two or three wingbeats, which because they are so big carries them 30 or 40 feet, and then they just glide, wings out flat, looking like a model aeroplane, then a couple more wingbeats, then another glide, and so on. They sound like jet engines when they fly overhead because of the size of their wings. Another bird I enjoyed seeing was the vernal hanging parrot, of which I saw one large flock. I have seen blue-crowned hanging parrots in the wild in Malaysia, and both blue-crowned and vernal hanging parrots in zoos, but I've never seen them hanging before. They are so-called because they roost upside-down, hanging by their feet under the branches like bats. I had read about this and seen photos, and now I finally got to see it in real life.

The primary attraction in the forest for most birders is the white-winged wood duck, a highly endangered forest duck. It is a species which is spread over a wide part of south and southeast Asia, but the populations are now fragmented through hunting and habitat loss. I had seen the duck previously in Sumatra in 2009 but I always like to see animals again, no matter how many times I see them. Because of the limited number of trails (two) there are really only a couple of pools in the forest where you can try and see the ducks, although I was told there are an estimated sixty of them in the park. The main problem with seeing white-winged wood ducks is that they are incredibly shy. Here, whoever sees the ducks first in the morning scares them away simply by their presence, so you need to get there first! The first time I tried I got there too late (I had been told the park opens at 7am when in fact it opens at 6am) and a bird group from Finland had already been and seen them. The next day I got into the park as early as possible. When we came to the main pool where a pair lives we crept in along the approach trail as sneakily as we could, but the ducks were wise to us and both flew off immediately. However one of them happened to fly straight past us through the forest so we got a good look at it in flight. After more birding further up the main trail we returned to the pool, maybe an hour later, and one of the ducks was back, cruising around in the middle in the open. He didn't realise we were there so we got to watch him for a while before I decided to leave him be, and we snuck away again leaving him completely undisturbed.

Apart for walks in the forest, the other birding attraction at Nameri is the river-rafting trip. This isn't a white-knuckle spray-drenched rapid-riding trip, but a much more preferable sedate cruise in a rubber raft down a mostly-calm river. There are a few small rapid sections, but mostly it is for looking for ibisbills. In case you aren't aware the ibisbill is the world's most awesome wading bird. It breeds high up in the Himalayas and migrates to lower altitudes in winter, but it only lives along rocky fast-flowing rivers. There aren't many places where it is easy to see and so it is one of the world's most-wanted species for bird-watchers. Nameri is fairly reliable if you're there at the right time of year, and even more special is that I can't really think of anywhere else where you can potentially see both ibisbill and white-winged wood duck on the same day!! The rafting trip is 2700 rupees (about NZ$52), so quite expensive if you're alone, but I was fortunate in that I managed to join up with a group of five (non-birding) Indian tourists and so only had to pay a sixth of the cost. The ride was probably about an hour in length I guess – I didn't keep track – and for birds it was really good. There were a lot of ruddy shelducks and common mergansers (aka goosanders), and some mallards, common teal and pintails; four species of kingfishers (common, white-throated, pied and crested); river lapwings, small pratincoles and Indian river terns; and even a peregrine falcon sitting on stones in the middle of the river which the boatman said was a Pallas' fish-eagle (in Assam “Pallas' fish-eagle” is the fall-back call for any bird of prey seen). Two birds usually seen, but not on this trip, were long-billed plover (which I had already seen in China) and great thick-knee (which I haven't seen before). But did I see an ibisbill? Yes I did! And I even managed photos! I had looked for ibisbills in China whenever I was in suitable places but without any luck. Here I found three. Actually I only saw two but there was a third one behind the stones which the boatman could see but I couldn't. They are brilliant birds! They are called ibisbills because they have a long downcurved bill like an ibis, but they are much smaller than an ibis, maybe the size of a largish seagull I suppose but with longer legs and neck (basically imagine a pale grey ibis the size of a seagull). They are the same colour as the river rocks and when they are standing amongst them they can be quite difficult to see. I did the raft trip a second time a few days later with another guy that had turned up. Of course I had to pay half the full rate rather than a sixth like the first trip, but it was worth it to see the ibisbills again. This second trip I saw five ibisbills all together and mostly the same “regular” birds as the first trip – still minus the thick-knee and long-billed plover – but with the added bonus of a wild elephant on the bank.

Nameri National Park isn't really somewhere you go for mammals. There are lots of species there, including very exciting ones like clouded leopards and golden cats, but you can't do any spotlighting in the park and with only two trails you'd have to be lucky indeed to see anything major during the daytime. The only mammals I saw were all ones I had seen already: hoary-bellied squirrels and bicoloured giant squirrels (the only two squirrels in the park, or so I was told), rhesus macaques (but again I could not find any Assamese macaques), capped langurs (but no photos), a wild pig, a couple of common muntjac, and a bull elephant on the second rafting trip. There was also a “wild elephant” by the watch-tower one day, which I saw a couple of days later being ridden by two forest guards and I don't think they tamed it like Crocodile Dundee and his water buffalo! I saw some water buffalo too, come to that, but I don't really think they were any wilder. On one of the days a sambar turned up – on the end of a tether. It had been the pet of an army officer in Tezpur and was now being released at Nameri; I reckon it would have ended up as tiger food before more than a couple of days had passed. (And speaking of tigers there were fresh pug-marks on the trail one morning). I spent one whole morning just sitting in the watch-tower hoping for gaur because I was told they are common in the park and this was the best bet of where to possibly see them, but the only ungulate I saw was a muntjac. However there was one very special and exciting mammal I did see, just not inside the park.....

I have mentioned the Gangetic river dolphin already in other posts. It is a highly-endangered blind river-dwelling dolphin endemic to the Indian subcontinent. I had been led to believe it was going to be a bit of a long-shot trying to see a dolphin at this time of year because of the low river levels. There is a site east of Kaziranga which I never got to, there is the site on the river by Tezpur which I'd had to temporarily bypass due to the strike, and I had also found out that they can be seen from the main jetty on the river in Guwahati. Tezpur is the small city I passed by on the way to Nameri. I had been going to stop there overnight on the way to Nameri but couldn't, so my slight plan change was to stop there overnight when leaving Nameri. However it is only one or one-and-a-half hours from Nameri so I thought I could just as conveniently get there as a day-trip out of Nameri if it didn't cost too much. Binod (the owner of Jia Borhelli where I was staying) got hold of the boatman who does the dolphin trips – there is apparently only one person who does them, and it cost me 1500 rupees (about NZ$29) for the boat – and he was told that the dolphins are just as reliable now as they always are, which was excellent news. Just as excellently, Binod also arranged a free ride for me from Balipara to Tezpur on his friend's motorbike (so I got free transport and his friend got a free dolphin viewing, so it worked for both of us). The little carnival-coloured boat came puttering noisily up to the beach, black smoke belching from the motor, and we jumped on board. I checked my watch so that I could write here how much time passed before I saw a dolphin ...... and that length of time turned out to be three minutes!! I hadn't expected it to be that easy. I'm not sure how many dolphins there were; I saw a maximum of two at once but I think there must have been at least four or five total. They were even more difficult to photograph than the Irrawaddy dolphins in Burma. At least with those ones I could track ahead of one and sometimes get a photo when it came back up for air, or keep the camera on the spot where one went down because sometimes a second one would come up right after in the same spot. With the Gangetic dolphins they came up completely randomly and always singly, and they spent a long time underwater, so there was literally no way to anticipate it. The best – albeit terrible – technique was to just point the camera at any stretch of water and hope one came up in frame!! I got exactly one photo which was sort of worth looking at. On the other hand, the actual views were better than with the Irrawaddy dolphins, where I rarely saw more than the top of the head and the curve of the back as they arched up to breathe and ducked under again. With the Gangetic dolphins they mostly shot the whole head upwards out of the water followed by the body in a sort of half-leap – sometimes you could even see between the body and the water surface – and then splash back down. Fantastic animal, and the best wild mammal I have seen in India by far.

One more very special thing I did at Nameri was getting to see pigmy hogs. These, as the name might suggest, are a very tiny species of pig. They are endemic to Assam and now found solely in the grasslands of Manas National Park. There are a couple of captive breeding centres for them, one at Basistha near Guwahati where there are between 60 and 70 hogs, and a smaller newer one here at Nameri where there are twelve hogs. Some have also been released at Nameri, despite the park probably not being within the species' former range and not having suitable habitat; the released animals don't appear to have survived. I saw two pairs of pigmy hogs at the breeding centre as well as a juvenile. They are great wee animals. I have wanted to see a pigmy hog for years and seeing them in captivity is a good start (there are none anywhere in the world outside Assam) but in the wild would be even better. The main aim for going to my next destination of Manas National Park is to attempt this although the chances of success are not high. In fact they are pretty infintesimal. The pigmy hogs don't like coming out in the open and the grassland where they live is not short grass, it is elephant grass over head-height. But I don't let little things like impossibility dull my spirit! The only problem I anticipate is the one of getting anyone to actually help me look for them because they will just be like “it is impossible to see them” and not want to even try (and at Manas all the access in the park is by jeep only like at Kaziranga so I can't just wander round by myself).

BIRDS:
(KAZIRANGA NATIONAL PARK)
511) Grey-cheeked warbler Seicercus poliogenys
512) Rufous-cheeked laughing thrush Garrulax ruficollis

(NAMERI NATIONAL PARK)
513) Sand lark Calandrella raytal
514) Wedge-tailed green pigeon Treron sphenura
515) Barred cuckoo-dove Macropygia unchall
516) Pin-tailed green pigeon Treron apicauda
517) Black-tailed crake Porzana bicolor
518) Rufous woodpecker Celeus brachyurus
519) Plain martin Riparia paludicola
520) Blue-bearded bee-eater Nyctyornis athertoni
521) Black stork Ciconia nigra
522) Common merganser (Goosander) Mergus merganser
523) Ibisbill Ibidorhyncha struthersii
524) Vernal hanging parrot Loriculus vernalis
525) Lesser yellownape woodpecker Picus chlorolophus
526) Small niltava Niltava macgrigoriae

527) White-winged wood duck Cairina scutulata
528) Grey-bellied tesia Tesia cyaniventer
529) Striped tit-babbler Macronous gularis
530) Yellow-bellied fantail Chelidorhynx hypoxantha
531) Silver-breasted broadbill Serilophus lunatus
532) Slaty-backed flycatcher Ficedula hodgsonii
533) Chestnut-headed bee-eater Merops leschenaulti

534) Large woodshrike Tephrodornis gularis

MAMMALS:
(TEZPUR)
78) Gangetic dolphin Platanista gangetica

About 100 people killed are killed by elephants in Assam each year! No wonder the locals are edgy...

The tourist killed by elephants at Kaziranga was a Dutch birder. I think that completely stopping on-foot access to Kaziranga was a very wise decision, even if it is annoying.

To end on more positive notes: Kaziranga is great despite the hassle with access/camera fees etc. I really should visit in winter (I was there in May when access gets even more limited). I saw (and heard!) Western Hoolock in the Mishmi Hills in Arunachal Pradesh, which are off-limits to solo travellers: my first (and still only) ape.

Great to have your excellent reports back. Very pleased you managed to see the Gangetic River Dolphins.

TS
thanks. There were two mammals I was particularly wanting to look for in Assam which I thought would be tricky-to-impossible. One was the dolphin which turned out to be far easier than anticipated. The other was the pigmy hog at Manas (which is the national park the next post is about).....

About 100 people killed are killed by elephants in Assam each year! No wonder the locals are edgy...

The tourist killed by elephants at Kaziranga was a Dutch birder. I think that completely stopping on-foot access to Kaziranga was a very wise decision, even if it is annoying.

To end on more positive notes: Kaziranga is great despite the hassle with access/camera fees etc. I really should visit in winter (I was there in May when access gets even more limited). I saw (and heard!) Western Hoolock in the Mishmi Hills in Arunachal Pradesh, which are off-limits to solo travellers: my first (and still only) ape.
I do understand why there are rules and regulations, it is just aggravating that there are no choices! If there were, I would choose to walk. I'd rather die from being hit by an elephant while exploring than die from being hit by a car back home.

Manas National Park: 3-8 March

After Nameri National Park I was headed for Manas National Park. My plan was to take buses from Nameri to Guwahati (the city I had flown into when I arrived in Assam) where I would stay overnight, and then the next day bus to Barpeta Road, which is the closest bus station to Manas (20km away). I had checked this when I got to Kaziranga in case there was a more direct route but was told that there was not. However at Nameri I found out that in fact there was a bus that went straight from Tezpur to Barpeta Road and it would take about seven hours. Even more conveniently I could catch that bus at Balipara before it reached Tezpur. At 8.45am one morning I hopped on that bus, the fare just 230 rupees (about NZ$4.50). At 9.35am the bus reached the main bus station in Tezpur – and that is where it stayed until after noon! I couldn't find anyone with enough English to tell me what was going on so I was getting a bit grumpy. Finally the bus set off, only to be stopped again about an hour later for another half-hour. At 3.30pm the bus stopped for a meal-break at a town called Kharupetia. I had a look in the display cabinet for the food in the restaurant there, and saw a house mouse sitting behind the glass nibbling away at the rolls. House mouse was new for my Indian mammal list, but I didn't think I wanted to eat exactly the same food as them, so I just bought a loaf of bread and some peanuts at a nearby store and ate those instead. On the corner just near that restaurant was a sign for something called the “Romeo and Juliet Gent's Parlour” but I had no free time to check that out (I later saw a lot of Gent's Parlours in Guwahati and they aren't what they sound like – they are where men go to get shaved with cut-throat razors, or to get their hair cut). I knew I wasn't going to get to Barpeta Road by the designated time of 4.30pm and indeed it turned out to be 7.40pm before we arrived (and it appears that Barpeta Road is the actual name of a small village, quite different to the town of Barpeta which is some distance away). Once there I was handed over to the English-speaking manager of the bus station who told me that there were no more buses/shared taxis running that night between Barpeta Road and Bansbari where the park entrance was and where I was booked in to stay at the Florican Cottages, so I would have to stay in town and go there tomorrow. I protested that I was already booked in so I would have to pay for that night whether I arrived or not, so I would just get a regular taxi there (otherwise I would be paying two lots of accommodation for that night). It then transpired that the reason the bus had been held back in Tezpur for so long, and the reason there had been a whole bunch of police road-blocks along the way, was that there had been a bombing in Barpeta Road that day (just around the corner in fact) and so none of the taxis were going to risk travelling out at night. That settled that then. The bus manager walked me to the nearby Tourist Lodge where the only avaliable room was 1000 rupees (too expensive when I was already paying 1300 at Florican Cottages), then to the Tripsi Hotel which was full, and finally to the Assam Lodge where the rooms were just 300 rupees. I then asked him whether he could call Florican for me to let them know what had happened – I should have really asked him to do this right at the start because it turned out that the manager at Florican had been on the phone all evening trying to find out what had happened to me when I never arrived, and he said he would just come into town and pick me up. Then the guy at the desk of the Assam Lodge said I had to pay for the room because I had already signed the book. I said no because I had literally been in the building ten minutes and never even entered the room, and he and the bus manager got into a discussion about it (the hotel guy didn't speak English so he couldn't say anything to me directly). I said to the bus manager that the hotel guy could complain all night long but I wasn't paying for a room I never used. Once that was sorted out (i.e. I didn't pay and the hotel guy stayed angry) I sat outside in the street until the car got there from Florican.

Manas National Park is expensive. More expensive than Kaziranga National Park. As with Kaziranga you aren't allowed in on foot, only by jeep, and here the jeeps cost 2600 rupees per half day plus the standard 500 rupee park entry fee and 50 rupee camera fee. Two jeeps a day would set a solo traveller back 5750 rupees (about NZ$111) if he had to pay it all himself. You can also get a full-day jeep for 4200 rupees but bizarrely the park entry fee is then a whopping 2000 rupees!! If you are visiting for one day then you can pay those prices – and I have met many people just staying one day at each park – but if you're staying for a proper amount of time then you would need to have deep pockets. Probably needless to say, I wasn't going to (or able to) pay full price for all the jeeps on every day of my stay. As at Kaziranga I hoped to join up with others. The trouble is that this is a poor tourist season and relatively few tourists even come to Manas so I was at the wrong end of things right off the bat. The cottages at Florican cost 1500 rupees per night (although I got mine for 1300 a night – about NZ$25) and food is 400 per day for vegetarian or 595 for non-vegetarian. Then, just to get that bit more money out of you, they add on a 5% “service charge” to the accommodation and food (which neither Wild Grass nor Jia Borhelli did). So 1300 per night for six nights equals 7800 rupees (about NZ$150) but then they add on 390 rupees (NZ$8) as a “service charge” – not much but when you're paying so much for everything else those seemingly small amounts do add up. I didn't think much of Florican Cottages overall, and I can't say I would particularly recommend it. It was alright but no more than that. On the other hand I think it suffered in comparison with Wild Grass and Jia Borhelli which were both excellent. Maybe if I had visited Manas first on the trip I would have thought more of Florican than I did. I sort of felt a bit uncomfortable there as well, but I'm not sure why. The creepy waiter didn't help, with the way at each meal he just stood there the entire time watching me eating – very unnerving!. There was also the common thing I had found in Assam where you think you have organised something, the person (in this case the manager) would repeat back to you what you wanted so you know he has understood perfectly well, and then nothing gets organised, or what is organised is not right. It was like they were playing some sort of game to see how far they could push me. Most of my time at Manas was spent in a mixture of annoyance and frustration at both Florican and the rules of the park itself. A better idea for budget travellers might be to stay in Barpeta Road (for example, at the Assam Lodge for 300 rupees per night) and take the shared taxis to and from the park each day for 20 rupees per trip. You wouldn't be able to get into the park as early as if staying right at the gates – I think the taxis start running at about 7 or 7.30am, and they would take about an hour to reach the park – but it would save you a lot of money (at least 1000 rupees a day) which could then be used for the jeeps. I would have quickly changed to doing this myself but I had burned my bridges with the Assam Lodge when I refused to pay for that room, and I knew the Tourist Lodge rooms cost 1000 rupees which wasn't much of a saving, so I just stayed where I was.

Manas is fantastic for wildlife – it has large areas of grassland and forest and shares a border with the forests of Bhutan (the park is actually in both countries) – but as everywhere else in Assam you are restricted from seeing a lot of that wildlife because you aren't allowed into the park at night (unless you stay at the government guesthouse inside the park at Mathanguri but they don't have vehicles to get around, which makes things tricky, and the price was too high for me anyway). I asked the manager at Florican if there was any problem walking at night along the road which forms the park boundary – it is outside the park behind a haphazard wire fence and I reckon I might have been able to find porcupines and so on – but I was told that was forbidden by the park management. I said “so the people who live in the village here, they aren't allowed on that road either at night?” and the response was that the villagers were but foreigners were not. The guards can ban people from entering the park, and they are such sticklers for rules in India that if I got caught at night – even though the road is not in the park itself – they would probably ban me and I didn't want that, so once again no spot-lighting! The rules are even more aggravating when, as here, the fence is full of holes made so that the village cows and goats can get through into the park to graze and there are little kids running back and forth – but it is “too dangerous” for stupid foreigners to walk in there, even with an armed guard.

My main “targets” at Manas were, in order of expected ease-of-finding: golden langur, Bengal florican, pigmy hog and hispid hare. Golden langurs were only scientifically described in the 1950s. They are a monkey I have wanted to see for a long time but didn't think I would ever have the chance. Apparently they are 100% reliable at a village called Kakoijana near the park. The Bengal florican is a bird, a type of bustard, and they were supposed to be commonly seen at Manas (if you don't know either floricans or bustards then imagine a sort of turkey with white wings and black head and neck). The other two animals, the pigmy hog and hispid hare, are slightly trickier. The hispid hare is as good as impossible – the manager at Florican said that when night safaris were allowed inside the park (up until a few years ago) the hispid hares were seen frequently but they are never seen in the day-time. Night safaris would have been great at Manas – apart for the hispid hare there is black-naped hare, Indian crested porcupine, several civets and mongooses, three species of wild dog (dhole, jackal and fox), and seven species of cats (tiger, leopard, clouded leopard, golden cat, jungle cat, leopard cat and fishing cat). Apparently the night safaris in all the parks were stopped by the tiger preservation people who have been trying to ban all tourism in the tiger reserves. Although hispid hare was out, the pigmy hog could apparently be seen if the conditions were right (after the grass had been burned off). I was told that, on average, doing the jeep safaris for a week when the grass was still short (as it is now) might result in two pigmy hog sightings. I also added on gaur to the list, because I was told on arrival that it was another “guaranteed” animal. I really don't like it when people tell me certain animals are guaranteed (god-damn Baikal seals!!).

On my first day at Manas there was nobody to join up with in jeeps. I would probably be paying full price for some jeep rides I knew, but I wanted to stretch my time to allow as many joined rides as possible. Basically, with the money I had, I could only afford to do a maximum of four full-priced jeep rides or eight shared half-cost ones. As it turned out I was the only person staying at Florican for my entire six nights (or at least until the very last night, but that didn't do me much good). Not the only foreign person, the only person full stop. So I ended up paying for all my jeeps anyway, which meant just one per day for four days. I didn't know that in advance of course, so for the first day I just did some random birding on foot along the road by the park. In one direction, about half a kilometre from Florican, is a river, and in the other direction lies a tea and pepper-tree plantation. Between the two is scrubby grassland full of goats and cows. I think I need to start paying more attention to white wagtails when birding – this first morning I saw some by the river which turned out to be white-browed wagtails, a new species for me which I have probably been overlooking continuously. Other good birds in the morning were a flock of Finn's weavers (another lifer for me), a black-shouldered kite, striated grassbird and red junglefowl. In the plantation there was a greater goldenback woodpecker, a pair of nesting large woodshrikes, a flock of jungle babblers with rufous treepies, and a grey bushchat. In the afternoon a pair of blue-bearded bee-eaters provided good viewing in the plantation, there was a scaly thrush there as well, a few lineated barbets glowing bright green in the sun, and a thick-billed warbler in some scrub. Only a couple of the birds so far had been additions to the life/year/trip lists though. The only mammal species seen so far at Manas had been a group of hog deer.

The manager of Florican had said he would keep checking with the other lodges and let me know if there were any other tourists with which I could team up with for jeeps, but I didn't fancy my chances. For starters I suspect that none of the lodges would want one of their guests going on another lodge's jeep because then they lose out on the money (and same for my lodge if I join with another lodge's guest). I'm not exactly confident he even did ask any of the other lodges. There was nobody except me staying at Florican, so for my second morning I just booked a jeep for myself. I had heard some rain on the roof early morning but when I came out at 6am for the jeep the ground was dry. It was very dull and rainy-looking but I hoped it would hold off (the jeeps are open). All the jeeps follow the same routes I think, but it covers the main pigmy hog area and the main Bengal florican site so that was fine. Not a lot of birds were seen over the course of the morning (or, rather, a lot were seen but not stopped for). First bird species for the morning though was Indian blue peafowl. I had heard these calling in the mornings and evenings from where my room was, and I'd been looking forward to seeing them. I've seen thousands of blue peafowl before of course, but only domestic/captive ones, never real wild ones. For some reason there are none at Kaziranga but here they are everywhere, adorning the trees like giant exotic fruits and stalking imperiously through the elephant grass. The very first one I saw was just a huge elongated silhouette in a tree (so big I didn't even realise it was a bird at first) and I saw a pair of kalij pheasants before I got my first good look at a wild blue peafowl. They really are preposterous birds. Most animals which look unusual or outrageous in zoos look quite perfect when seen in the wild. Peacocks are the opposite – they look right when they are on the lawns of stately manors and palaces, but in the wild they are other-wordly. They look like a human-bred mutant – like Persian cats and dachshunds do – not like something natural. They are too big, too brightly-coloured, and when you see the males doing their courtship display in the middle of the grassland you wonder how they possibly survive out there. It is a pity they are so common in captivity because if they weren't then they would probably be one of the most amazing animals of this whole trip; as it is they are nice to see in the wild, it is good to see how they behave naturally, but in the end I am just too used to seeing them. The only other “new” bird for the day was a Bengal florican, which as it was one of the species on my “really want list” was very welcome. It was a very easy bird to find as well. We went to one of the watch-towers, the guide took about a one minute look at the surrounding grass-fields and said “there's one”. It was a male, but pretty much hidden inside a patch of long grass, only visible in parts as he moved about. Then he suddenly shot straight up into the air in a display flight, white wings fluttering, all the black neck feathers puffed out like a pelican's pouch, and came back down to ground right out in the open. He stood there for a bit looking around, as if to say “right, where are the ladies at then?” and then slowly walked back over to the long grass. He was too far back for good photos – I got some “record shots” – but with the binoculars I could see him just fine. Every time I visited that watch-tower he was there.

Because of years of poaching during the troubled times when this area was closed to tourism (the park only opened again in 2004), Manas is really disappointing for mammal-watching in comparison with Kaziranga. There a single jeep safari can net you literally dozens of rhinos and elephants, buffalo by the crate, and large herds of deer. Here, despite the great habitat, on the first morning I only saw a few hog deer (about five or six), a muntjac, a sambar, a wild pig, some capped langurs, two small groups of wild water buffalo, and admittedly quite a lot of elephants (it seemed like four or five herds but it may have been just two or three repeating themselves). But I was here for some very specific mammals. The rain did not hold off as I had hoped it would, instead it started just after the jeep did and for the first hour hammered down. Pigs like it muddy, generally speaking, but I suspect the pigmy hog does not. I saw some captive ones at Nameri and they reminded me more of agoutis or mouse deer than the larger pig species. They were very shy, even though they must have been used to people, and were easily startled back into cover. I expected the wild ones to be just the same: to come out of the grass in pairs or small family groups to forage but dash away as soon as disturbed. If I was that small I would be nervous too! I was hoping but not expecting to see a pigmy hog and the rain did not increase my expectations. No pigmy hogs were seen but at least the rain stopped. Later in the forested areas we saw a rather small wild pig on the road, so while I didn't see a pigmy hog I did see a small hog. Also in the forest was a troop of capped langurs which I hadn't known were in this park (being too focused on golden langurs!). At the north of the park is a site called Mathanguri where the forest department lodge is, and there was a male capped langur here also, taking shelter from an almost gale force wind which had sprung up after the rain left off. Finally I managed to get some good photos of a capped langur!! Mathanguri is beside a river, and that river forms part of Assam's border with Bhutan. The guide pointed out what he said was a golden langur in a very distant tree on the other side of the river. Looking into the wind is never easy with binoculars and the supposed langur was just too far away. I don't think it was a golden langur at all, I think it was a bunch of dead leaves, but I really couldn't tell one way or the other. All I can say is that it never moved the whole time I was trying to see what it was.

In the afternoon I took a walk around the tea plantation again. My birding in Assam has started to stall because now I'm mostly seeing the same birds I've already seen with only the odd new bird here and there. A pair of purple sunbirds was good though (I'd only seen the species for the first time in Burma the other month). The main path through the plantation had been dug over since yesterday. As I walked along it I saw an earthworm lying on the surface of the soil. I don't know what made me stop to look closer. It wasn't just the simple naturalist's curiosity of “oh an earthworm, I want to look at that”, more like some subconscious recognition that something wasn't quite right. Even in my hand it looked exactly like an earthworm, maybe ten centimeters long, but there was this little nagging voice in my head. As I turned it over I realised that it had a slightly paler ventral surface and darker dorsal surface. It wasn't an obvious difference but it was there, and hence it wasn't just a uniform tube like a worm should be. And looking at the dorsal surface I also realised that there was a barely noticeable distinction between the head and the body. It was a blind-snake, a member of the family Typhlopidae, also commonly called worm-snakes. This one might have been Ramphotyphlops braminus but I'm not sure. They live entirely underground and are rarely seen. This one was freshly-dead unfortunately but very exciting nevertheless. Once I knew it was a blind-snake I could then tell that the body was in fact covered in microscopic scales. It had no eyes (hence the name blind-snake) but I could just make out the tiny mouth. A magnifying glass would have definitely helped! I knew from my book-learning that typhlopids resembled earthworms, and I had even seen photos of them, but it was mind-blowing how in real life it was so amazingly like an earthworm in appearance that I almost thought it was one! Although it was dead it was still the highlight of the day, beating out even the Bengal florican. I'm not sure what that says about me as a birder.....

The next day was a bit of a repeat of the day before: a jeep by myself in the morning and a walk in the tea plantation in the afternoon. I restricted the jeep activity to the lower part of the park which is mostly grassland (the main pigmy hog area), and we basically just drove all round the roads keeping a look-out in the surrounding grass. Not a very exciting technique but the only one there is, although I did also get to have a ten minute walk through some grassland by one of the watch-towers. If proper walking was allowed I think that might be more productive than driving, because you could search in the grassland itself. You could also do the search from elephant-back which would give the advantage of greater height to look down into the grass and you'd be in the grassland itself rather than restricted to the road, but I had seen how the mahouts treat their elephants as if they were no more animate than jeeps, and seen some of the training techniques to force the elephants into submission, and I didn't want to be party to that. Even at the expense of seeing pigmy hogs I have my moral code to hold to. What I really needed was a hoverboard. No pigmy hogs were seen today, but there were some regular wild pigs, hog deer, muntjac, elephants and even a rhino and calf. All the rhinos had been poached out from Manas and the ones here now are translocations from Kaziranga; there aren't many and they are all radio-collared.

The morning jeep rides at Manas last for four hours. I had met a chap at Nameri who had just come from Manas and he told me that the jeep staff from the Bansbari Lodge where he stayed (but sadly too expensive a hotel for me) were really good and didn't mind staying out longer for an extra half-hour or more, but the ones from Florican were dead-set on not going over: once the four hours was up, that was it. This turned out to be absolutely correct. On the first day, the ride from Mathanguri back to the gate was done at a very rapid pace with no stops allowed because they wanted to finish (which means you don't actually get a full four hours of animal-watching). I also got stuck with a guide who while perfectly friendly was also perfectly useless. He appeared to know the places where pigmy hogs would be found (er, grassland – not difficult), so that was alright because that was what I was concentrating on, but he knew nothing about birds and he even ID'd some hog deer as “swamp deer” (i.e. barasingha, which I'm pretty sure don't even occur in the park). On the second day I got really annoyed with the jeep situation because we started at 7am and should have been in there until 11am. Between the grassland patches are forest patches, so I never knew exactly where we were, but at 10am they started roaring through one large forest area, and at 10.20 I realised we were very near the gate. I said it was too early to leave yet and the guide said there was a place we could walk from here. This sounded a bit like an excuse but I asked if it was through grassland and he said yes. It turned out to be a short-cut across the corner of the park, where the villagers graze their cattle, and the only higher vegetation there is cane thickets. There was no chance for pigmy hogs in there and I had just had the last forty minutes of the morning wasted when we should have been still looking in the proper habitat.

The next morning there was a break from pigmy hogs to take care of another animal on the “really want list”, the golden langur. This monkey has a very restricted range here in northern Assam and neighbouring Bhutan. It was described scientifically in the 1950s although there had been various vague published comments on the monkeys prior to that. I can't remember where I first read about it, but I have wanted to see one for about the last thirty years! I knew it was “easy” to see in Bhutan – but for foreigners that makes it not easy at all because of Bhutan's tricky visa regulations. I had met two people at Kaziranga who had stayed at Mathanguri while at Manas, and they had been allowed to enter Bhutan “illegally” to see golden langurs on the tennis court of the King of Bhutan's summer place. On the Assamese side of the border in Manas the golden langur is very difficult to find, but there are a couple of villages in the vicinity (outside the park) which harbour populations. The one which Florican takes their guests to is called Kakoijana and it is about 75km from Bansbari. I had asked Florican's manager if there was a best time of day – morning, noon, afternoon? – and been told that it didn't matter what time of day to go, it was all the same. When I got to the village though it was immediately apparent that it was one of those situations where the langurs are easy to see very early in the morning in the trees and bamboo groves just in and near the village, but then they move up into the forest in the hills behind where it would be a lot more work to find them. Fortunately I was there by 9.30am, early enough that although the monkeys had left the village a few were still quite close, in the gardens up the hill. I only saw four individuals, nowhere near as many as I had been expecting, but I saw them really well so that was alright. Unexpectedly they were quite wary – not fleeing in terror from us but not allowing any close approaches either – so the photos weren't the best; I will hopefully find at least a few lookatable ones amongst them. The langurs are not bright orange-gold but rather a pale blonde-gold, with a dark grey wash over the forelimbs. They look best in the sun when they really glow, but the colour gets washed out in photos so they look more whitish. Around Kakoijana and some other nearby villages the langurs are protected from harassment. I was told there are about 600 in the area. As a bonus the villagers are all really friendly and smiley, unlike the people at Bansbari! The golden langur is the fourteenth species of primate I have seen on this trip, and 50% of those (seven species) have been lifers.

When I first arrived at Manas I had been told that gaur are common in the park and that I was guaranteed to see them. This was good news. There are no gaur at Kaziranga and there wasn't really any great hope of seeing them when I was at Nameri. Gaur are a type of wild cattle, the males being massive black hulks, six foot at the shoulder and solid muscle. I have always pronouced gaur to rhyme with sour, probably due to Willard Price's Tiger Adventure in which he wrote something along the lines of “the name rhymes with sour and with power, two words which describe the animal perfectly”. In India everyone pronounces it like “gore”, which I guess is an equally appropriate word. In Assam it is also called by the Burmese name mythun (pronounced “mee-tun”, with the u like the oo in book), and by the British colonialists' name “Indian bison”. That last one is the most common name, and if I wanted to be understood when talking about them I had to grit my teeth and call them bison! On the first two jeep safaris, both in the morning, there were no gaur to be seen anywhere. I suspected that they were only coming out in the evening and this proved to be the case when I went out in the afternoon for my third jeep ride (after the morning golden langur trip). For the first two hours we drove slowly around the grassland areas looking for pigmy hogs. My birding has been nothing to be proud of at Manas, but this morning from one of the watch-towers I saw my 1400th species of bird, a female black-throated thrush. Later in the afternoon we went to the northern area of the park where the gaur were said to be found. Sure enough we found a male gaur, although he wasn't close and was mostly hidden by the grass. I could see his back with the characteristic shoulder hump, and the top of his head with the thick curvy horns, and then he disappeared into thicker scrub. I hoped that wasn't going to be my only sighting but fortunately we later came across an entire herd, next to a small group of wild water buffalo and a small herd of elephants. The light was no good for photos but it was good enough to watch them by. I'm not sure exactly how many there were because the calves were low enough to be mostly below the grass-line, but it was around twenty or so.

After seeing the gaur we continued on towards the exit gate. It was right on dusk by this point and by the time we reached the gate the headlights were on, but no special nocturnal animals were seen apart for a couple of nightjars. There were quite a lot of wild pigs on the way though. There are a lot of very small wild pigs at the park, and three in particular made us screech to a halt because they looked just about the right size for pigmy hogs (and the guide said that they were pigmy hogs!). Fortunately wild pigs and pigmy hogs look quite different, the two best give-aways at either end being the large ears and long tail of the wild pigs (versus the small ears and miniscule tail of the pigmy hogs) so no confusion if you get a proper look – but I was definitely glad I had seen the pigmy hogs in person at Nameri (and got photos of them to look at) otherwise I might have now been patting myself on the back saying “wooh yeah, pigmy hog!”

The afternoon jeep safaris seemed a better idea than the morning ones, so for my fourth and last ride I repeated what I had done the day before. These last two rides went quite well because I had managed to train the driver and guide to drive slowly. They have a habit of driving pretty fast around the tracks, I don't know why, and it was a bit of a struggle getting them to slow down. But for the last two rides we went slowly around the grassland sections, although as soon as we got into any forest sections immediately the speed would shoot up. Nothing different was seen, and the total of pigmy hogs seen remained at zero. I knew going in it was a bit of a long-shot but at least I gave it a good try. I still don't really know how good anybody's chances are. Jon Hall when he was in Assam (see his Mammalwatching website) was told that when the grass was short they might be seen on 50% of jeep safaris. When I arrived I was told that if doing safaris for a week you might expect two sightings, and apparently two pigmy hogs had been seen the week before from a jeep. On the other hand, given the way my guide didn't seem to know the difference between a pigmy hog and a small wild pig, I don't know how reliable any of this information is! I was also told they are sometimes seen from the elephant rides (which later became that one was seen “a long time ago”).

BIRDS:

535) White-browed wagtail Motacilla maderaspatensis
536) Finn's weaver Ploceus megarhynchus
537) Blue (Indian) peafowl Pavo cristatus
538) Bengal florican Houbaropsis bengalensis
539) Grey-winged blackbird Turdus boulboul
540) Black-throated thrush Turdus atrogularis

MAMMALS:

79) House mouse Mus musculus (in the town of Kharupetia en route to Manas)
80) Golden langur Trachypithecus geei
81) Gaur Bos gaurus

The photos below are a record shot of gaur (and yes the grass is that high!), record shot of a Bengal florican (and peafowl), and an elephant across the border in Bhutan. In that country the elephants disguise themselves as bushes in order to sneak up on tourists and kill them. Tricky devils they are!

Attachments

• IMG_7990.jpg
    IMG_7990.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7582.JPG
    IMG_7582.JPG
    277.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7655.jpg
    IMG_7655.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 75
I have always pronouced gaur to rhyme with sour, probably due to Willard Price's Tiger Adventure in which he wrote something along the lines of “the name rhymes with sour and with power, two words which describe the animal perfectly”!

Now that's a blast from the past. I used to love the Willard Price books and blame them in part for my love of travelling/wildlife.

Nice one Chlidonias...looking like I'll be in Kolkata over easter now so a trip to Manas for the Florican sounds...sensible!

Cheers
McM

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back