• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Choosing a Compact Spotting Scope (2 Viewers)

I've never owned a scope but wanted one that I could use for observing waterfowl and shorebirds from the side of the road but also one that I could take on my bicycle and deeper into the woods/up mountains on foot. The top of my budget is about $750 USD and it is a large purchase for me so I really want a scope with a no-fault warranty. I live in Canada so the only manufacturers I could find with that kind of warranty available to Canadians are Vortex, Athlon, and Maven.

I was looking at the Athlon Cronus 50mm, the Vortex Razor 50mm, the Athlon Ares G2 65mm, the Vortex Viper 65mm, and the Maven CS.1 65mm.

I like the look of the Cronus but my concern was the smaller eye relief it has as my wife and I both wear glasses. Does anybody know if the I relief on that scope (15mm to 18mm) could be an issue?

So basically, do you have any suggestions on choosing between those scopes for my application? Or any other suggestions?

A 65mm will weigh (and cost) significantly more than a 50mm. So the first thing to do is decide between the two sizes.

A 65mm will weigh (and cost) significantly more than a 50mm. So the first thing to do is decide between the two sizes.
Yeah, I guess I'm not sure on that. It's my first scope and I've never used one so I'm not sure how much of a compromise it is to go with the 50mm and less magnification. I've heard that magnification over a certain amount isn't of much use due to vibration and atmospheric disturbance.

Yeah, I guess I'm not sure on that. It's my first scope and I've never used one so I'm not sure how much of a compromise it is to go with the 50mm and less magnification. I've heard that magnification over a certain amount isn't of much use due to vibration and atmospheric disturbance.
A 65mm will definitely be an improvement as far as useable magnification goes. But it will be heavier and cost more for the quality of glass. For example, the Vortex Razor 50mm has better glass and weighs less than half of the Vortex Viper 65mm, but it costs the same amount.

Hi,

cannot really comment on the specific scopes listed as I know none of them. Regarding aperture, you can observe your whole life with a good 65mm scope... 50mm examples on the other hand tend to be used as a lightweight option along with a larger scope.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back