• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Choosing lens for phonescoping (1 Viewer)

KrisP

Hi,

Am about to buy my first scope, an Opticron MM3 GA and am interested in phonescoping. I have an option of selecting a HR zoom lens or HDF zoom lens - the latter is another £70, when I'm already significantly over my budget. I just wanted some advice on whether its worth shelling out that extra amount. I really only want the photos for records of what I've seen, rather than amazing photos. Would the HR zoom lens give me enough for half-decent images for that purpose, do you think?

Thanks,

Kris

Hi,

Am about to buy my first scope, an Opticron MM3 GA and am interested in phonescoping. I have an option of selecting a HR zoom lens or HDF zoom lens - the latter is another £70, when I'm already significantly over my budget. I just wanted some advice on whether its worth shelling out that extra amount. I really only want the photos for records of what I've seen, rather than amazing photos. Would the HR zoom lens give me enough for half-decent images for that purpose, do you think?

Thanks,

Kris

Go for the HDF it will make all the difference and no matter what you think, you'll want good images or you will be dissapointed with poorer results. Have a look at Peter Gambys thread below ref the SDL ....that would be even better.

Last edited:
Go for the HDF it will make all the difference and no matter what you think, you'll want good images or you will be dissapointed with poorer results. Have a look at Peter Gambys thread below ref the SDL ....that would be even better.

Thanks for the advice, I managed to stretch the budget and have gone for the HDF.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back