• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Christmas Birding ID Help - UK (1 Viewer)

Des!

Hi

Whilst in Norfolk over Christmas managed to get out - but saw some birds not 100% on ID.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Unfortunately pic aren't as clear as hoped, but hopefully it'll give people a rough idea.

Pics 1 & 2 - Harrier?

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5 - Scaup? (Similar to 4 but band not as white or big?)

Cheers!

Des

Attachments

• DSC_0106.jpg
    DSC_0106.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC_0107a.jpg
    DSC_0107a.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC_0130a.jpg
    DSC_0130a.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC_0256.jpg
    DSC_0256.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC_0264.jpg
    DSC_0264.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 140
Hi Des!

Pics 1 and 2 - Common Buzzard
Pic 3 - female Stonechat
Pic 4 - female Pochard
Pic 5 - female Scaup

cheers
Gordon

I think the bird in the first two pictures is a ringtail Hen Harrier.

Just to elaborate, it looks rather small headed in the first picture. The underparts look streaked (not easy to tell I know) and I think the pale shoulder is also good for Hen Harrier.

Last edited:
Andrew - on closer inspection I think you could be right!
When I zoom in on pic 2 I can "see" a "harrier" face but does the bird not have a heavier looking build than a harrier? I was also influenced (pre-zooming-in) by the large white covert patches (more obvious than expect on ring-tail?)which I've been noticing on a lot of Common Buzzards around here recently.

cheers
Gordon

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back