• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Christmas ROBIN X Factor (1 Viewer)

deborah4

Just for fun, I thought it would be interesting to see just how many different interpretations of a Robin we could get together between us between now and Christmas Eve .... Anything goes, sketch, pastel, watercolour, oil, lino cut, collage, sculpture, photo image, cartoon etc : and in any style. Let's see how creative we are between us because Christmas Robin images are usually rather dull! Of course, to include both American Robin and European Robin.

The only 'rules' for this very non-competition, are that the finished piece has to be done from today's date onwards and not one that's already completed - so if you are using a photo, that also has to be one of your own that's taken from today's date onwards, if you want to just post a series of field sketches or base a painting on them, then those must be done from now onwards, and if you are posting a painting, you must not have already started it yet. And, you can post as many different Robins as you like, including more than one Robin in a composition.

(But no silly writing and absolutely no tinsel!;))

... now for my thinking hat ...

What a great idea Deborah :t:

Perhaps we should make it a monthly thing - on the 1st of each month choose one species and see what we can produce along that theme. o:)

I've been procrastinating about getting back into my sketching properly for 20+ years and this might just be the kick up the bum I need! :-O

Of course, to include both American Robin and European Robin.

In most of North America, the American Robin symbolizes spring, not Christmas, and seldom appears in Xmas iconography. In view of this, how about the Northern Cardinal instead for American contributors to the project? My impression is that cardinals aren’t quite as common on American Xmas cards as Robin Redbreast is on British, but they come fairly close.

Nice idea Deborah.

I'm sure a lot of peeps will get some free Xmas cards out of this one. ;)

And, yes, Gill! Why not! B :)

Certainly inspired me to have a go.

Be warned when the image pops up. It is VERY personal!

You might want to stand back from the screen when it does! ;)

ps Deborah, I did this after your post. Honest!

Attachments

• Rudzik Twarz 200dpi.jpg
    Rudzik Twarz 200dpi.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
In most of North America, the American Robin symbolizes spring, not Christmas, and seldom appears in Xmas iconography. In view of this, how about the Northern Cardinal instead for American contributors to the project? My impression is that cardinals aren’t quite as common on American Xmas cards as Robin Redbreast is on British, but they come fairly close.

Either is fine with me, and then of course there are chickadees. But I like the idea of doing an American robin because they're not quite as plentiful right now. Now a week ago, when they were gobbling down or crabapples, that was another story.

A great idea all around.

Here's a version of a Robin i just did for you....[from a photo i took months ago] so it doesn't count....;)

So just for fun....:cat:

ps...it was a very 'ragged' robin...falling apart in fact...heavy moult n all that...!

Attachments

• 076 - Copy - Copy - Copy.jpg
    076 - Copy - Copy - Copy.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 176
A great idea, Deborah. One's started proclaiming its territory outside my window the last few evenings; I'll try and nail him this week! Watch this space.

Russ

Found one.......

A very curious Robin who thought that he was going to get fed by hand.....but decided to wait under my car. 'Mike' has a photo of him 'actually in' the boot of my car.
a.jpg

Don't have a picture to contribute with, but I remember when I was a kid and moved to Hong Kong and my British friends made Christmas cards with Robins on... and I was so confused because to me they were not Christmas birds at all, Robins were something you saw in the spring.
(In Sweden, the Christmas bird no 1 is the Bullfinch! |=)| )

Love the pictures, I'll stop by here to check for more!

Despite the fact that there's nothing to remind Christmas in the background,
I thought I should post it because of Robin..
(from a recent illustration work)

Paschalis

Attachments

• Robin.jpg
    Robin.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 154
Who needs a bit of holly when the bird's this good. A wonderful portrayal of an every day bird. I need to check out more of your work, Paschalis.

Regards

Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back