• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cinclus schulzii Cabanis, 1882 etc versus Thraupis bonariensis schulzei Brodkorb, 1938 etc. (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Cinclus schulzii Cabanis, 1882 OD here
Herr Cabanis weist unter Vorlage einer Anzahl von Exemplaren noch ein Mal auf die reichen Sammlungen von Fritz Schulz aus dem nördlichen Argentinien hin und legt mehrere Arten aus diesen Collectionen den Anwesenden vor.
Dryocopus schulzii (Cabanis, 1883) OD here
Herr Cabanis charakterisirt kurz diese vier Arten und reiht denselben eine fünfte, neue an, welche von Fritz Schulz in Tucuman entdeckt worden ist.
Poecilotriccus sylvia schulzi (von Berlepsch, 1907) OD here
This new species is named after Mr. Albert Schulz, who in the same place rediscovered the famous Pipra opalizans
Paroaria cristala schulzei Brodkorb, 1937 OD here
I am pleased to name this lovely bird after the collector. (A. Schulze, number 1655)
Thraupis bonariensis schulzei Brodkorb, 1938 OD here
Study of further shipments of birds collected in the Chaco of Paraguay by Alberto Schulze reveals five more undescribed forms.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Rufous-throated Dipper Cinclus schulzii Cabanis, 1882
Black-bodied Woodpecker Dryocopus schulzi Cabanis, 1883
Slaty-headed Tody Flycatcher ssp. Poecilotriccus sylvia schulzi Berlepsch, 1907
Fritz (Federico) W. Schulz (<1850–1933) was a German zoologist who who collected in Argentina (1866–1933). He became a preparator at the Museum of Zoology, University of Cordoba, and collected n the mountains (1881) where he discovered several new species which Cabanis (q.v.) described. He drew up a list of bird species in Cordoba province with Stempelmann: Enumeración de las Aves de la Provincia de Córdoba (1887). He later became became curator at the museum (1896).

and

Red-crested Cardinal ssp. Paroaria coronata schulzei Brodkorb, 1937 NCR; NRM
Blue-and-yellow Tanager ssp. Thraupis bonariensis schulzei Brodkorb, 1938
Alberto Schulze (DNF) was a Paraguayan ornithologist and collector (1930–1941). Details of him are sparse and he is sometimes referred to as 'the mysterious Alberto Schulze'. He had a team of collectors who were only known by their surnames and the chronology and geographical spread of the labels on the specimens, always bearing his name, suggest he took the credit of his co-workers' efforts.

The Key to Scientific Names
Friedrich W. Schulz (d. 1933) German zoologist in Argentina 1866-1933 (Cinclus, Hylatomus).
and
Alberto Schulze (fl. 1941) Paraguayan collector (syn. Paroaria coronata, subsp. Pipraeidea bonariensis, subsp. Poecilotriccus sylvia).

If Friedrich, Fritz or Frederico has had a middle name with W. is unknown to me. When he was born is completely unexplored.
If Alberto Schulze was a Paraguayan is also unknown to me. Note that Berlepsch gave him a German name and his last name sounds German. So he was already 1907 in Paraguay. Completely wrong is the Eponym Dictionary of Birds with the assumption that Berlepsch named the bird for Fritz Schulz. There is some room to find his life dates as well.

Last edited:
Friedrich Wilhelm Schulz (in Spanish Frederico Schults) (1840-c. 1933) was brought from Berlin by Burmeister to the Museo Nacional in Buenos Aires in 1864. He moved to Cordoba in 1876. By 1895 he was widowed and still living in Cordoba. I can't confirm the 1933 death date.

Last edited:
In Die Ornithologen Mitteleuropas from Ludwig Gebhardt :
Schulz , Friedrich Wilhelm , † 21. 7. 1933 Cordoba ( Argentinien ). Nach seiner Ausbildung am Berl. Zool. Mus. wanderte er um 1866 nach Argentinien aus. Dort erhielt er bald eine Präparatorstelle und stieg zum Verwalter des Zool. Univ. - Mus. von Cordoba auf. Einen Namen machte er sich durch orn. Forschungen im Norden des Landes. Gute Beziehungen pflegte er zu J. Cabanis (s .d .) , der viele von ihm in den Prov. Cordoba und Tucuman gesammelte und nach Berl. gesandte Vögel besprach. Auf einer Urlaubsreise besuchte er die Jahresversammlung der DOG 1882 und gab biol. Einzelheiten zu Formen, die J. Cabanis bei dieser Gelegenheit Schulz behandelte. Zwei neue Arten aus der Ausbeute,...

Friedrich Wilhelm Schulz (in Spanish Frederico Schults) (1840-c. 1933) was brought from Berlin by Burmeister to the Museo Nacional in Buenos Aires in 1864. He moved to Cordoba in 1876. By 1895 he was widowed and still living in Cordoba. I can't confirm the 1933 death date.

In (the Spanish Magazine) Todo es Historia, No.431; dedicada a la impronta de los alemanes en la Argentina(Número especial), he is mentioned, as a Member of the National Academy of Sciences of Cordoba (in either 1876 or -79), though there as; "doctor Federico Schultz (preparador y custodio del gabinete de Zoologia" ... with a Picture/Photo on page 33 (here). Or see the attached excerpt below:

Todo es Historia, No.431, p.33.jpg

At least I assume it's him (not understanding Spanish, that is). :rolleyes:

Same Photo (and the same name/spelling) is found here (on p.27), also written the same way here (on p.48), or here (on p.74), and elsewhere (the "Frederico Schults" version is far less easy to find, at least for me). :unsure:

However, enjoy!

Björn

PS. I have no idea (more than what's been said in this thread, of course) regarding his years (neither on his Birth, nor his Death). Maybe this "genealog" page can be of som help (here)?

Last edited:
No news on Alberto Schulze? Note there was a Albert Schulze in Leibzig here an entomologist. And Alberto collected as well insects.

Found on him:

...Entwurf einer geplanten Veröffentlichung des 1944 verstorbenen Leipziger Entomologen Albert Schulze...

...and...

SCHULZ , WILHELM ALBERT . ( 1871 - ) 1901 . Biologische , zoogeographische und synonymische Notizen aus der Käferfauna des unteren Amazonenstroms . Berliner Ent . Zeitschr . , vol . 46 , pp . 321 – 338

...mentioned as well here.

If he ever was in Paraguay no idea. But note the e in Schulze missing. I assume the 1871 born Schulz is not the right one as I expect a 70 year old man collecting in Paragay is not very likely. Nevertheless the Albert Schulz died 1944 may a candidate. Maybe problems with the Nazis forced him to move to Paraguay?

Last edited:
Attached find him as Frederico Shulst in 1895 Argentine census with his daughter. Have seen 2-3 other spellings of the surname. Several facts in the family account seem at odds with scientific accounts from Argentina but his life dates seem ok.

P

Attachments

• Fred.JPG
    Fred.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 6
Regarding Alberto Schulze see also Schulze, Alberto, Aregua, Paraguay - Archivführer Deutsche Kolonialgeschichte He may have lived in Areguá - Wikipedia

But https://scholarsrepository.llu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1745&context=etd

Schulze apparently lived in Horqueta (Dept. Concepion),where he collected intermittently from December 1930 throughJuly 1938.

So there might be a connection to https://www.public-juling.de/passagierlisten/listen.php?nachname=Schu&submit_search=namen
Elisabeth Schulze aus Horqueta (Deutsch) ist am 18 Februar 1939 mit dem Schiff 'Cap Norte' von Bremen nach Buenos Aires, Argentinien gefahren

Eventually with child Ursula https://www.public-juling.de/passagierlisten/listen.php?ArchivIdent=AIII15-18.02.1939-2_S&pass=Schulze&ID=685303&ankunftshafen=Buenos Aires, Argentinien&lang=de

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back