• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CL Curio 7x21: protection for apparent metal (2 Viewers)

And this is not "so important" to me. Just a bit of improvement I've done during a rainy afternoon.

I also try to do improvements to my personal needs if I see a solution. Only, sometimes, the potential resale value is neglected. I think you have done a very good job.

I guess, you should have chosen a slightly different heading for this thread, though. Actually, not the protection for the apparent metal is the main purpose, rather the protection (of your hands) FROM the apparent metal. ;)

Actually, it eludes me how uncovered metal can still be used for binoculars. Anybody who uses them gets cold (or hot) fingers at times. But then, Swarovsky, like Leica, cater to a collectors' market that needs to be "milked" (or "fed" if one prefers).

Last edited:
This thread cracks me up. I prefer my binoculars naked, but if you want to dress them up, then more power to ya! Good on you for being ingenious - I enjoy modifying products so that they more perfectly suit my needs.
I particularly like the little window you cut out so that your badge could show through.

Personally, I would prefer to not have to feel "the need" to apply such modifications to a pair of Curio 7x21 binoculars, though the product still has some appeal to me.

Living in Arizona, I would likely leave the Curio 7x21 bins exactly as they are.

This thread cracks me up. I prefer my binoculars naked, but if you want to dress them up, then more power to ya! Good on you for being ingenious
Thanks.

I particularly like the little window you cut out so that your badge could show through.
This is not entirely cosmetic. Gaffer comes out easily and even after years, it is easy to remove traces of glue if some are still attached. But I was afraid for the badge paint hence the window.

The thread should have been titled "If I'd done my homework, I wouldn't have bought the CL Curio".
A possibly more accurate title would have been "My workaround for using the CL Curio in cold climates." Read further and you'll see he likes them quite a bit.

With so many comments of this sort though, it makes me wonder if all responses of this sort are made by people who would still own the binoculars they have if they had no coverings over the metal parts?

From the first moment I saw pictures of the new binocular I hoped they would eventually offer a covered version, and still do.

Last edited:
Hi,
For some reason, the designer of the CL Curio never used binoculars. Because he should now that apparent anodized metal is a bad idea when it's cold but it wears quickly.
As I put my compact binoculars in my pants pocket, I've noticed it after just a few days.

So I designed a pattern, printed it on some heavy paper (300g), cut it, stick some pieces of 3" gaffer on a cutting mat, used the pattern to cut them and transferred them to the Curio.
It looks better in real life than in the pictures and I do not care that much about my binoculars aesthetics.

That's a good idéa! I consider to get this binocular, and if so I will choose the black.
Then I would attach some kind of adhesive tape for more friction.

That's a good idéa! I consider to get this binocular, and if so I will choose the black.
Then I would attach some kind of adhesive tape for more friction.

On pocket knives and canes I sometimes use "Dragon Grips" tape for this purpose. It comes in sheets of various sizes and some smaller shapes so you could either cut sheets to entirely cover the exposed metal or apply pre cut narrow strips or hexagons to specific places where you want them.

In regular use down to 30 degrees F, I have not had any issues handling the Curio but would definitely recommend this tape as a possible solution if anyone is interested.

Mike

On pocket knives and canes I sometimes use "Dragon Grips" tape for this purpose. It comes in sheets of various sizes and some smaller shapes so you could either cut sheets to entirely cover the exposed metal or apply pre cut narrow strips or hexagons to specific places where you want them.

In regular use down to 30 degrees F, I have not had any issues handling the Curio but would definitely recommend this tape as a possible solution if anyone is interested.

Mike

Thanks for the tip! 👍

Hi,
For some reason, the designer of the CL Curio never used binoculars. Because he should now that apparent anodized metal is a bad idea when it's cold but it wears quickly.
As I put my compact binoculars in my pants pocket, I've noticed it after just a few days.

So I designed a pattern, printed it on some heavy paper (300g), cut it, stick some pieces of 3" gaffer on a cutting mat, used the pattern to cut them and transferred them to the Curio.
It looks better in real life than in the pictures and I do not care that much about my binoculars aesthetics.
Same goes for the cl 8x25. Smart thinking, I might dress my cl's to, I got some camo wrap tape that might also work.

Hello Dr. Gijs van Ginkel,
thank you very much for the really varied report. One comparative binoculars is missing: the Nikon HG-L 8x20 or 10x25, which is now inexpensive and probably somewhat forgotten - but very good.
Of course, the Nikon has "only" silver-mirrored prisms, the measured transmission will not be outstanding. One could judge contrast / "sharpness" in practical observation situations. ;-)
Best regards
Jessie

Jessie-66, post 34,
Thank you for the appreciation of our report. I admit that more compacts could have been added, but the problems are the following:
-1- Nikon binoculars are mostly sold by camera shops and these are disappearing rapidly in our country
-2- The binocular shops I know in The Netherlands, do not or scarcely offer Nikon binoculars for sale, that has to do with the sales policy of Nikon in our country. Really a pity, since Nikon makes excellent binoculars, but I have not seen one birder in the past decades who carries aa Nikon binocular .
Best regards,
Gijs

Now that I just got my Curio 7x21 Swarovski will probably offer a more field/cold weather friendly version of this excellent binocular so that people don't have to make up their own coverings. I'll still be keeping a couple of 8x20 Ultravids, one of which is a BR and perfect for sub-zero temps.
If you haven't experienced it, the difference between picking up steel and aluminum at -40 below is something you notice immediately. These binoculars are made of aluminum and would be a hassle to use with glove liners on.

Now that I just got my Curio 7x21 Swarovski will probably offer a more field/cold weather friendly version of this excellent binocular so that people don't have to make up their own coverings. I'll still be keeping a couple of 8x20 Ultravids, one of which is a BR and perfect for sub-zero temps.
If you haven't experienced it, the difference between picking up steel and aluminum at -40 below is something you notice immediately. These binoculars are made of aluminum and would be a hassle to use with glove liners on.
Agree on the -40F comment, though not being in AK, I haven't really glassed much beyond -30F. Sad truth is, however, I doubt Swaro will see fit to offer an armored version of the 7x21. We 7X fans are in such a small minority, it wouldn't surprise me if Swaro drops the Curio before too long!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back