• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CL Curio 7x21: protection for apparent metal (1 Viewer)

I'd like a smaller bag for the Curio. Has anyone found a good option?
This tiny Ultravid pouch is the best I've found for minimalists, like, people who actually buy 8x20 and 7x21 binoculars? How these companies can make such excellent binoculars, then drop the ball on accessories for customers looking for lack of bulk and user friendliness. The Ultravid strap is much more compact and comfortable too.
A909AA5E-6AF9-43E2-94B5-8F3BE93EAAB8.jpeg58A36007-F126-4350-91FE-30B1342A57FA.jpegB5D7AAD1-C132-45A4-8628-1C6EE97A2C52.jpeg

Last edited:
I've improved the protection by using a thinner black film and cutting it with a laser.
Well done! It looks factory made. I understand your thinking in protecting the steel. I have a Leica UV 10x25 in black leatherette version and i was thinking the other day to put some rubber on the end of the objective tubes when hiking. I damaged it already a bit, nothing serious but could be worse.

Yes in German it's gummiarmierung (GA), so with rubber armoring.
I'm really happy with the design of the 7x21, and actually hadn't been paying attention because I didn't realize the tubes were covered. They feel great right now in my hand, but the covering you're talking about could make them perfect, and it's not like they need to be fully armoured, but at least across the top of the three bare surfaces, to separate fingers from bare aluminum.

I'm really happy with the design of the 7x21, and actually hadn't been paying attention because I didn't realize the tubes were covered. They feel great right now in my hand, but the covering you're talking about could make them perfect, and it's not like they need to be fully armoured, but at least across the top of the three bare surfaces, to separate fingers from bare aluminum.
Yes it depends on where you live and where you use it for, but for me the tougher the better. Though i really like the leatherette versions, like my 10x25 UV. But for hiking and clumsy people like me a rubber armored version is better ;)

How is the focus comparing with the Leica's?

How is the focus comparing with the Leica's?
Just getting ready to post on that in another thread. The focus is much lighter, but I'm not sure that I like one better than the other, except for the 2.3 turns for the 7x21, vs 1.75 for the Leica.
A bit disconcerting having to turn so far a couple of times now just to get into focus, but I'm sure I'll adapt.

Just getting ready to post on that in another thread. The focus is much lighter, but I'm not sure that I like one better than the other, except for the 2.3 turns for the 7x21, vs 1.75 for the Leica.
A bit disconcerting having to turn so far a couple of times now just to get into focus, but I'm sure I'll adapt.
You will adapt to it. I really like the 7x21 concept. I want to downgrade my collection but i just keep buying :( Enjoy the Curio in good health!

You will adapt to it. I really like the 7x21 concept. I want to downgrade my collection but i just keep buying :( Enjoy the Curio in good health!
Selling off is what I'll be doing next, as I'm not of a collector mindset so much as obsessive about finding what I like by buying many options, then thinning them out once I've made my choices. It looks like the 8x20 BL and 7x21 Curio will definitely not be going anywhere once I have made the cuts, and I might even keep one or two big binoculars!

Im not a collector myself (yet :)) as i really use al of the (less than 10) binoculars i have. But i believe in redundancy and have 2 houses. To carry a bunch of bino's in hand luggage is inconvenient. But after a nice 10x3x, 8x56, 12x50 and maybe another 15x60 i think i will stop. Ah and maybe this wonderful 7x21....

I'd like a smaller bag for the Curio. Has anyone found a good option?
At some point, I made a comparison of different bags. I was looking for something significantly smaller than the Swarovski bag with a belt loop. I got a few from Amazon to try.

From left to right:
  • original Swarovski bag
  • MegaGear Leather Camera Case (in two different configurations)
  • Cullmann Berlin RS Compact 350
  • Crumpler Triple A Camera Pouch 100
  • Lowepro Dashpoint 10
  • Curio 7x21

All of these bags are much smaller and tighter than the Swarovski. Some were a bit too tight. I ended up keeping:
  • Crumbler and Lowepro for outdoor use. They offer good protection from the elements. The Lowepro has the additional advantage of having two velcro loops on the back, one for a belt and one for a backpack strap. It stays permanently attached to my backpack's waist belt.
  • MegaGear (with the opening on the top) just because it is the smallest, looks stylish, and has a magnetic flap. But it is very tight to the point that it is a bit fiddly to get the bino out and it is not waterproof in any way. More for the opera ;-)

I wish some of these bags had a few millimeters of extra space, so it is easier to get the bino in and out. It would also be nice to have a bag where you do not have to fold the bino and adjust it every time you get it out.

Happy to give more details/photos if anyone is interested.

Swarovski_Curio_Bags.jpeg

At some point, I made a comparison of different bags. I was looking for something significantly smaller than the Swarovski bag with a belt loop. I got a few from Amazon to try.

From left to right:
  • original Swarovski bag
  • MegaGear Leather Camera Case (in two different configurations)
  • Cullmann Berlin RS Compact 350
  • Crumpler Triple A Camera Pouch 100
  • Lowepro Dashpoint 10
  • Curio 7x21

All of these bags are much smaller and tighter than the Swarovski. Some were a bit too tight. I ended up keeping:
  • Crumbler and Lowepro for outdoor use. They offer good protection from the elements. The Lowepro has the additional advantage of having two velcro loops on the back, one for a belt and one for a backpack strap. It stays permanently attached to my backpack's waist belt.
  • MegaGear (with the opening on the top) just because it is the smallest, looks stylish, and has a magnetic flap. But it is very tight to the point that it is a bit fiddly to get the bino out and it is not waterproof in any way. More for the opera ;-)

I wish some of these bags had a few millimeters of extra space, so it is easier to get the bino in and out. It would also be nice to have a bag where you do not have to fold the bino and adjust it every time you get it out.

Happy to give more details/photos if anyone is interested.

View attachment 1468414
I wish the Curio 7x21 came with a case more like either one of the MegaGear examples you've got here. When I opened the box I just couldn't believe how huge the included case was. How do you like the quality level of the MegeGear cases?

That Lowepro looks absolutely perfect for attaching to a backpack for quick retrieval.

...i believe in redundancy and have 2 houses. To carry a bunch of bino's in hand luggage is inconvenient. But after a nice 10x3x, 8x56, 12x50 and maybe another 15x60 i think i will stop. Ah and maybe this wonderful 7x21....
The 7x21 is a wonderful binocular, and despite its cost and a couple of issues, one that I can't imagine anyone with a Greek sounding user name not having.

Any binocular you have for the sake of convenience cannot be considered redundant and I'll be keeping at least 2 or 3 specifically for those purposes myself.

How do you like the quality level of the MegeGear cases?

That Lowepro looks absolutely perfect for attaching to a backpack for quick retrieval.
The quality of the MegaGear is good. Not sure how long it will last, its edges and seams. But looks great for its price (EUR 22).
The belt loop is nice and wide but only allows for a thin belt, not a backpack's waist belt.
The size is perfect if you just want to store the bino. As you might be able to see, it is a bit hard to get out. The Lowepro in contrast has some space left and right to grab the Curio.

IMG_8813 Large.jpeg

This is what the Lowepro looks like with its two belt options.

IMG_8809 Large.jpegIMG_8810 Large.jpeg

The 7x21 is a wonderful binocular, and despite its cost and a couple of issues, one that I can't imagine anyone with a Greek sounding user name not having.
The name Thotmosis is of an Egyptian farao, i inherited a small statue of him and though it's a nice name for birdforum :unsure:
Any binocular you have for the sake of convenience cannot be considered redundant and I'll be keeping at least 2 or 3 specifically for those purposes myself.
Smart choice, will do likewise.

Last edited:
The quality of the MegaGear is good. Not sure how long it will last, its edges and seams. But looks great for its price (EUR 22).
The belt loop is nice and wide but only allows for a thin belt, not a backpack's waist belt.
The size is perfect if you just want to store the bino. As you might be able to see, it is a bit hard to get out. The Lowepro in contrast has some space left and right to grab the Curio.

View attachment 1468445

This is what the Lowepro looks like with its two belt options.

View attachment 1468441View attachment 1468442
I like this Lowepro but wonder if the zipper can reach/contact/damage the lenses?

The name Thotmosis is of an Egyptian farao, i inherited a small statue of him and though it's a nice name for birdforum
Yes, we say Thutmose in English (or something like that, people are employed to keep changing such spellings). After Thoth the god of wisdom, among other things. The Bronze Age was fascinating, and we may be returning to something like it. (I recommend the book 1177 BC.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back