• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Clarence B. Riker (1 Viewer)

Hemipenes14

I have a box of neotropical bird skins that was collected and prepared by Clarence B, Riker in the Brazilian Amazon, circa the 1880's. These birds, which have Riker's tags on their feet form the basis of the paper on the Birds of Santarem, which Riker co-authored with Frank M. Chapman, in the Auk.published in 1890. I understand that some of these birds are part of the Smithsonian collection.

Does anyone have information about Riker in the Amazon and the story that he was a friend and neighbor of Theodore Roosevelt, when TR lived in Maplewood, NJ?

Hi Hemipenes14,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin. Glad to have you on board :t:

I have moved your post to a forum where more people will see it.

I have a box of neotropical bird skins that was collected and prepared by Clarence B, Riker in the Brazilian Amazon, circa the 1880's. These birds, which have Riker's tags on their feet form the basis of the paper on the Birds of Santarem, which Riker co-authored with Frank M. Chapman, in the Auk.published in 1890. I understand that some of these birds are part of the Smithsonian collection.

Does anyone have information about Riker in the Amazon and the story that he was a friend and neighbor of Theodore Roosevelt, when TR lived in Maplewood, NJ?
I am the great grandson of Clarence B. Riker. Clarence was a member of the Explorer's Club along with Teddy Roosevelt. He had an early business association with the Booth Steamship Line which operated on Brazil's Amazon River. In 1887 he spent his honeymoon at the headwaters of the Amazon in the environs of Santarem. He and my great grandmother made many trips to the region which resulted in the discovery and collection of 22 new species of birds and an new genera. This collection is part of the official exhibit at the Smithsonian Institute. As a result of these explorations he was made a life member of the Explorer's Club. I found this thread while doing some research on Clarence. I am not a member of the BirdForum (yet).

Hi eagleSA and a warm welcome from all the Staff and Moderators.

Thanks for the information on your great grandfather - he sounds quite a man.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

I am not a member of the BirdForum (yet).
You are now LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back