• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cleaning marks (1 Viewer)

justabirdwatcher

I have a pair of well-worn Monarch 7 8x30's that are in otherwise great shape, but the objective lenses have large cleaning marks on them. I bought them used and the seller did not disclose this, but I also only paid $100 for them so I'm not too upset over it.

I would like to know if there is any point in trying to have the binoculars repaired. I suppose (but don't know for sure) that Nikon would have to replace the lenses?

I sent the pair of binoculars to Nikon and just got them back. I had identified in the repair request that the objective lenses were damaged/scratched, and they cleaned, lubed and adjusted the pair and returned them to me free of charge, but they did not address the lenses with the cleaning marks. Again, I can't fault them because I'm not the original owner and cleaning marks are not really covered under the warranty.

So what is a person to do in this case? They work okay (function like a brand new pair) but the cleaning marks are so severe that I am certain they are affecting the image quality. I'll try to post a photo later to give you a look at the problem.

I have a pair of well-worn Monarch 7 8x30's that are in otherwise great shape, but the objective lenses have large cleaning marks on them. I bought them used and the seller did not disclose this, but I also only paid $100 for them so I'm not too upset over it.

I would like to know if there is any point in trying to have the binoculars repaired. I suppose (but don't know for sure) that Nikon would have to replace the lenses?

I sent the pair of binoculars to Nikon and just got them back. I had identified in the repair request that the objective lenses were damaged/scratched, and they cleaned, lubed and adjusted the pair and returned them to me free of charge, but they did not address the lenses with the cleaning marks. Again, I can't fault them because I'm not the original owner and cleaning marks are not really covered under the warranty.

So what is a person to do in this case? They work okay (function like a brand new pair) but the cleaning marks are so severe that I am certain they are affecting the image quality. I'll try to post a photo later to give you a look at the problem.

I'd suggest doing nothing.
Bill Cook, (WJC on this forum) has probably repaired more binoculars than you and I together have ever seen in our lifetimes.
IIrc, his technique for reassuring customers concerned about marks on their binocular objective lenses was to stealthily put a cut up Post-it on one of the lenses and have the customer look through the glass. Nobody could tell that there was a big blob on one of the lenses until he showed it to them.
The message is that the objective lenses are not that sensitive. Just enjoy the bargain you got.

Yea, it's the stray light creating glare I'm most concerned about. I've been a photographer since the "film days" and remember scratches (sometimes big ones) being "reparied" with black ink, so I'm not so worried about the cleaning marks on the image quality other than the glare. From what it seemed the contrast just wasn't quite up to snuff in brighter lighting conditions.

I still feel I got a bargain though. Even if for nothing more than a good pair of glove box or windowsill binoculars.

Hi,

just use the bins in the car or as a loaner... Nikon didn't replace the lenses on warranty as is their right - for everybody else fixing this would be very expensive as the old coatings would have to be carefully polished off (without changing the curve, preferably) and then new multicoatings would have to be applied in a vacuum chamber. Expect a four digit bill..

Or you would have to find a broken example with good objective lenses and have somebody transplant those... also probably a few times more expensive than what you paid.

As for the M7 8x30 having certain problems with glare and stray light... that is not necessarily due to cleaning marks on your example... it's one of the few faults of that model... and using lens hoods will help.

Joachim

Nikon is not alone as far as replacing lenses due to user scratches, etc. All binocular companies
will charge for scratches on lenses. That includes Swarovski, I have experience where they replaced
a lens for me on an SLC.
I would just go ahead and use the binocular, it will do the job well for you, so just try to ignore the issue.

Jerry

If you like the M7 8X30, (but not your sample) I am sure you can get another one used in better shape. There are many out there.

Andy W.

I called the service center and they said to send them back and specifically request the lenses be replaced. They said they would do it at no cost. I guess we'll find out whether that's true. I'll post back here whether it is.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back