• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Co. Mayo (1 Viewer)

oceancol

Anyone active in Co. Mayo?

We have Wheatears, Meadow Pipits, pied and grey wagtails in our garden at present. We are in the Louisburgh area.
Also Corncrakes are in the near vicinity and can be heard most late evenings and through the night.
There were many Gannets around in May but seem to have disappeared of late. No mackerel being caught so perhaps that's the reason?

I can tell you as someone who goes to Mayo a bit, there was Buzzard breeding near Charlestown last year.

very interesting. I'm from Ballaghaderreen which is quite near Charlestown. There are one or two spots around Ballagh which could potentially hold Buzzard as well

Buzzards seem to be doing well, yet I feel they are not making the strides in the west as in Donegal.

A few of us looked in regularly on a pair of breeding Whinchats not too far from Ballaghaderreen last year (Ballinagare).

In the past couple of years Roscommon has had confirmed or credible reports of whinchat, little egret, green sandpiper, osprey, snowy owl.

Mícheál

very interesting. I'm from Ballaghaderreen which is quite near Charlestown. There are one or two spots around Ballagh which could potentially hold Buzzard as well

We are back in Mayo again!! The Wheatears are here again as are the Pied Wagtails, Meadow Pipits, Skylarks and Stonechats.
We arrived very early last Thursday morning well before dawn and were amazed at the chorus that greeted us.
Not much activity over the sea at present but rumour has it there are Mackerel around Clare Island so hopefully we may see Gannets diving soon.

Information request Snowy Owl Blacksod

Hi,

I'm thinking of coming to visit the area to look for the female snowy owl that has wintered there for the previous few years. Can anyone give me any info as to where the best place to watch is, when the owl stays until etc. I know it arrived in August, does it stay the whole winter? I see that Termon Hill seems to be a good place for sightings.

Cheers

Rob

Snowy Owl Blacksod

Hi Rob

If you are thinking of coming over for the owl then I would move quickly - in previous years she has stayed faithful to the area south of the standing stones on Tarmon Hill (between Blacksod and Fallmore at the southern tip of the Mullet peninsula) from beginning of August through until mid-October. This is the period that she undergoes her moult. After mid-Ocotber she is only seen very occasionally - often not again until late winter/early spring. She was still present a few days ago - this being the last time I looked for her

Cheers
Sudds

Thanks Sudds. I was thinking of coming in November, so looks like you've saved me a wasted trip. Cheers for the info, if she returns next year I'll be there :)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back