• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coal Tits disappeared (1 Viewer)

Arrandale

United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm a novice when it comes to birds but as have many people during the last year, paid more attention to what is happening in my local surroundings.

I have recently had some coal tits nesting in a gap in the mortar in my garden wall, fronting the road. They were very active for the last 6 weeks constantly flitting between my bird stand and back to the nest now suddenly they are nowhere to be seen.

As they have nested on the road which is well trafficked with cats and dogs, do I resign myself to thinking they have been killed or forced out by a larger bird, or as any potential brood may have hatched could they have fled the nest for somewhere else?

I'm really not familiar with behaviour yet and grateful for some insight.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

Quite a few of our garden birds seem to have disappeared too. We had seven blue tits fledge last week and there was no sign of any blue tits until today when I saw two. Our dunnocks and robins have vanished too.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

Quite a few of our garden birds seem to have disappeared too. We had seven blue tits fledge last week and there was no sign of any blue tits until today when I saw two. Our dunnocks and robins have vanished too.
Let us hope that is the case.

I've also got the same scenario with the blue tits although I am still seeing them at the bird stand regularly, just very quiet in the nest box.

The blue tits nest in the back garden and I have my bird stand in the front garden(I make them work for their food!), it's nice to hear them flutter overhead as they go back and forth whilst I'm working at the side of the house.

Hi Arrandale and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

My Coal Tits always disappear at this time of year. I don't think they nest in my garden.

They usually go away in early May and don't return until about July. But unusually, last week, I saw one at my window feeder, then again another today.

Sadly I don't think my Blue Tits have managed to rear any youngsters this year as they usually bring them in to the feeders. Such a shame.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Don't forget that with the warmer weather, there is more natural food out there for the birds so they spend less time at the feeders eating seed when they can feast on insects ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back