• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Coal tits mating? (1 Viewer)

PaulCountyDurham

United Kingdom
During my lunch break, on the way back to my car, I saw these feathers sticking up out of the grass. At first I thought it was one dead bird. So, not wanting to disturb and get too close I tried to work out what this was from where I first observed it. 'To my surprise, two coal tits flew up out of that same spot and they flew a little bit very close to one another and pretty aggressive. They then proceeded to roll around on the floor together in the middle of the road and they very nearly got ran over by a Royal Mail van to the point where I wasn't sure whether or not the van would squash them but fortunately when the van went past and I had another view of them they were both still in action. They were completely oblivious to the van and everything else going on around them. These two little birds were very aggressive and pretty much intertwined. My guess is they were mating, but my question is: is it too early for them?

Jay C

United Kingdom
Doesn't sound like mating behaviour to me, that's unlikely to be so aggressive. Probably rivals fighting over territories in preparation for breeding.

Users who are viewing this thread