• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coastal Kenya April 2013 (1 Viewer)

Robert L Jarvis

Robert L Jarvis
I spent about an hour this morning tyoing out my trip report and bird list and when I pressed the Submit button, I found that I had been logged out and despite all efforts my work could not be retrieved. No doubt this has happened to others but non the less it is somewhat galling.

I am unwilling to redo the report at this time but will give a quick summary

My wife and I had a great fortnight in Watamu, birding and chilling out in between bird trips. We stayed at the excellent Turtle Bay Beach Resort which we found to be a great centre from which to bird. We hired Jonathan Baya to guide us and found him to be excellent and can heartily recommend him to anyone contemplating a birding trip there. He has his own transport, a minibus with pop up roof which is very useful especially of course in game parks. We were joined by his son Stephen and on two trips David Ngala, who not only is great birder but very good company.

Although we dipped on some birds such as Malindi Pipit and Ground Hornbill this was compensated by the other birds we connected with. Our main targets Sokoke Scops Owl, Clark's Weaver and especially Crab Plover (saves me a trip to Arabia, thank goodness) were seen well.

We visited Arabuko-Sokoke Forest, Roka Pools, Mida Creek, Turtle Bay Village, Tsavo East for a 2 day safari and Dakatcha Woodland. The safari was a tremendous experience not just for the birds but seeing the wild animals in their natural surroundings without bars, glass or fences was so gripping.

Overall we did fairly well recording 190 species many of which naturally are lifers and our thanks go to Jonathan, Stephen and David.

I will be putting some photos and video on my website shortly.

Robert

several of us were also at the coast at that time , dorve sown from Nairobi thru Tsavo East to Watamu . Stayed at Arocha centre and had the privilege of seeing the Clarke's Weavers nests one day after they were discovered for the firs time in 100 years . Lifers also included Pygmy Goose , Retz's Helmetshrike and more !

we hada great time

Mike D in Nairobi

I spent about an hour this morning tyoing out my trip report and bird list and when I pressed the Submit button, I found that I had been logged out and despite all efforts my work could not be retrieved. No doubt this has happened to others but non the less it is somewhat galling.

I am unwilling to redo the report at this time but will give a quick summary

My wife and I had a great fortnight in Watamu, birding and chilling out in between bird trips. We stayed at the excellent Turtle Bay Beach Resort which we found to be a great centre from which to bird. We hired Jonathan Baya to guide us and found him to be excellent and can heartily recommend him to anyone contemplating a birding trip there. He has his own transport, a minibus with pop up roof which is very useful especially of course in game parks. We were joined by his son Stephen and on two trips David Ngala, who not only is great birder but very good company.

Although we dipped on some birds such as Malindi Pipit and Ground Hornbill this was compensated by the other birds we connected with. Our main targets Sokoke Scops Owl, Clark's Weaver and especially Crab Plover (saves me a trip to Arabia, thank goodness) were seen well.

We visited Arabuko-Sokoke Forest, Roka Pools, Mida Creek, Turtle Bay Village, Tsavo East for a 2 day safari and Dakatcha Woodland. The safari was a tremendous experience not just for the birds but seeing the wild animals in their natural surroundings without bars, glass or fences was so gripping.

Overall we did fairly well recording 190 species many of which naturally are lifers and our thanks go to Jonathan, Stephen and David.

I will be putting some photos and video on my website shortly.

Robert

Just returned from our second visit to Turtle Bay ,Watamu, where we again hired Jonathan Baya for our trips. We did a 2 night safari to Tsavo staying at Ashnil Aruba lodge and at Ngutuni lodge - both were excellent.
A visit to Arubuko-Sokoke picked up Amani sunbird , both helmet-shrikes and Clarke's weaver but missed the pipit again !
Lake Jilore had african pygmy goose and 2 lesser jacana.
Lots of other good stuff too on the safari - 2 coursers, ground hornbills, secretary birds etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back