• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cole Valley (1 Viewer)

27-09-14 7:00 River Cole Valley from Trittiford to the ford just past Sarehole.
A good run with plenty of bird song along the picturesque R. Cole. It was quite dark when I set out, I heard the kingfisher after the ford and it flew off back up the river, along with a heron. I then saw it's shadow on the water as it took off from a perch. I then saw it flying back up the river and high up and over to avoid me standing on the river bank. As I then ran back up the river, I clearly saw it flying off from a river perch with it's distinctive blue colour shining out from the dull background. Back at Trittiford pool I was surprised to see the heron in amongst the feeding geese and swans.

10-10-14 15:30 River Cole Valley from Trittiford to the ford just past Sarehole.
An extra run and visit today, I saw a heron, grey wagtail, crow and of course a kingfisher!!! On the River Cole. Great!!

11-10-14 7:00 River Cole Valley - Sarehole mill
Early morning run at 7:00, there was the first sign of light and the river was dark. I was lucky and picked the right river spot. I heard the kingfisher calling as it flew towards me, with it's call getting louder. It passed me in the darkness, with a loud call. I thought it had flown far up the river, but I could here it calling just around the next bend. Then at 7:20 with enough light I saw it fly off from it's perch down the river. There was a heron also present and that took flight as well.

12-10-14 7:00 River Cole Valley - Sarehole mill
Early morning run again. The bird call was very loud mainly BBs and Robins. I could hear the kingfisher calling in the same spot as yesterday, very loud as well. I guess due to the river valley and tree canopy. I stood on the bank and waited for it to fly past on the river, only for it to fly through the trees behind me. It gave a call as it went past. I then ran down the river in the same direction and could just see it in the darkness as it flew back up the river. It gave the two tone call.

19-10-14 12:00 River Cole Valley - Sarehole mill
A quick run along the Cole, as I came back I heard the Kingfisher calling. It was on the same section as a Heron and Grey Wagtail. I had a closer look for it on the bank and as it came back it flew up and over me. Then when it came back again I saw it fly past!! Great!!

25-10-14 7:00 River Cole Valley - Sarehole mill
The kingfisher was late!! (Compared to previous weeks). First I saw 2 Grey Wagtails, a moorhen perched high in a tree, then the heron appeared. A fish jumped out of the water. Then just as I turned to give up, I heard the two tone call of the kingfisher as it came from down the river and went past me calling into the distance. I gave chase into JMJ Walkway and saw it do a stunning hovering u turn and fly back down the river.
Unfortunately this great KF perch tree further down the river has fallen down into the river from the high winds and weakened roots in the river;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/14087905403/
A correction to last week - I now realise these two kingfisher were an adult female and juvenile. Possibly mother and son. Hence the noise from the adult to see off the juvenile.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/15573638345/in/photostream/

Last edited:
08-11-14 07:00 River Cole Valley - Trittiford to Sparkhill.
I was looking for the KF in the dark at 7.00 - well the dark early morning!! The Cole was higher and darker than normal due to the rain - and I thought the KF won't be here. My instinct had made me look further down the river towards SH based on my last sighting and the timing. Then out of the darkness, right next to me, came a loud, sharp and shrill 'teee-chiii'. Yes found the kingfisher!! I looked closer and another really loud 'teee-chiii' right in front of me. Great!!
The rest of my run was pretty eventful as well, blackbirds, robins, tits and wrens everywhere. A grey wagtail that didn't mind me getting close and seemed to be with me for a several hundred metres. Or it might have been two. A heron under the bridge at SH. Then I could see some blackbirds and thrushes just in the distance on the path but my eyes were distracted by a flash of white on a birds wing and I thought it's a finch and to my delight it was a male bullfinch!! Great morning!!

Last edited:
15-11-14 07:00 River Cole Valley - Sarehole
I found the kingfisher at the usual spot except it was sat overlooking the path and flew off calling out really loud along the river. I then found it fishing along the river. It was very vocal. I could hear it calling every few minutes. When I got my newspaper I could hear it (or another?) calling on the mill pond lake as it fished. Great!!

16-11-14 07:00 River Cole Valley - Sarehole
Kingfisher at the usual spot on the River Cole with a heron and a couple mallards. I could hear the kingfisher calling amongst the other bird dawn chorus on the river, as I waited at Sarehole mill, approx 150 metres away. Then the kingfisher joined me to fish on the mill pond. I got a photo of a female KF on the pond, not sure if there's also a male KF present.

29-11-14 07:15 River Cole Valley - Sarehole
After last weeks no show (OK I missed it) I completed a run up to Stratford Rd (Heron and Mallards present) and back along the Cole, and then could hear the shrill single call coming towards me and then the Kingfisher went past!! Great!! Plenty of BBs, Robins, Wrens, Crows and Magpies calling.

Last edited:
30-11-14 08:30 River Cole Valley - Small Heath - A45 - KFCP.
I spoke to a fisherman on the Digbeth Branch Canal and he said he saw a kingfisher on the Cole at Small Heath, KFCP last Tuesday. I took a look myself this morning and from the A45 bridge I could hear a number of sparrows feeding in the hedges and trees. I could just make out another call in amongst their calls and then a kingfisher flew from the same tree down the river. Great!! (I have seen a kingfisher on the same bend before)

Little egret sitting in a tree between Stratford Road and the first set of stepping stones on the River Cole about 11.00am this morning it then flew downstream. Saw kingfisher briefly by Sarehole.

06-12-14 08:00 River Cole - Yardley Green - Kingfisher Country Park
I walked from the A45 along the Kingfisher Country Park, R. Cole looking for the KF. I came to a perfect slow bend and said to myself that's ideal for a kingfisher and bingo!! A Kingfisher sat in a tree over the river. Great!! Two heron also present, one of which looked like it had stood in the river all night long and had not yet woken/warmed up.

13-12-14 09:00 River Cole - Small Heath/Yardley Green - Kingfisher Country Park.
A grey wagtail and up to 20 crows hanging around and feeding on the Cole. I thought I wouldn't see a KF after also not seeing one on the Rea, Digbeth. But then heading back towards the A45 in the murky light shaded from the rising sun I could just make out a kingfisher on a perch over the Cole. Great!! Also tits and a chaffinch feeding.

Last edited:
Great to here it's still there Mickbe!! I saw it a few times in 2014 and have now found another one at the other end by the A45.

Apparently a pair bred this year and were joined by another pair later in the year, I havn't seen them myself but a couple of my mates have,including a pair on garden feeders adjoining the woods.

A Little Egret along the Cole at various points between the Four Arches bridge and Highfield Road.

Des.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back