• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collared Doves (1 Viewer)

Stranger

Last year I noticed a pair of Collared Doves nesting in the canopy of the Goods inwards Dept where I work,they reared two seperate chicks .
This year I kept a closer watch and noticed they started nest building in February.So far they have had five broods,four of one chick and one of two.
They appear to be brooding again.
It seems they kick the chick out,it hangs around for a few days with the parents feeding it,then it disappears and the parents start on another brood.
Is it usual for Collared Doves to have this many broods or has it been an exceptional year?

They will breed as and when the mood takes em! no set breeding pattern as with other birds. Only this morning in our garden 2 males in hot pursuit of females, its fun to watch the way he bows to her, as he continues his chase, poor lad got the cold shoulder.

I seem to remember reading they can more or less breed year round, if the weather is mild enough. Would explain your early February start. No wonder they're doing so well.

Mary Evelyn said:
They are highly, sexual birds..............to be polite. ;)
Hi Mary,Florall and Pauco
Thanks for the replies.
No wonder it did`nt take them long to colonise!
I shall keep watching to see how many chicks they rear this year.

We have had 8 young in today and they had a really good feed. :bounce: All well and feeding themselves.No sign of their parents.
Fast learners too.

Collared Dove seems to be a bit of a Martini bird - "any time, any place, anywhere" - they will breed all year round, a ringing friend had a favourite pair where he was able to ring chicks at 3:00am on a New Years morning!!

Have also seen a pair raise 4 broods in a nest built behind a Sky TV satellite dish.

Perhaps they will soon overtake rabbits in the prolific breeding league table.

Corvus Corax said:
Collared Dove seems to be a bit of a Martini bird - "any time, any place, anywhere" - they will breed all year round, a ringing friend had a favourite pair where he was able to ring chicks at 3:00am on a New Years morning!!

Have also seen a pair raise 4 broods in a nest built behind a Sky TV satellite dish.

Perhaps they will soon overtake rabbits in the prolific breeding league table.

lol, i think collared doves and magpies are breeding like there is no tomorrow!

Mary Evelyn said:
They are highly, sexual birds..............to be polite. ;)

As Mary suggests, collared doves always seem ready for a bit of the old 'nookety-coo' - regardless of what time of year it is. It's perhaps just as well they only lay two eggs at a time, otherwise we'd be knee-deep in the blighters by now.

If there is an after-life, I want to come back as a collared dove next time as their 'missus' never seems to get a headache! ;)

Anthony

Anthony Morton said:
If there is an after-life, I want to come back as a collared dove next time as their 'missus' never seems to get a headache! ;)

The one in Pauco's garden did - see post 2 of this thread.

Anthony Morton said:
As Mary suggests, collared doves always seem ready for a bit of the old 'nookety-coo' - regardless of what time of year it is. It's perhaps just as well they only lay two eggs at a time, otherwise we'd be knee-deep in the blighters by now.

Anthony
Most of this year when I have watched the males begging for you know what Anthony.The females seemed only interested in the food on my tables.They made the males wait, even though they were bowing and pleading.Just as bad as a headache,don't you think. ;) ;) ;) Also remember the Wish Master,you may come back as the female :flowers: :flowers:

Mary Evelyn said:
Also remember the Wish Master,you may come back as the female :flowers: :flowers:

Blimey, I hadn't thought of that. However, if that happens I'll know exactly what agonies the poor bloke is going through and certainly not keep him waiting by faking a headache - or anything else for that matter! B :) B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back