• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Collared Doves. (1 Viewer)

lapwing1

Hello everyone,

Following on from Anthony's nuthatches for the first time, I heard the smaller birds chittering today (and am always on the lookout for neighbourhood cats - they must hate me!). Many of you have always had the pleasure of collared doves in your gardens but for some reason I never have. Today I looked out to see a pair feeding on my bird table.

I was so pleased, and sat watching them. They seemed quite nervous, I know they are shy birds but probably due to the fact that this is the first time they have actually come down to the table.

I hope they make a regular appearance now they know that food is here for them and the onset of colder weather. Up to now it has been the wood pigeon visiting to steal my seedlings in the early summer!

So another addition to the dining table in my garden, I finally have collared doves!

Anya.

Bubbs

Hi Anya, We have Collared Doves here in sunny York by the barrow load and they are a nuisance.

If you get lots they keep the smaller birds away from the feeding table. Just enjoy the few you have...because soon you may have loads.

John :hi:

Mary Evelyn

Hi Anya,

We have a lot of Collared Doves here but no problems with the other birds.The Sparrows,Starlings,Blackbirds,Finch Family and Robin etc all cope quite well, side by side.The Tit family wait till the mass fly off and come in for their rations.
Our number of Doves has dropped at the moment to around 20.They do eat rather a lot though ha ha and I started with a couple too.So be warned |;|

The Doves often fight amongst themselves but don't bother about the other birds.Maybe it is down to where we live.We have always had Collared Doves.

Bridie

lapwing1 said:
Hello everyone,

They seemed quite nervous, I know they are shy birds

Anya.

Ours are far from shy and nervous, in fact they are sometimes very dominant and frighten away the smaller birds, I have to provide seed for the sparrows and dunnocks that is out of read of the doves.

However my Mum (92 yrs) loves them, she says they are beautiful birds with glorious fantails, so at least they have 2 fans!!

Bridie

lapwing1

Bridie said:
Ours are far from shy and nervous, in fact they are sometimes very dominant and frighten away the smaller birds, I have to provide seed for the sparrows and dunnocks that is out of read of the doves.

However my Mum (92 yrs) loves them, she says they are beautiful birds with glorious fantails, so at least they have 2 fans!!

Bridie

Oh dear,

Well I hope they do not become too abundant in that case! We just don't seem to have many of them here where I live, we hardly see them. More wood pigeon as I said.

As I watched them today, a couple of starlings seemed happy to feed alongside them along with house sparrows and the tits still nipped in and out to pick seed and up into the elder again.

I suppose although I enjoyed having them and seeing them, the morale of the story is to hope they don't increase to more than a pair!

Thank you all.

roosmum

lapwing1 said:
Oh dear,

Well I hope they do not become too abundant in that case! We just don't seem to have many of them here where I live, we hardly see them. More wood pigeon as I said.

As I watched them today, a couple of starlings seemed happy to feed alongside them along with house sparrows and the tits still nipped in and out to pick seed and up into the elder again.

I suppose although I enjoyed having them and seeing them, the morale of the story is to hope they don't increase to more than a pair!

Thank you all.

Sorry Anya, that's a vain hope.... you did say you had a pair and if there's one thing collared doves are good at.... ;)

lapwing1

roosmum said:
Sorry Anya, that's a vain hope.... you did say you had a pair and if there's one thing collared doves are good at.... ;)

Roosmum,

An even bigger oh dear! :eek!:

I enjoyed having them, maybe they were just venturing further afield looking for food.

However, there is always the sparrowhawks...... (I didn't mean it honestly, just tongue in cheek!)

Anya

Last edited:

Ant

North Wales birder
lapwing1 said:
Roosmum,

An even bigger oh dear! :eek!:

I enjoyed having them, maybe they were just venturing further afield looking for food.

However, there is always the sparrowhawks...... (I didn't mean it honestly, just tongue in cheek!)

Anya

Hi Anya,

A few weeks back, I had 9 collered doves in the garden, along with jacdaws, ended up with them all taking flight, and a sparrowhawk taking one, I never seen any birds in my garden for a day and a half, but they returned, as they always do.

lapwing1

Mary Evelyn said:
You can say that again..........Twice B :) B :) B :) ;)

Hello Anthony and all,

It is really unusual, I have been here in this present house for almost four years and always fed the birds, although I must admit my feeders and variety of food have built over time, and just now they start to visit and so many of you having problems with collared doves.

Do they breed that easily? I knew pigeons could but with such a lack of the c/doves here, I thought it was great to have a pair visit.

I shall wait and see if it has been a bad omen :h?: in months to come.

:stuck:

Anya

Mary Evelyn

lapwing1 said:
Hello Anthony and all,

It is really unusual, I have been here in this present house for almost four years and always fed the birds, although I must admit my feeders and variety of food have built over time, and just now they start to visit and so many of you having problems with collared doves.

Do they breed that easily? I knew pigeons could but with such a lack of the c/doves here, I thought it was great to have a pair visit.

I shall wait and see if it has been a bad omen :h?: in months to come.

:stuck:

Anya

Collared Doves have a long breeding season,that goes on and on and on.Sometimes you wonder, when it is going to end.

I don't mind them one bit.They can feed here anytime....

wilmauk

I've had a pair of collared doves visiting my garden for the last year. I love having them (I've nicknamed them George and Mildred...how sad). They've become quite tame, feeding whilst I'm in the garden, and in no way have they bothered the other birds. I've not had any other CD's in the garden even though there's a healthy population up here...I really do enjoy their visits.

Gramayr

Slightly barking..
john barclay said:
... We have Collared Doves here in sunny York by the barrow load and they are a nuisance.

If you get lots they keep the smaller birds away from the feeding table. Just enjoy the few you have...because soon you may have loads.

John :hi:
I can second that, here in Pop' we have 2 that are regulars and are sometimes to be found dozing on top of the fence next to the hanging birdtable. That's unless the squirel chases them off

Liebchen

Hi Lapwing and all. I started off with two Collared Doves and now I have 20 a day! (o)<

I had to re-design my hanging feeders as the doves could sit on the seed trays and eat all the sunflower hearts. But not longer!! :t: I've lowered the trays with chains and now they can't reach anymore. :-O :-O

Now the doves go where they suppose to go on the bird table. My hanging feeder stand is popular with the doves for 'making babies'. :'D

Enjoy!! I do. o:D

Liebchen

lapwing1

Liebchen said:
Hi Lapwing and all. I started off with two Collared Doves and now I have 20 a day! (o)<

I had to re-design my hanging feeders as the doves could sit on the seed trays and eat all the sunflower hearts. But not longer!! :t: I've lowered the trays with chains and now they can't reach anymore. :-O :-O

Now the doves go where they suppose to go on the bird table. My hanging feeder stand is popular with the doves for 'making babies'. :'D

Enjoy!! I do. o:D

Liebchen

Hello Liebchen,

I like that very much, 'popular for making babies'.

I do hope they stay around, and I understand what everyone has replied, but I just never seem to see them here, we are in quite rural country area, whether that has something to do with it.

I shall continue to enjoy them, along with my other greedy lots, the starlings, sparrows etc.

I have to accept that if I put out the food, there will be visitors, and if I can help them all through the winter, then I will be more than happy to.

Thank you to all for your replies.

Anya

Users who are viewing this thread