• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collins Apps (1 Viewer)

HL7222

United Kingdom
Hi,

looking to instal the Collins app on my iPhone and iPad. If I start with the cheaper British birds only version, can I pay later to add on the European birds... or should I just spend out now for the Euro version (presuming that includes the British examples?)

Thanks
P

Welcome to the forum!

As far as I know it is an either or, you can’t just upgrade it unfortunately - everything in the British is in the Euro full version. I would just go with the full version unless you just want it for say more common birds for the garden or a park walk etc, or you think you might be overwhelmed. If you are keen to get fully into birding then the full guide is almost a must have in my opinion.

Welcome to the forum!

As far as I know it is an either or, you can’t just upgrade it unfortunately - everything in the British is in the Euro full version. I would just go with the full version unless you just want it for say more common birds for the garden or a park walk etc, or you think you might be overwhelmed. If you are keen to get fully into birding then the full guide is almost a must have in my opinion.
Thanks,

Odd you can’t upgrade. However I shall just go with the Euro version. Who knows one day we might be allowed to travel again.

Are there versions for other parts of the world in other app stores? Or just these?

P

Thanks,

Odd you can’t upgrade. However I shall just go with the Euro version. Who knows one day we might be allowed to travel again.

Are there versions for other parts of the world in other app stores? Or just these?

P
I think the very good Collins is limited to these two, but there are other bird guides available as apps if you search the app store a few more do come up, and maybe others might be able to guide you to any good ones, or alternatively I have a few pdf bird books saved to my phone from Bloomsbury publishing (there are a lot of specific country and bird family books available!) and also you can get a few for the Kindle app such as the Wildguides series - Europe‘s Birds is coming out in the summer (I have pre-ordered for Kindle myself) which I expect to be even better than Britain’s Birds which I already have on Kindle.

Last edited:
Excellent, thank you. I have purchased the Euro version of the Collins. Just enjoying it’s ‘calls‘ feature at the moment.

Odd question, but is there a Shazam style app (one that ‘listens’ to a live call and identifies the bird on the fly?)

has some additional birding apps for the world

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back