• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collins Field Guide on PocketPC (1 Viewer)

David,
you're right! The directory name is "Bird eGuide" and I have it on my SD card .
What I suspect is missing inside "Bird eGuide" is a file vsd_setup.txt and cannot imagine its content.... At least a ppc utitlity seems to show that.
If you could check and may be send me..... I would appreciate very much
TIA

Amedeo

The Bird eGuide directory is on my PDA not the SD directory. The directory contains the following files
adocewrapper
datastore
harper collins
eubirds
inthehand.adocenet
vsd_setup

I do not think the vsd_setup is a txt file

David

David,
the list of files is exactly the same. I have it on SD just because when tapping on the *.CAB file and the installation starts my selection is "external card" rather "internal memory". the vsd_setup file is a .dll but running SK TOOLS I see a vsd_setup.txt line marked in red. For that reason I was suspecting that this file was missing.
In any case thanks a lot for your time...
Amedeo

Guys,
I have installed the eguides software onto my device and its now sitting on the device memory in 'program files' and the edata directory is on the storage card.
When i run the app i keep getting 'unable to locate data folder. enter memory card folder name in the datastore.txt file' no matter what path i enter into the test file the error reappears.
Could somebody please tell me what they have in the datastore.txt file please.

Cheers

Mines says either
Storage Card
or
Storage Card2

Using File Explorer looking under 'my device' you will see whatever the the card is called.

Sometimes I have to re-seat the card and press the reset button.

Maybe I discovered the origin of my problems...
Looking at Wild Sounds web site seems that the application has problems on Mio A 201.
My PPC is a Medion P1500 which is a clone of Mio....
I,m so p....
A.

I tried installing the software on nokia E71 but it seems that the software does not support the operational system of the device (symbian v9.2). Or the other way around ;) Does anyone know of a way i can use this software with the device? Cheers!

Last edited:
I tried installing the software on nokia E71 but it seems that the software does not support the operational system of the device (symbian v9.2). Does anyone know of a way i can use this software with the device? Cheers!
I'm afraid there is no way at all. Which is a shame as I have the Collin's Guide as well as the similar guides for South African birds, mammals and general wildlife. The problem is that I don't use my PDA for anything else, whereas my phone does go everywhere with me.

Hm! Thank s lot! It's quite a shame indeed. We'll be waiting for the updated versions of the e-guide. I can still see the plates and play the sounds but they are not organised and usable as in the e-guide.

can anybody help

I have moved the eguide to a new PDA with a microSD card by simply copying the files from the original SD card to the microSD card.

However, the programme is not accepting the activation code. Should I have uninstalled the propramme from my old PDA first.

Thanks

David

Last edited:
I was also impressed, shame it doesn't work on the Palm system as I have an "ancient" Handspring Treo

Hello Geoff noticed you were on line and am having trouble loading the collins e guide on a palm 750 phone running windows 5. Will it not work? :-C
Thanks
Helen

wnPDA also has pics, information and sounds in their program. This programm also talks with a GPS and so you can also store your sightings directly on the spot in a programm. You enter the name of the bird, the GPS gives the coordinates of the spot and the PDA determines the time of your sighting. It is also possible to synchronise your data with a http://observado.org you you can watch it everywhere you like.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back