• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cometes mossia Gould, 1853 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Cometes mossia Gould, 1853 OD here
...the third species named C. Mossia, after its discoverer.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Purple-tailed Comet Cometes mossia Gould, 1853 NCR [Hybrid of Lesbia victoriae x Chalcostigma herrani]
Monsieur Mossa (DNF) was a collector near Popayán, Colombia.

The Key to Scientific Names
"Of the genus Cometes, to which the new bird belonged, two species had already been described, the C. Sparganurus and C. Phaon, and he proposed for the third species the name of C. Mossia, after its discoverer." (Gould 1853); "COMETES? GLYCERIA, Gould. ... The only example known, and which is in my own collection, was procured by M. Mossa, near Popoyan in Columbia, and by him sent to M. Parzudaki of Paris, from whom I obtained it. I regret to find that some confusion exists with regard to the specific name of this fine bird. Aware of its interest in a scientific point of view, I exhibited the specimen to the Natural History Section of the British Association for the Advancement of Science, at their meeting in Hull in 1853, and suggested the name of Mossai as its specific appelation; but in an after-conversation, my friend the late Prince Charles Lucien Bonaparte advised me to give it the name of Glyceria as being a more appropriate name for so beautiful a bird, and this name having appeared in the Prince's and other lists of the family prior to the publication of the British Association Report, it is the one which must be adopted. M. Mossa being thus deprived of the compliment I had intended him, I beg here to testify to the value of his discovery, and to record my sense of M. Parzudaki's kindness in giving me the first offer of so fine a bird." (Gould 1861) (syn. Lesbia x Ramphomicron).

If Mossa probably not related to Mrs Moss, of Otterspool honored in Cattleya mossiae. And Bacilio Mossa seems not the correct time.

Last edited:
The type label says Mossa

Alexis Mossa 1844–1926 was the founding curator of the Musée des Beaux-Arts de Nice

BIRTH OCTOBER 15, 1844 • Bogota, Cundinamarca, Colombia
DEATH 2 DEC 1926 • Nice, Côte-d'Or, Bourgogne, France

The name is unusual if French and from wiki we read

"de parents niçois (François-Isidore Mossa - issu d'une famille savoyarde établie à Nice vers 1730, les Mossaz devenus Mossa à cause d'une mauvaise transcription d'état-civil"

Given the rarity of the name it is possible that the source of this bird is François-Isidore Mossa from a Savoyard family established in Nice around 1730

Last edited:
Alexis is too young.
nous sur François Jean Baptiste Isidore Mossa " On dirait une banlieue du nord sous un ciel méridional , l'en( Nice 1821 - Nice 1876 ).

Gustav Adolf Mossa: 1883-1971(French) Paperback – January 1, 1985​

Jean-Roger Soubiran (Author)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back