• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coming to Barbados Feb 2 - Feb 9, 2013 (1 Viewer)

cdmazoff

Hello All.. I'm coming to Barbados and wanted to do some birding.. I am quite upset about Graeme Hall being closed.

I will be staying in Prospect Bay at the Waves.... If anyone wants to team up for a day that would be great..

Other than that.. where are some good spots to go when I get there.. Mostly I will be snorkelling; but I also want to do birding

CD
Victoria BC

Take a look at this page: http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Barbados for 5 locations mentioned (including Graeme Hall).

The only endemic species currently recognized (Bullfinch) is likely to be around your hotel, and make sure you notice the Grackles (could be a future split). Additionally, be aware that European visitors are quite likely, like the one flock of Wigeons I heard about a couple of years ago with 3 Eur. ones among about 12 birds.

Niels

One more thing that needs to be mentioned: learn to see the difference between for example Little Egret and Snowy Egret, this is the best place on the west of the Atlantic to see Little. Likewise, Grey Heron is possible and as mentioned above, other species with European origin

Niels

PS: notice the African Green Monkey running around.

Niels

Why is it that Barbados turns up plenty of european birds compared to other islands in the Caribbean ?

Steve

Two things: the island is further east, it has some wetlands where especially herons, ducks, etc can rest for a while, and most important, there is a higher density of bird watchers than any other island in the Lesser Antilles.

The second "best" set of islands is Guadeloupe, at least in part due to more birders/

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back