• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Comments on Viking GR 8 x 45 (1 Viewer)

I have just returned from an excellent local shop in Norwich - vey helpful - where I tried a range of bins including Leica BN, Zeiss FL etc etc. But I explained that these are out of my price range, so I also tried RSPB and Viking. Now don't laugh, but I reckon the Viking GR 8x45 were excellent. They just seemed to suit me, unlike, for example, the 8x32 where I got odd 'blackout' effects. They seemed just as good as the expensive ones, except perhaps the Zeiss which were exceptionally bright.

One effect I noticed, and it's not easy to explain, is that as soon as you put them up to your eyes the image is there. Most of the expensive bins were like that but some of the less others were not.

OK, so I know a £249 bin is not the greatest but to my untrained eye it looked just as good as the posh ones. And it felt just right for me.

So, I would be extremely interested to hear any comments on these bins?

Thanks

don't worry about what anyone else thinks - if they work for you and feel right (very important that you like the feel/balance of them) then buy them! We'd all love to buy the top of the range, but 99.9% of us have limited budgets to work with and so buy the best we can afford. Have the courage of your convictions and blow everyone else!
B

barry robson said:
don't worry about what anyone else thinks - if they work for you and feel right (very important that you like the feel/balance of them) then buy them! We'd all love to buy the top of the range, but 99.9% of us have limited budgets to work with and so buy the best we can afford. Have the courage of your convictions and blow everyone else!
B

Thanks Barry. You're right, and I did. I went for another 'session' just to be sure and came to the same conclusion - so bought them. Tell you one thing - they're better than my Boots Admiral 10 x 50 which cost £7 12s 6d

Dave

Good luck with the bins - cheap isn't necessarily bad - hang on to the Admirals! I bought a pair if Dixon own brand Chinon binoculars (10x50) in the early 70's and they are still in use on a daily basis in the study - and they are still going strong, battered and tatty as they are. Can't remember how much they cost though. I had my next pair - Hartmann 10x50 (£175) - for 25 years and they are still going strong and are used by my wife (very light weight) but last year I treated myself to a pair of 10x52 Minox for £488. and they are great, again used on a daily basis and subject to some very hard wear. Obviously I'd love a pair of Leica, Swaros or Zeiss but we all have to cut our cloth…

çheers

B

More info

Bird Watching mag ran a survey in May 2005 issue of bins under £350 (8x32) and the Viking 8x32 beat the more expensive Bushnell, Kowa and Steiner models. Their optical performance was rated along with the top 2 bins - Ace Avian and RSPB Fine Grade (these are supplied to the RSPB by Viking) at 8/10

Cheers

B

barry robson said:
More info

Bird Watching mag ran a survey in May 2005 issue of bins under £350 (8x32) and the Viking 8x32 beat the more expensive Bushnell, Kowa and Steiner models. Their optical performance was rated along with the top 2 bins - Ace Avian and RSPB Fine Grade (these are supplied to the RSPB by Viking) at 8/10

Cheers

B

Thanks for that Barry. Very interesting. Luckily I only live about 10 miles from Viking HQ in Halesworth so I was able to visit the 'horses mouth'. Once again I tried nearly everything, and for the price I kept coming back to these. I couldn't get on with the 8 x 32, and I think the reason is eye relief. Basically, I need a long one and the Viking 8 x 45 is as long as the longest. I looked at the RSPB but couldn't see any difference apart from the price. I think the RSPB and Viking are made in the same factory, but with different lenses, or at least different colour lenses.

I know, and Viking clearly pointed it out, that in less than ideal conditions the expensive bins are clearly better, but I'm an occasional user and simply can't justify the price.

So, I'm very happy with my choice. And although I won't be throwing away my Boots Admirals, the difference is amazing. I didn't realise how poor the Admirals were until I used these.

Dave

Yes, the Halesworth shop is good, I lived in Suffolk for about 25 years until we moved to Cumbria 4 years ago (a bit different - miss the pubs) and for about the last year lived in Campsea Ashe, not that far from Halesworth, which has excellent birdwatching along the river and around all the reed beds, plus plenty of walks across country.
B

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back