• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Black-Hawk, Arizona (1 Viewer)

zoutedrop

zoutedrop
Caught this bird this morning NE of Phoenix. It is a Common Black-Hawk. I need to know if this picture is definitive for the species. Alternative I think maybe a Harris's. Can't count the bird unless I can get independent confirmation. Thanks.

Attachments

• COBH.jpg
    COBH.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 115
Caught this bird this morning NE of Phoenix. It is a Common Black-Hawk. I need to know if this picture is definitive for the species. Alternative I think maybe a Harris's. Can't count the bird unless I can get independent confirmation. Thanks.

I 'Bird' with Matt and took this shot of the same bird. The field ID was Common Black-Hawk but our rules are that there must be photo confirmation.
Time sequence of the two cameras confirm that this is the same bird... We sync the camera timers prior to each bird outing.

This shot(s) shows a different view... perhaps enough for an ID.

Fraser

Attachments

• BH1.jpg
    BH1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 70
  • BH4.jpg
    BH4.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 71
  • BH5.jpg
    BH5.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 56
I was hoping for a simple, black vs brown, or white band on the tail rather than the rump.

I guess neither comment can be made.(?)

Broad white band on tail and narrow white terminal band on tail and 6 fingers on outer primaries look good for CBH. See plates 207 and 208 in Wheeler's Western Edition.

Bob

Last edited:
From what I can tell it looks exactly like a Common Black Hawk.
We don't have them here and I've never seen one, but I did some research and it seems that is what you have. I read that they can come off as a vulture and I can see why people say that.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back