• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Buzzard with white tail and UTC's. (1 Viewer)

KenM

Most Common Buzzards I see London/Essex are usually of a dark persuasion to include the tail and UTC's, this one (I was fortunate with the light) showed not just a contrasting white tail with dark terminal band, but also white UTC's. Have to assume that this is not an uncommon feature?....if so I'll have to get out more.

Cheers

Attachments

• P2160474.jpeg    Whitetailed CB.jpeg
    P2160474.jpeg Whitetailed CB.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 119
  • P2160510.jpeg   White tailed CB 2..jpeg
    P2160510.jpeg White tailed CB 2..jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 84
Looks pretty normal to me. And certainly not got a white tail, nothing like an adult WTEagle :king:

It might not be “Snow White” Nutty...however what colour would you describe it as then, cos I ain’t seen one this pale before hereabouts? :eek!:

Looks pretty normal to me. And certainly not got a white tail, nothing like an adult WTEagle :king:
The body and wings look normal, but the tail seems pretty extreme to me, particularly seeing as the rest of the bird is a "standard" CB (both in proportions and pattern/colour). Maybe it's a just lighting issue (I'm on a phone right now), but I'd expect a tail like this to belong a much paler individual.

Tail-and flightfeathers in Common Buzzards are 'white-and-dark-patterned' in any case.
This buzzard shows still a pale 'U' to its chest. As in dark morph Steppe Buzzard; this pale 'U' would have been absent. As a rule of thumb: a white vent in the WP implies an intermediate or pale morph or a species with a whitish underbody in just any medium-sized raptor.
Contrarywise then, the absence of white undertail coverts in the WP, implies a dark morph or just a uniform dark raptor
..so this bird will be left intermediate in its morph somehow.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back