• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Common Gallinule/Moorhen (1 Viewer)

Jack Dawe

The AOU recognise the Common Gallinule and Moorhen as different species (Gallinula galeata and Gallinula chloropus respectively). I've no idea whether the two are split on this side of the pond, but if the former were to turn up in the UK, how would you identify it?

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
IOC, and therefore also BOU, recognise them as different species too.

Look for the subtly different shape shield.

G. galeata has a broader, more flat-topped shield:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Gallinula_galeata_(Polla_gris)_(17011775272).jpg

G. chloropus has a slightly narrower, more rounded top to the shield:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:poule_d%27eau_15feb15_1961.jpg

You'd probably need a decent set of photos from different angles to be really certain. Better yet, get a poo sample.

Edit: just to add - no idea how to distinguish juveniles!

Last edited:

Jack Dawe

Thanks for the pointers. Looks like there might be a potential first for Britain waiting in the wings there, though I'll not be holding my breath! A quick sampling of calls on xeno-canto suggests that there is some variety in both species, so I wonder how clear cut their differences are - but maybe I have never listened to Moorhens critically enough.

PYRTLE

Old Berkshire Boy
I don't think it's on many UK lister's or rarity finder's radar as a bird to seek out. Perhaps more difficult to identify than say, a ruby-crowned kinglet in autumn.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread