• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Greenshank in Veracruz, Mexico ? (1 Viewer)

Jens Thalund

On 17 March 2022 I visited Playa Juan Angel, just north of Heroica Veracruz on the Gulf coast of Mexico. There were a few waders roosting on a small jetty at the rivermouth - Stilts, Willets and Greater Yellowlegs - and I took a few photographs of the flock before walking further inland.

Finally having time to go through my photographs, I notice that the Tringa-sandpiper to the front right does not show the bright yellow legs of the Greater Yellowlegs next to it, but more a light greenish colour. It seems to be the same size and stature as the Greater Yellowlegs, but I have never seen any Yellowlegs with such dull coloured legs. The bright yellow legs are usually one of the major ID-cllnchers when faced with any Yellowlegs, but I am wondering if there is any variation in the yellow colour, that I'm not aware of?

As I didn't pay any special attention to the bird at the time, it was unfortunately never seen in flight.

Happy to hear any thoughts on this bird

cheers

Jens

Attachments

• P1570536.JPG
    P1570536.JPG
    588.7 KB · Views: 114
  • P1570541.JPG
    P1570541.JPG
    650.8 KB · Views: 113
  • P1570542.JPG
    P1570542.JPG
    481.9 KB · Views: 112
I have familiarity with the birds of Mexico, but if I saw that front bird in the UK I'd assume Greenshank...

Greenshank has a stronger (higher) bill, with a blunter tip. I even wonder if it is a Lesser Yellowlegs since bill looks so short and thin. But surely not a Greenshank.

Bird in front is lesser yellowlegs. Bird 2 birds back on the right is presumably immature greater yellowlegs but it's a dead ringer for Greenshank (whitish face/lores, upturned bill with bluish base etc)

I am convinced, that all Yellowlegs are Greater...especially standing next to the Stilts, their size is that of Greenshank, and the bills are too long and strong for Lesser...

I'm especially puzzled by the leg colour on the bird in front ... can Yellowlegs be that dull?

Jens

I am convinced, that all Yellowlegs are Greater...especially standing next to the Stilts, their size is that of Greenshank, and the bills are too long and strong for Lesser...

I'm especially puzzled by the leg colour on the bird in front ... can Yellowlegs be that dull?

Jens
I'm with Lou (as you saw). By eye, the length of the bill of the front bird is only slightly longer than the width of its head. Its bill appears thinner than most others there. We can't adequately assess size in the last picture although it does appear smaller than the other birds behind. I would call it lesser yellowlegs but happy for you to disagree. Plumage-wise it's not a good match for Greenshank (in contrast to the bird a few behind which is)

As to leg colour, yes they vary quite a bit. We can see different shades of yellow amongst the others in the pic

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back