• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Gull? - İstanbul Turkey (1 Viewer)

babuccu

Turkey
Hello everyone,

I photographed this individual in İstanbul today. Gulls give me hard time trying to determine the species and I think this guy might be a Common gull. Comments are appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• 36C153F6-B46A-41EF-B841-2658888281A8.jpeg
    36C153F6-B46A-41EF-B841-2658888281A8.jpeg
    864.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 6E2197B9-469E-4481-A5DA-308CD8B1E79C.jpeg
    6E2197B9-469E-4481-A5DA-308CD8B1E79C.jpeg
    976.5 KB · Views: 95
I would guess this is a Yellow-legged Gull. It shows a pale eye, red spot on the bill and the wingtip pattern is wrong for Common Gull.
I don't see a red spot on the bill. I agree the eye is pale but afaik common gull can show this (e.g. esp. kamtschatschensis). I also feel wing pattern is within variation for common. Overall, shape feels dainty and v much like common to me. Perhaps it could be an esp gracile yl but it's common gull for me.

I don't see a red spot on the bill. I agree the eye is pale but afaik common gull can show this (e.g. esp. kamtschatschensis). I also feel wing pattern is within variation for common. Overall, shape feels dainty and v much like common to me. Perhaps it could be an esp gracile yl but it's common gull for me.
The red spot on the bill is pretty clear in the second picture, at least if you zoom in.

The red spot on the bill is pretty clear in the second picture, at least if you zoom in.
I'm only looking on a phone but I can't see anything other than slightly orangish hue to lower mandible. I see nothing which matches the discrete spot you'd expect. I feel the bill is uniform yellowish given quality of the pic.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back