• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Common or Chihuahan Raven? US, NM, Valles Caldera, August (1 Viewer)

mightyflier

United States
So if I understand the field guides, white-based neck feathers argues in favor of Chihuahan Raven and is a pretty strong field mark. (Also the day was partly overcast so I don't think the feathers are appearing falsely white from glare.)

However, Chihuahan is rare for northwest New Mexico, and the head profile is more like the Common Raven pictures I see.

So which is it? Could this be a hybrid? Do these ravens hybridize?

Also, is this an immature or just a molting bird or either? Sibley's field guide seems to suggest that immatures expose neck feather bases but this could just be an effect of not having enough space to clarify everything.

Attachments

• 2020-12-24 18_55_07-MasterCatalog.jpg
    2020-12-24 18_55_07-MasterCatalog.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 2020-12-24 18_55_57-MasterCatalog.jpg
    2020-12-24 18_55_57-MasterCatalog.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 12

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
After going through Google images I'm with you on Chihuahuan Raven

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
One additional clue I have seen is the extent of feathering on the upper mandible should be longer on the culmen of Chuhuahuan than Common R. The profile shot is borderline supportive of that.

Niels

mightyflier

United States
Much more on the identification of these two with a Colorado point of view: https://cobirds.org/Publications/ColoradoBirds/InTheScope/63.pdf

Shoots down the bristle length as useful, at least in Colorado! However, the color at the base of the neck feathers also is stated as variable ...

Niels
Thanks Niels, I really enjoyed the article you posted. :)

Still not perfectly certain, but I have more information, and perhaps that's the most that can be hoped for!

Users who are viewing this thread