• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common or Honey Buzzard-silhouette? (1 Viewer)

mike w

A Buzzard seen flying away which appeared long tailed and long winged.
I managed a quick photo of the silhouette. Can anyone help with this poor quality photo?
Location was Fife, Scotland on Monday 14 Sep.

Attachments

• buzzard855.JPG
    buzzard855.JPG
    7.4 KB · Views: 410
From the head shape i also would plump for Common. Honey would have a long-necked, smaller headed profile, which would be immediately evident in this photo.

Hi all,
It is surprisingly difficult to be sure either way from this angle, as I find that juvenile Honey-buzzards are not as distinctive structurally as adults are, though, from what can be seen, the structure of this bird does suggest Common Buzzard to me: the bird can be aged as a juvenile based on, among other things, the lack of a clearly defined dark trailing edge to the wings, rather dull secondaries etc, and juvenile Common Buzzards have longer tails and narrower wings than adults, thus presenting a subtly different silhouette.

This is a Common Buzzard, apart from the short tail and short but massive head you can actually see a continuum of narrow bars on the tail. For me wing structure rules out Honey as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back