• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common or pallid swifts? Location: Bulgaria (1 Viewer)

petar1

Hi guys!

Are these swifts common or pallid? I am seeing them every year flying around my flat. It seems they are nesting under the gutter.

Date: 08 July, 2015

Thank you,
Petar

Attachments

• apus1_1.JPG
    apus1_1.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 205
  • apus2_2.JPG
    apus2_2.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 99
  • apus1.jpg
    apus1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 180
  • apus2.jpg
    apus2.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 104
  • apus3.jpg
    apus3.jpg
    547.4 KB · Views: 137
Large white throats, dark eye patch, hint of scaling on body, and paler inner primaries (pic 3) all suggest Pallid to me.

What time do they stay until in autumn? If still present in mid-late Sept or Oct, then Pallid for sure.

I agree with pallid swift. The Collins guide is counter-productive in this. The distribution map doesn't have pallid swift in Bulgaria at all yet is it a known (but fairly rare) breeder.

The Collins guide is counter-productive in this. The distribution map doesn't have pallid swift in Bulgaria at all yet is it a known (but fairly rare) breeder.

Hadn't noticed the Collins map was so out-of-date! Pallids breed widely, and fairly commonly, in Bulgaria now, and in some surprising locations. The most remarkable is on the Musala mountain chalet at 2715m altitude, where they can be seen taking food in to 2nd brood chicks in heavy snow in late October :eek!:

A good spot for casual tourist visitors to Bulgaria is the Rila Monastery; there's 20-30 pairs breeding there, very easy to watch at eye level from the upper balconies.

A good spot for casual tourist visitors to Bulgaria is the Rila Monastery; there's 20-30 pairs breeding there, very easy to watch at eye level from the upper balconies.

Thanks for the tip! Been meaning to visit Rila for ages, will definitely make a trip this Summer.

Perhaps this little aide memoir I drew a few weeks back might help .....

Nice one! Whole pic looks a bit pale on my screen though (i.e., both Pallid and Common lighter than they should be)? Also the note "beware Commons with full crops" should be "... full throat pouches" :t:

Nice one! Whole pic looks a bit pale on my screen though (i.e., both Pallid and Common lighter than they should be)? Also the note "beware Commons with full crops" should be "... full throat pouches" :t:

The original is darker, but using coloured pencils (for convoluted reasonsI can't use paint at the moment) seems to make the scan come out too light. Adjusting the scanner to make it darker means a loss of detail. Mind you, at the right angle and in strong light both can look that pale. Thanks for the crops/pouches detail, I never knew there was a difference!

On the same theme...a bit pale for Apus apus?

Attachments

• P1110585 (2) A Swift at nest site 3..jpg
    P1110585 (2) A Swift at nest site 3..jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 71
  • P1110586 (2) A Swift at nest site 2..jpg
    P1110586 (2) A Swift at nest site 2..jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 80
I agree with pallid swift. The Collins guide is counter-productive in this. The distribution map doesn't have pallid swift in Bulgaria at all yet is it a known (but fairly rare) breeder.

The Pallid Swift is a very common breeder in Southern Bulgaria, especially in the mountains, but also forms mixed colonies with Common Swifts in the cities, such exist in Sofia for example. Recently it has been confirmed from several towns in Northern Bulgaria as far north as Silistra on the Danube River. Last year it was reported from Romania and I assume they will find it breeding in some of the towns along the Bulgarian border soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back