• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Common or parrot crossbill, western Norway (1 Viewer)

Redmist

Supporter
Norway
I saw this bird and heard a bird (not sure if it’s the same one) close to the coast today (august) in western Norway. I’m not at all experienced with crossbillls so I need some more experienced eyes and ears for an opinion. I only have this poor photo but from this angle the bill looks quite big and bulky, and the call sounds deeper than the common crossbill in my Collins app. So possibly a parrot then? Thanks for the help

Attachments

• 70F339FF-D6CE-4D14-A69D-009DB494607E.jpeg
    70F339FF-D6CE-4D14-A69D-009DB494607E.jpeg
    368.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Red Crossbill 2021-08-26 11:33:01 in Bakkasund.wav
    749.1 KB · Views: 1

Redmist

Supporter
Norway
Thanks CARERY for the quick and precise response. That was my first conclusion but I started to doubt myself when I got home and studied the pictures. And thanks for the link to BIF, looks like a great resource for future 👍

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread