• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common or Wood Sandpiper? (1 Viewer)

Owen Krout

United States
I feel confident about this ID, but it has been questioned, so I'm submitting it to ya'll.

August 25, 2020, Panjin, Liaoning, China. A wetland area, not quite marsh, but heavy rain the day before. This single sandpiper showed an amazing lack of fear of humans, so I was able to get some excellent closeup photos. I'll admit that my immediate thought when I was surprised upon walking right up on this sandpiper and it not taking flight was that it was a Wood Sandpiper due to the patterning on the back, but quickly noted the white blaze on the shoulder, more indicative of a Common. Shorter tail would work for Wood though. It was silent and never flew, just wandering off into denser cover.

Wood have been common in the immediate area this year, but I have found Common in the past.

Attachments

• Common Sandpiper.jpeg
    Common Sandpiper.jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Common Sandpiper (1).jpeg
    Common Sandpiper (1).jpeg
    388.9 KB · Views: 71
  • NT4A1817.jpeg
    NT4A1817.jpeg
    327.7 KB · Views: 41
  • NT4A1803.jpeg
    NT4A1803.jpeg
    397.3 KB · Views: 57
Yeah, it probably is. At any rate after sorting through images, I have decided that it is indeed a Wood with an anomalous marking.

Can happen with any bird. The bend of the wing got tucked underneath body feathers. It's not a field mark.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back