• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Scoter, Ayrshire Coast, UK (1 Viewer)

bongofury

I only had bins available today while on Cumbrae and looking west from the island I saw a flock c50 of what appeared to be dark brown ducks positioned reasonably tightly together. I could see no stand out features but they had behaviour which I'm hoping points to them being Common Scoter: when they dived they all went under, almost simultaneously and with the minimum of fuss.

I have seen Velvet Scoter at distance before and I can usually make out something distinguishing on them but not one of these birds had any white marks, noticeable legs or eye markings.

Sounds like Common Scoter but not sure you have anything diagnostic. One thing they do which is very distinctive is lift out of the water and shake their wings and move their head forward. I haven't described it very well, but when you see it you will know it as something different.

Thanks Stephen. I didn't see any of that behaviour unfortunately but after repeated trawls through Collins I can't get away from Common Scoter.

Could it have been Guillimots? Sometimes I see them also in largs flocks diving simultaneously. The Guillimots that I see right now from Largs are all in summer plumage.

Cheers,
Rik

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back