• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

compact camera help wanted (1 Viewer)

gordon hamlett

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations for a compact camera up to £200. It 's going to be used mainly for landscapes but I might try experimenting with a bit of digiscoping (probably hand held to start with).

A quick google suggests a Canon Ixus 870 IS or a Panasonic Lumix FX500 but I am open to any suggestions at all.

Any advice as to the current best buys will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Gordon

i have a ricoh r7 (which is for sale after tommorow )
its great because its has a 28mm wide lens for landscapes but also has 7x optical zoom
so you have a 28-200mm reach along with a great macro which cloe focuses upto 10mm

i use it handheld on my opticrion scope but im selling it as i dont have the scope anymore

wide angle lens is best for landscapes but with a zoom (optical) you can pick out landscapes further away with a point and shoot i wouldnt get too caught up in having massive mp like 10 or 12 the sensors arent really upto it anyways anything over 6mp would be fine

im not a fan of the lumix range the one i tested was really bad in low light anything other than a really sunny day was below average for the price they cost

in a point and shoot i always look at the actual size which was one of the main reasons i bought the ricoh r7 it fits in the palm of your hand and isnt noticable in your pocket

DS

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back